Pool water test kits are certainly much familiar with a lot of pool owners to check for the chemical balance in the chlorine water. Apart from that is another less expensive method that can provide accurate results in a few minutes, which are pool test strips.
They are manufactured from 10 to 100 test strips per package. Inexperienced users would usually doubt their testing quality due to the low price. Still, I can claim that you will be amazed by how quickly they deliver precise chemical measurement rates.
If you are looking forward to testing your pool water chemistry with excellent efficiency in a large amount, you should better rush to purchase some pool test strips. Find out the best pool test strips on the market and other relevant information in this article.
Table of Contents
- What Do Pool Test Strips Mean?
- Top Picks for the Best Pool Test Strips
- Comparison of Top 15 Best Pool Test Strips 2020
- Reviews of the Best Pool Test Strips
- AquaChek Select 7-IN-1 Pool & Spa Test Strips
- Aquachek 561161 Salt Titrators Pool Test Strips
- HTH 6-Way Swimming Pool Test Strips
- GLB 4-Way Pool Water Test Strips
- AquaChek 561140A Salt Water Pool Test Strips
- AquaChek 511710 5-in-1 Pool Chlorine Test Strips
- AquaChek 551236 7-Way Pool Water Test Strips
- Hach 2745250 Total Hardness Pool Test Strips
- Poolmaster 4-Way Pool Water Chemistry Test Strips
- Leisure Time 45010A Pool Test Strips
- AquaChek Yellow Pool Test Strips
- Industrial Test Systems 481339 5 in 1 Pool Test Strips
- LaMotte 3028 6-Way Pool Test Strips
- Clear Pool Expert 6-Way Pool Test Strips
- HoneForest Pool Water Hardness Test Strips
- Finding the Best Pool Test Strips
- How to Read a Pool Test Strip?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Swim Network Overview
What Do Pool Test Strips Mean?
Pool test strips measure a wide range of pool chemicals, in which the highest test number that an average pack can conduct is up to 7 factors. The general list includes free & total chlorine, pH, Bromine, Total Hardness, Alkalinity, and Cyanuric Acid.
The strips are often stored in compact, protective bottles so you can carry them along for convenience in measuring water chemistry. A color chart and comparator might be supplied in the package to support your testing process on site.
Top Picks for the Best Pool Test Strips
It is undoubtedly challenging for new users to decide which pool test strips on the market are indeed the most excellent ones. With my professional help, you can rest assured of chemically balanced, healthy pool water with these best pool test strips.
- Best Overall: AquaChek Select 7-IN-1 Pool & Spa Test Strips
“Brings results in seconds, a color chart and comparator, guidance booklet.”
- Best Budget: Hach 2745250 Total Hardness Pool Test Strips
“Cannot be water soluted, easy to read, works for many water types.”
- Best Test Strips for Salt Water Pool: Aquachek 561161 Salt Titrators
“Benefits for salt generators, results in minutes, instructions on the back.”
- Best Pool pH Test Strips: HTH 6-Way
“Individually wrapped gets instructions from the brand, wide compatibility.”
- The Most Accurate: GLB 4-Way Pool Water Test Strips
“No solutions needed, immediate results in seconds, easy to read the chart.”
- Best for Above Ground Pool: AquaChek 561140A Salt Water Pool Test Strips
“Full directions for using, no assembly required, good for salt generators.”
- Best for Chlorine Test: AquaChek 511710 5-in-1 Pool Chlorine Test Strips
“Compatible with spas, sold in multiple packages, professional chlorine test.”
- Best Value for the Money: AquaChek 551236 7-Way Pool Water Test Strips
“Reusable color chart comparator, 15-sec results, multiple buying options.”
