From protecting your to increasing your comfort while swimming, earplugs are the best way to keep water from your ear. Having water inside your ear can cause the build-up of infection and ultimately damage your pleasure and even your ear. In open water and triathlon, the importance cannot be overemphasized.
Finding the best earplugs for swimming can be quite challenging due to the rising number of brands, quality, and types. With thorough research of the earplugs’ market, I have compiled the top 15 products you should start considering.
This article is also loaded with all the necessary information you need to know about earplugs. A quick-analysis table and a buying guide are also included in the article.
Table of Contents
- Benefits of Using Swimming Earplugs
- What Are the Best Swimming Ear Plugs?
- Comparison of Top 15 Best Earplugs for Swimming 2020
- Reviews of the Best Earplugs for Swimming
- Mack’s AquaBlock Swimming Earplugs
- TYR Silicone Molded Swimming Earplugs
- Mack’s Pillow Soft Silicone Swimming Earplugs
- Putty Buddies Original Swimming Earplugs
- Zoggs Aqua Plugz Hypo-Allergenic Silicone Swimming Earplugs
- Speedo Ergo Swimming Earplugs
- Walgreens Soft Silicone Swimming Earplugs
- Docs Medical Grade Pro Swimming Earplugs
- Alpine Swim Safe Swimming Earplugs
- Start Smart Soft Silicone Moldable Swimming Earplugs
- SureFire EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus filtered Swimming Earplugs
- MAX Corded Disposable Foam Swimming Earplugs
- Every Cares Silicone Swimming Earplugs
- 3M 1100 Foam Swimming Earplugs
- JBL Hydro Seal Aqua Swimming Earplugs
- Choosing the Best Swimming Earplugs
- How to Use Ear Plugs for Swimming?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Swim Network Overview
Benefits of Using Swimming Earplugs
Swimming is a nice sport or a form of relaxation. When entering a pool, it is very likely that you will put your head underwater. Submerging your head for a long time increases the chance of water flooding your ear. Of course, it can be cleaned up but the sizes of the ear canal may make drying difficult.
The major effect of water staying in the ear is discomfort and development of infections and irritation. To alleviate such occurrences, swimming earplugs have been invented.
Swimming earplugs (or swim plugs), in simple terms, are flexible materials that keep water from entering the ear. Swimming earplugs are of so much importance. They are made of different materials, mostly elastic, that help to keep the ear water-tight. While it keeps water away from your ear, you enjoy:
While swimming without earplugs, it is very possible for water to enter your ears. After swimming, your ear may be loaded with water. Draining the water from your ear can be annoying.
You have to keep shaking your head or hitting your ear with a towel. If you have a small ear canal, it can be more challenging.
With a fitting earplug, you can keep water out of your ear. This alone can keep you in high-spirits to keep jumping into that water, enjoying your favorite sport.
Protection Against Infections and Irritation
This is another very crucial reason to use earplugs. When water enters your ear, it carries different foreign bodies along. These foreign bodies may be sand, chemicals, bacteria, and germs. Since you can’t drain your ear completely, your ear will become a breeding site for these things.
Consequently, an infection (such as otitis externa) or irritation may develop which may eventually damage your ear. Your chances of getting an infection increases if you used a public pool or swim in open water.
What Are the Best Swimming Ear Plugs?
Before delving in the full reviews, here are some highlighted best earplugs you may like to see.
- Best Overall: Mack’s AquaBlock Swimming Earplugs
“Durable, reusable, versatile, soft silicone, mild on the ears yet effective.”
- Runner Up: TYR Silicone Molded Swimming Earplugs
“From a reputable brand, lightweight, dirt-resistant, easy to wash.”
- Best Budget: Mack’s Pillow Soft Silicone Swimming Earplugs
“Non-toxic, soft, multi-user, made from medical class silicone.”
- Best Foam Earplugs with Cord: MAX Corded Disposable Foam Swimming Earplugs
“Lightweight, noise-reduction, soil-resistant, comes with a cord for easy movability.”