Comparison of Top 15 Best Pool Test Strips 2020
Pool test strips are provided in different counts depend on different brands. Plus, it would help if you discovered what each test strip pack measures in pool water since the variation is enormous. This handmade comparison table is about that of the best pool test strips.
|Pool Test Strips||Dimension (inches)||Weight (oz)||Strip Count||Test For|
|AquaChek Select 7-IN-1 Pool & Spa Test Strips - Best Overall|
|11 x 2 x 7||4.8||50||Total Hardness, Total Chlorine, Total Bromine, Free Chlorine, pH, Total Alkalinity, and Cyanuric Acid|
|Aquachek 561161 Salt Titrators Pool Test Strips - Best Test Strips for Salt Water Pool||4 x 1 x 6||0.8||40||Salt (Sodium Chloride)|
|HTH 6-Way Swimming Pool Test Strips - Best Pool pH Test Strips||1.5 x 3 x 4.5||3.2||30||Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Alkalinity, Total Hardness and Cyanuric Acid|
|GLB 4-Way Pool Water Test Strips - The Most Accurate||2 x 4 x 8||0.352||50||Chlorine, Bromine, pH and Alkalinity|
|AquaChek 561140A Salt Water Pool Test Strips - Best for Above Ground Pool||4 x 1 x 6||0.8||10||Salt (Sodium Chloride)|
|AquaChek 511710 5-in-1 Pool Chlorine Test Strips - Best for Chlorine Test||1 x 1 x 1||1.58||100||Total Chlorine, Total Bromine, Free Chlorine, pH and Total Alkalinity|
|AquaChek 551236 7-Way Pool Water Test Strips - Best Value for the Money||1 x 1 x 1||0.1||100||Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, Bromine, Total Hardness, Total Alkalinity, pH and Cyanuric Acid|
|Hach 2745250 Total Hardness Pool Test Strips - Best Budget||5 x 3 x 1.2||0.64||50||Total Hardness|
|Poolmaster 4-Way Pool Water Chemistry Test Strips||1.5 x 2 x 3.5||.1.58||50||Chlorine, Bromine, pH and Total Alkalinity|
|Leisure Time 45010A Pool Test Strips||3.75 x 1.25 x 7.25||0.352||50||pH, Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Chlorine|
|AquaChek Yellow Pool Test Strips - Best for Stabilizer Test||3 x 1 x 1||1.41||50||Free Chlorine, pH, Total Alkalinity and Stabilizer|
|Industrial Test Systems 481339 5 in 1 Pool Test Strips||3 x 2.2 x 0.6||3.2||50||Total Hardness, Total and Free Chlorine, pH and Alkalinity|
|LaMotte 3028 6-Way Pool Test Strips - Best Rated||1.3 x 1.8 x 5||3.2||50||Free Chlorine/Bromine, Total Chlorine, pH, Alkalinity, Total Hardness and Cyanuric Acid|
|Clear Pool Expert 6-Way Pool Test Strips - Best With App||8.19 x 3.86 x 1.57||1.41||50||Total Hardness, Chlorine, pH, Alkalinity and Stabilizer|
|HoneForest Pool Water Hardness Test Strips||5.2 x 2.1 x 2.1||2.24||100||Total Hardness|
Reviews of the Best Pool Test Strips
You would feel the urgent need to get rid of complicated vials and messy reagent drops by using pool test strips to check for the pool and spa water chemistry. I must say that the best pool test strips underneath have changed my perspective a lot.
AquaChek Select 7-IN-1 Pool & Spa Test Strips
(Best Overall – Editor’s Choice)
This 7-in-1 pool & spa test strips from the brand AquaChek is a complete kit to measure the chemical factors in the water. The strip works to test for Total Hardness, Total Chlorine, Total Bromine, Free Chlorine, pH, Total Alkalinity, and Cyanuric Acid.
There is a total of 50 pool test strips in the kit with a color chart and comparator for you to compare the final results. It is incredibly simple to use with a few steps, and you can gain the outcomes after 15 to 30 seconds. It also includes an excellent guidance booklet.
- It is a 7-in-1 complete chemical test kit.
- It comes with a color chart & a comparator.
- The results are displayed after 15-30 sec.
- It also has a complete guidance booklet.
- The plastic chart holder is of poor quality.
Aquachek 561161 Salt Titrators Pool Test Strips
(Best Test Strips for Salt Water Pool)
Pool and spa owners that use salt generators for their water systems would be delighted about this 40-count Sodium Chloride pool test strip package. The strip can ensure the right chlorine amount is produced from the generators for clearing away contaminants.
It can check for the salt level in the water in the range of 400 to 7,000 ppm, and the outcomes are in after a few minutes. What this AquaChek pool strip can bring is consistent results if you follow the instructions and its color chart on the bottle.
- It is a must for who owns a saltwater pool.