- Best Moldable Earplugs for Kids: Putty Buddies Original Swimming Earplugs
“Super soft, non-allergenic, colorful, offers nice sealing ability.”
- Best for Light and Heavy Water Sports: Zoggs Aqua Plugz Hypo-Allergenic Silicone Swimming Earplugs
“Versatile, rugged, reusable, user-friendly, comes with a sturdy case for storage.”
Comparison of Top 15 Best Earplugs for Swimming 2020
As I earlier said, I have selected the top 15 best earplugs you should have in 2020. Having foreknowledge of these products will help make decision-making easier and faster. Therefore, I have included a comparison table with contains the basic features of each product.
However, I will advise you to go through the detailed reviews of each product. It contains all the features, the pros, and cons, as well as, the editor’s take. This will help enhance better choice-making. Simply read the next section for more information about each product.
Reviews of the Best Earplugs for Swimming
When the market is quite vast, making a choice may be pretty strenuous. To save you the stress of going through the market, I have picked out 15 top products you should consider. This section contains the full reviews of all the selected, best earplugs for swimming in 2020.
I have researched and compiled detailed information about each product. I have done all the necessary findings for you to aid decision-making. All you need to do is read carefully and make a choice.
Mack’s AquaBlock Swimming Earplugs
(Best Overall – Editor’s Choice)
The Mack’s AquaBlock is a low-budget, pre-molded swimming earplug, a great option for frequent swimmers. The earplug is made from soft silicone that stays firmly and also doesn’t hurt your ear. The product, as the name suggests, efficiently blocks water from entering your ear.
The swimming earplugs are available in 4 colors such that you can enjoy the plugs in your favorite color. To make swimming easy, the plugs are lightweight. The earplugs have a three-layer sealing system which ensures that they say firmly when under water.
The product features a special flex stem and a tipple flange shape which improve its fitting on your ear. The design also makes it easy to remove or apply the plugs.
They are not designed specifically for ear i.e. they can be used interchangeably. After each swimming session, you can wash your swim plugs, stored them and reuse them. To make storage more effective, the manufacturer includes a portable, hard case,
The product provides some bit of versatility. You can use it for swimming, snorkeling, bathing and, even scuba diving. Additionally, it features a one-year warranty to bolster your confidence in the product.
- Molded from silicone and easy to use.
- It can be washed, stored and reused.
- It comes with a carrying case.
- Lightweight and affordable.
- It is available in 4 colors.
- Can be used for swimming, snorkeling, bathing, and scuba diving.
- Comes with a one-year warranty.
- The earplugs can be used interchangeably
- Not suitable for children.
TYR Silicone Molded Swimming Earplugs
TYR is a popular brand in the swim market, established as far as 1985. It has continued to remain in the competition, thanks to its innovative product.
This TYR product is made from 100 percent soft medical class silicone. The silicone material is molded into a unique structure which keeps water from entering the ears. You do not have to spread over your outer ear, just stick it in your ear canal gently.
The product is lightweight and comes in two distinct colors – blue and pink. Apparently, the blue color to appeal to the male swimmers and the pink for females.
The earplugs feature a hollow space or empty space in them which helps to minimize hearing disruption, especially while swimming.
The earplugs are designed for each ear to facilitate top-notch water-sealing. One of the pair shaped to fit the right ear and the other to fit the left ear.
If you are worried about size, then this is for you. It can be used by many ear sizes. As a plus, the product comes with a storage case to help prolong its useful life.
- Comes with a storage case.
- It is available in two colors.
- It doesn’t accumulate sand and dirt.
- It is easy to wash.
- It can accommodate a wide range of ear sizes.
- Molded from silicone.
- Cannot be worn by children as it may strain their ears.
- The earplugs cannot be used interchangeably.
Mack’s Pillow Soft Silicone Swimming Earplugs
Looking for pillow soft swimming earplugs? Check out the Mack’s moldable silicone swimming earplugs. The Mack’s is a popular brand for swimming earplugs.
This is the second product on this list coming from the brand. This time, it is a moldable swimming earplug. It made from medical class silicone which is safe, non-allergenic and non-toxic.
Being a moldable swimming earplug, it can fit into any ear size including those of small children. It can be molded to fit any the contour lines of any type of ear.
It is designed to cover the outer ear securely and not to enter deep into the ear canal. At the same time, it doesn’t trickle or irritate you.
It doesn’t come in many colors but it can be rinsed, dried, stored and reused for a long time. The earplugs can be used for a number of functions. You can use the moldable plugs for swimming, noise reduction, bathing, and sleeping.
- Can be used for a number of functions – swimming, noise reduction, sleeping, and bathing.
- It can be reused several times.
- It is safe, non-allergenic and non-toxic; made from silicone.
- Moldable; it can fit with many ear sizes.
- Soft and comfortable.
- Popular product and medically approved.
- Available in one color.
- It cannot be washed.
- It can accommodate dirt and sand.
Putty Buddies Original Swimming Earplugs
(Best Moldable Earplugs for Kids)
Since swim plugs are important to keep the ear free from water and infection, this product provides great sealing ability.
The swim plug is a nice product from a trusted and popular brand, Putty Buddies. Furthermore, the product comes as an invention of an Ear-Nose-Throat Physician. In simple terms, the product was made with swimmer’s premium safety in mind.
The swim plug is made from silicone, a popular material which is liked by many. Importantly, it is hypoallergenic and should be useable by most swimmers. The earplug is a moldable swim plug, soft in the hair and very tacky.
It comes in three sweet colors which makes it alluring to children and adults. If applied properly, it should stay firmly on the ear without falling off under water. However, it should only be applied or removed under an adult’s supervision.
The product comes in a pack containing three pairs of the earplugs. It can be reused for a couple of times alongside a headband. You need not worry about the size since it is one-size-fits-all.
- It can be reused for a couple of times.
- It provides a soft feel on the ear.
- The swim plug comes in three colors, making it appealing for children.
- Three in a pack; affordable.
- Made from silicone.
- It can be used by all sizes.
- Produced by a reputable brand.
- Cannot be applied by most swimmers.
- The earplug cannot be applied or removed without an adult’s supervision.
- It cannot be used with swim caps.
Zoggs Aqua Plugz Hypo-Allergenic Silicone Swimming Earplugs
(Best for Light and Heavy Water Sports)
Silicone is a popular material for swimming gears and accessories. This product from Zoggs isn’t an exception. The earplug is made from medical class silicone, a hypoallergenic material.
In this case, it is molded and all you need to do is plug them in. Anybody can put it on conveniently, even kids can. The earplugs have a super soft feel in the ear and won’t trickle or irritate you.
It comes in two distinct sizes – small and big. This makes it useable for both young and old. In terms of design, the swimming plug is ergonomically shaped to fit in your ear and keep water out perfectly.
Impressively, the swim plugs can be used over and over again because they are very durable. All you need to do is rinse and dry after each use. To prolong its useful life, it also comes with a sturdy case.
The earplugs in the pair cannot be used interchangeably but they some with marking to indicate where they should sit. “R” indicates right and “L” indicates left. The product can be used for both recreation and competitive swimming.
- It comes in two sizes and two colors.
- It is reusable.
- It comes with a sturdy case for storage.
- The earplugs are well-marked for each ear.
- It doesn’t require much know-how or an adult’s supervision.
- Since it is made of silicone, it is hypoallergenic.
- Soft feel; gentle on the ear.
- The earplugs cannot be used interchangeably on both ears.
- The two available sizes may not fit securely on some ear canals.
See Also: 19 Best Swimming Goggles for Kids
Speedo Ergo Swimming Earplugs
(Best Silicone Earplugs for Adults)
Looking for a great purchase? Try out the Speedo Ergo Swimming Earplugs. Speedo is an established brand in the production of swimming gears and accessories. Hence, you should expect something exceptional from them.