- It helps the salt generator to work out fine.
- The Sodium Chloride testing range is wide.
- It has the instructions & color chart on the back.
- Unreadable results due to a covered sticker.
HTH 6-Way Swimming Pool Test Strips
(Best Pool pH Test Strips)
It is not familiar to me to find individually wrapped pool test strips, but the brand HTH has chosen this packaging to secure their high testing precision. The 6-way test strip can analyze the Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Alkalinity, Total Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid levels.
With several 30 strip counts per container, you can conduct chemical examinations every week for balanced pool water. The results are displayed after a few seconds, and you should find your recommended range on the chart on the back.
- All of the strips are individually wrapped.
- The packaging makes sure of accuracy.
- It is ideal to be used for weekly testing.
- The color chart is provided on the back.
- It needs a scissor to cut & pry it to open.
GLB 4-Way Pool Water Test Strips
(The Most Accurate)
The flip-top bottle containing these 50 pool test strips from GLB is easy to use. In around 10 seconds after dipping the strip into the pool water, you will get its precise results on the crucial chemical factors of Chlorine, pH, Alkalinity, and Bromine.
As a color chart has been integrated right on the side of the bottle, it would help you to read the test outcomes with less hassle easily. Moreover, the 4-way test strip from the brand GLB is compatible with bromine, ozone, and saltwater systems in pools.
- It is stored inside a simple flip-top bottle.
- It gives the correct results after 10 sec.
- It allows you to read a color chart at ease.
- It can work with a lot of other pool systems.
- Sometimes it needs to be swirled to use.
AquaChek 561140A Salt Water Pool Test Strips
(Best for Above Ground Pool)
If you want to check for the salt (Sodium Chloride) rate from 400 to 7,000 ppm in your above ground pool, I would recommend getting 10 of these AquaChek strips. Its container bottle is around 4.1 inches long, so you can bring it along at ease.
There is no complicated assembly required to use this pool test strip, just take it out of the bottle and dip into it. Afterward, the strip will reveal the salt level in it to help you decide what to do next with the salt generator to have a healthy & clean pool.
- It measures salt in all the above-ground pools.
- The container bottle is amazingly portable.
- It does not require any complex installation.
- It supports the salt generator to be better.
- The instructions do not match with its bottle.
AquaChek 511710 5-in-1 Pool Chlorine Test Strips
(Best for Chlorine Test)
Here is another test strip pack manufactured by the brand AquaChek, which offers 5 professional chemical factor tests of Total Chlorine, Total Bromine, Free Chlorine, pH, and Total Alkalinity. 100 pool test strips are sold in 1, 3, 4 pack, and a limited edition.
The 5-in-1 strip can meet the requirements of the high spa water temperatures. You can have a quick objective look at the chlorine residual and its total amount. It has the power to ensure pool water is protected against damages caused by scale formation.
- It provides 5 professional chemical tests.
- It is available in multiple strip packages.
- It is adaptable to spa water temperatures.
- It prevents damages from scale formation.
- The container bottle is not safely secured.
AquaChek 551236 7-Way Pool Water Test Strips
(Best Value for the Money)
If you ask me which product in this article that I believe is the most valuable for the money you will spend, I would suggest the AquaChek 7-in-1 pool test strips. It tests Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, Bromine, Total Hardness, Alkalinity, pH, and Cyanuric Acid.
The AquaChek strip is highly accurate to view your pool water outcomes in about 15 seconds. A color chart comparator is right next to the side of this test strip bottle. You can easily read the test results against this color chart comparator on the side of the bottle.
- It is one of the most valuable for the money.
- It can check for 7 different chemicals.
- The results after 15 seconds are precise.
- A color chart comparator on the bottle side.
- There is no clear, readable expiration date.
Hach 2745250 Total Hardness Pool Test Strips
Water hardness usually increases soap consumption in laundries and also leads to a scaling effect in boilers. That is why you should have this specialized Hach pool test strip to analyze this chemical rate in the water. It costs low for 50 strips in total.
There is nothing else needed besides the strip for Total Hardness examination. I had tested most water kinds (distilled, tap…), and its quick results are accurate. As it has different hues between 2 different colors on the chart, this test strip is much easier to read.
- It is beneficial for analyzing water hardness.
- The 50-strip pack is nowhere expensive.
- It is applied alone to deliver fast outcomes.
- Its color chart is made to be read easily.
- It does not work for fine-tuning a softener.
Poolmaster 4-Way Pool Water Chemistry Test Strips
With 50 pool test strips for pool and spa water from Poolmaster, you can test these important factors of Chlorine, Bromine, pH, and Alkalinity. The pop-top bottle is a one-handed open and closes one. You just need to dip it into the water and read it instantly.
Its container bottle has been desiccant-lined to offer better moisture control and keep the pool test strip dry. There is no requirement to use any bleed-pads to give precise color reading results. The Poolmaster pool test strip also works for saltwater.
- It checks for 4 crucial chemical factors.
- It is stored in a convenient pop-top bottle.
- The bottle works to secure its moisture.
- It does not require to use any bleed-pads.
- It is not to use for pools & spas at once.
Leisure Time 45010A Pool Test Strips
What if you do not own a home pool but a spa or hot tub instead? The brand Leisure Time has produced pool test strips that are specifically meant for this occasion. It can work well with almost all chlorine and ozone sanitizers in these systems with 50 strips.
A color chart is equipped right on the container bottle for easy reading of the results. Everything can be completed fast with this pool test strip from Leisure Time. I highly recommend trying this bulk out thanks to its high precision in chemical testing.
- It performs well for all hot tubs and spas.
- It works with chlorine & ozone sanitizers.
- It comes with a side color chart comparator.
- The results are really quick and reliable.
- It does not guide how to read the scate.
AquaChek Yellow Pool Test Strips
(Best for Stabilizer Test)
The yellow pool test strip from the brand AquaChek can also analyze the Cyanuric Acid (Stabilizer) level in pool water, besides the more important factors. This chemical is vital for outdoor pools/spas due to the chlorine dissipation from UV radiation.
It takes only one dip, and then you can remove the test strip from water to wait for its outcomes. You can exclude all of the messy reagent drops and vials, as this AquaChek strip is highly convenient. 50 counts available from 1 to 3 packages.
- It is effective for testing Cyanuric Acid.
- It is a must-have for outdoor pools & spas.
- The testing process is simple to operate.
- It is available for sale in multiple packages.
- The color chart does not match the strip.
Industrial Test Systems 481339 5 in 1 Pool Test Strips
Since many people are afraid that reagent drops are harmful to make direct contact with, using such pool test strips from Industrial Test Systems is much safer for young owners. The container bottle is highly sealed, and it contains up to 50 pool test strips.
No MSDS or complex assembly is required to successfully use the Industrial Test Systems pool test strips for pool water. Its results are incredibly accurate after a few seconds of submersion. More blocks on the color chart means better precision of testing.
- It is far safer to use than liquid reagents.
- 50 counts are stored inside a sealed bottle.
- It only takes several secs for the results.
- The color chart has more color blocks.
- The color results might fade out quickly.
LaMotte 3028 6-Way Pool Test Strips
Besides manufacturing premium pool water test kits, the brand La Motte has its pool test strips. The 6-way pool test strip is capable of testing these: Free Chlorine/Bromine, Total Chlorine, pH, Alkalinity, Total Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid.
This pool test strip from La Motte, in my opinion, is worthy of being highly rated for ease of use, easy to read, and also for its great precision. Its bottle is entirely waterproof with a hinged cap and stay-dry liner to help avoid moisture from affecting the strips.
- It is manufactured by one famous brand.
- It can analyze 6 chemical elements.
- It deserves high ratings for being functional.
- Its waterproof bottle can prevent moisture.
- The individual pads can come off the stick.
Clear Pool Expert 6-Way Pool Test Strips
(Best With App)
The brand Clear Pool Expert offers you their 6-way pool test strips for Chlorine, Total Hardness, pH, Alkalinity, and Stabilizer in pool water. For each of these 50 pool test strips, you only have to dip exactly once and wait for a few seconds for the outcome.
Its supportive water testing app and the online water testing analysis is extremely helpful. You will have access to quick water analysis, recommendations of products, videos to solve issues, and the test result history. All of which are within a mobile app.
- It is a functional, reliable 6-in-1 test strip.
- It requires only a single dip into the water.