The Ergo is just one of Speedo’s exceptional product. They are made from rubber which is free from PVC. They are soft and, as well, fit comfortably in the ear.
Just like the previous earplugs, this product is 100 percent reusable. A bit of washing and rinsing will help keep your earplugs in shape, prolonging it for a long time.
As a plus, the earplugs come with a portable hard storage case to further enhance its useful life. The earplugs come with a protruding tube which makes them easy to put on or take off.
On the downside, the earplugs are available in only the silver color. It is available for adults only as it is even available in only one size.
- It is affordable.
- The case is reusable and can be used for storage.
- It is easy to remove and insert.
- Ergonomic design that fits well on the ear and constitutes less drag.
- Manufactured by a reputable brand.
- Premium comfort and lightweight.
- The pair is made from rubber; molded.
- Comes in only one size.
- It is available in only one color.
- It is large and will not fit into the ears of your children.
- Doesn’t work well with caps.
Walgreens Soft Silicone Swimming Earplugs
(Best Premium Moldable Earplugs)
The Walgreens swimming earplugs is another nice product on the list. It is a moldable type made from silicone. The earplugs are safe to use and won’t irritate the swimmer’s ear. Importantly, it is a good product to keep your ear from infections and chemical irritation.
The earplugs are made available in a pack. The pack contains 6 pairs (12 earplugs) that can be used interchangeably. Since it is a moldable swim earplug, it can be used by different ear sizes i.e. one size fits all.
Remarkably, the plugs can be removed, stored and used again and again. In terms of aesthetics, it offers nothing unique as it comes in transparent appearance. However, it is super light such that you won’t feel it on your ear while swimming.
When you used the earplugs, you enjoy some bit of noise reduction of up to 22 decibels. In addition, the product also comes with a money-back guarantee.
- The pack contains 6 pairs.
- The manufacturer offers a money-back guarantee on the product.
- The product offers a bit of noise reduction.
- It is used interchangeably with both ears. They are also reusable.
- Made from silicone.
- It can be used by any ear size including children.
- Lightweight on the ear.
- Comes in only just one color.
- Since it is moldable, children require the permission of an adult to apply or remove them.
- They are not washable.
- Might be difficult to spot if it drops in the pool.
Docs Medical Grade Pro Swimming Earplugs
(Great Earplugs Made from Kraton)
When it comes to getting the best swimming earplugs for your ear, it needs to be medically approved too. This is one reason why the Docs Medical Grade Pro Swimming Ear Plugs is listed here.
The product is made from a medically approved material, Kraton. Sounds unfamiliar? Kraton is synthetic material and another polymer like rubber.
It has similar properties to rubber such as elasticity and sealing and traction abilities. However, it is tougher and more resistant to weather and chemicals. It stands medically approved as it is non-toxic, non-allergenic and safe to use.
It is designed to stay sleekly on the ear such that it doesn’t contribute the smallest of drag during swimming. Impressively, they are easy to put in or remove.
The product is available in different sizes to cater for the variation in-ear (and canal) sizes. Children can get along as there are tiny to small sizes to give them the water-sealing they need.
It comes in only one color but it sits securely and great for deep diving. The earplugs are lightweight such that you may forget you are putting them on.
- It is available in different sizes from tiny to extra-large.
- It is recommended by Ear-Nose-Throat physicians.
- Made from non-toxic and non-allergenic material.
- Great for deep diving.
- It is sleek, ergonomically fit and easy to remove.
- It doesn’t constitute drag.
- It comes in only one color (blue).
- The available color, blue, may make it difficult the find the plug should it fall into the pool.
Alpine Swim Safe Swimming Earplugs
(Best Earplugs for Swimming with Tubes)
The discomfort experienced by swimmers after swimming formed the basis for manufacturing the Swim safe earplugs. It is a fantastic product made with love from popular and experience manufacturer, Alpine. Indeed, it is a perfect complement for those that care so much for their ear.