- There are a testing app and online analysis.
- It guides you to solve issues & save results.
- The color match is poor for its measuring guide.
HoneForest Pool Water Hardness Test Strips
There are 100 pool test strip counts in the HoneForest package to exam the Total Hardness level of Calcium and Magnesium in pool water. This test strip is useful in ensuring your water softener system is working well to monitor the hardness rate in water.
It is nice that you can easily apply the HoneForest strip for water testing in fish tanks and drinking water, aside from the regular pools and spas. The results come in fast after dipping, and since the color difference is obvious, it is easier to compare it to a chart.
- It checks for Calcium/Magnesium Hardness.
- It supports the water softener to operate.
- It applies to fish tanks & drinking water.
- The color difference is simple to compare.
- It takes a min of 40 seconds for the results.
Finding the Best Pool Test Strips
There are common details that anyone who plans to buy any pool test strips should pay attention to for the best quality. Here are some of my prioritized features. Do not forget to keep these criteria in mind whenever you consider buying pool test strips.
Out of multiple chemical elements in pool water, the essential factors that should be focused on are the 4 of Total and Free Chlorine, pH, Bromine, and Alkalinity. They play a major role in keeping the water as clean and healthy as possible.
Chlorine and Bromine are applied as important sanitizers to help keep the pool and spa water completely free from germs and to build up the process of algae. For your information, the standard ppm rate of Chlorine is 1.0 – 3.0, while Bromine is ideally 5.
Following, Alkalinity and pH measure the acidity amount in all pool and spa water. It can be prevented against scale development or corrosion if you maintain the proper balance of the 2. The perfect pH range is 7.2 to 7.8, and Alkalinity is from 60 to 180 ppm.
Needless to say, the expiration date of your targeted pool test strips should be readable on the container. I am not satisfied with the fact that sometimes the expiration date printing is too vague or got covered by another label.
Being valid determines the precision rate of every pool test strip bundle since they only perform well from one to two years, depending on each brand. After that, the results they produce are nowhere as reliable as before, so you have to discard them.
When pool test strips are expired, you should be aware that their overall quality has been significantly degraded. The whole bunch should be replaced when you find out that it is close to your pool test strips. Get a new pack instead.
As you can see, pool test strips are made out of paper material. Therefore, their unwanted exposure to moisture will result in less accuracy for chemical analysis. This matter involves both the initial packaging and storage.
Pool test strips must be included inside a secured bottle with sealed, stay-dry lines and a hinged cap to keep them far from external moisture and heat. All of their functionality is possible to be affected and cause these pool test strips to be useless.
Later on, the pool test strip bundle requires the owner to properly place them in a cool, air-dry environment to prolong their lifespan. The storage area is also a significant factor in deciding the pool test strip number’s general performance.
How to Read a Pool Test Strip?
The steps to use a pool test strip are simple. Immerse the strip at the minimum depth of 6 inches underwater for only two seconds, remove it with the pads facing up then shake off excess water from the strip. Compare the strip results with the color chart.
There might be a separate bracket for the color chart comparator in this package. A majority of manufacturers choose to have it printed right on the side or back of their strip containers. This is less bulky and more convenient to take it along.
A pool test strip can check for the Chlorine, pH, Bromine, Alkalinity, Cyanuric Acid, and Total Hardness levels based on ppm in pool and spa water. The chemical order is different for each brand, so make sure you stick to their instruction manuals.
You should rely on the results to know what to do to balance the water chemistry. For example, add a certain number of chlorine tablets into a pool skimmer or chlorine dispenser and have them spread evenly in the pool without enough chlorine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some frequently asked questions about pool test strips.
Swim Network Overview
Pool test strips are quicker, more flexible, and affordable to be used in a bundle for a long time. Furthermore, their package always comes with a color chart comparator to support users to compare the water testing results right away.
If you have a saltwater pool, the Aquachek 561161 Salt Titrators Pool Test Strips will do. The highest-rated one has got to be the LaMotte 3028 6-Way Pool Test Strips. I would use the Hach 2745250 Total Hardness Pool Test Strips for water hardness testing.
So what do you think about this article on the best pool test strips? Leave a comment below and let me know. If you believe it is helpful, share it with friends and family via Facebook and Twitter. Thanks for reading.