The swimming earplug offers more stylish, although it comes in only one color with blue tips. The product is not made from the rubber or the popular silicone. With this assurance, you should not worry about any allergies or irritation.
Instead, it is made from a thermoplastic material developed by the manufacturer. The material is flexible, soft and comfortable to use. It is capable of taking the shape of the ear just like a moldable earplug will do.
The earplug features the Alpine Acoustic Filters. Thanks to this feature, you can hear the ambient conversation and sounds clear whilst still having your ears properly sealed.
The product is lightweight. It is very economical as it can be reused severally before you finally throw them out. Furthermore, it is one of the best earplugs for swimming with tubes
Additionally, it comes with a mini storage box and a storage case.
- Comes with a mini storage box and a storage case.
- Lightweight and reusable.
- Doesn’t cut out conversation entirely.
- Soft and durable build material; doesn’t contain silicone.
- Well-shaped to fit and stay streamlined with the body.
- No allergenic materials.
- Can be used with ear tubes.
- Cannot be used for deep diving.
- Available in one color.
- Not ideal for children.
Start Smart Soft Silicone Moldable Swimming Earplugs
Are you looking for a smart way to improve your swimming experience? Try out the Start Smart swimming earplugs. The product comes in a pack which contains two pairs of earplugs.
To keep you away from toxins and allergens, the earplugs are made of medical-grade, soft silicone. Due to its texture, the tablets (earplugs) can be easily molded to suit the shape and contour line of your ears. This implies that children and those with extreme ear sizes are able to employ the product for their swimming sessions.
The product is one of the best earplugs for swimming with tubes. The earplugs are a bit economical such that you can use them over and over again. However, since they are waxy in nature, they can attract dirt easily. You may reuse if it was previously used in clean pool water.
In terms of versatility, it really performs excellently as it can be used for bathing, skiing, swimming, kayaking, and many water sports. Surprisingly, the product is quite affordable.
With love from the manufacturer, it comes with a protective case and a money-back guarantee of 90-days.
- It comes with a money-back guarantee of 90 days.
- Comes with a protective case.
- It can be used by a wide range of ear sizes.
- Made from silicone.
- It is reusable.
- Non-toxic and non-allergenic.
- Can be worn with ear tubes.
- It can absorb dirt and look unappealing.
- Although it can be reused, it cannot be washed.
SureFire EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus filtered Swimming Earplugs
(Best with Low Profile Design)
The SureFire EP4 is one of the best swimming earplugs you can find in the market. The unique design and its fancy color say it all. In terms of functionality, it lives even more than expectations.
With its sturdy build material, one can be assured of its durability and quality. The entirety of the swimming plug is made of a soft medical-class polymer which is also hypoallergenic.
In terms of aesthetics, it performs excellently. It is made available in 3 colors which are quite alluring. From its appearance, it poses as a product you should add to your swimming accessories.
The swimming earplugs are held in place by the patented ear-lock retention hooks. Furthermore, the sealing system is made efficient with its three-flanged stems that hold it firmly in the ear canal.
It flaunts an impressive low profile design. With this, you can conveniently put it on your headbands and swim caps. The most striking feature is the noise reduction. Thanks to its noise filter, it can effectively reduce dangerous sound levels above 85 decibels.
It offers more versatility as it can be used in for water sports, and in the military, construction and industrial areas.
- Great ear plug for noise reduction.
- It is made of soft, hypoallergenic, medical-class polymer.
- Comes in a low profile design.
- It is available in 3 colors.
- Can be used by both genders.
- Versatile and reusable.
- A pair cannot be used interchangeably.
- Not available for children.
- They are not easy to clean.
MAX Corded Disposable Foam Swimming Earplugs
(Best Foam Earplugs with Cord)
The Max Corded swimming earplug is a unique product on the list. There is a switch over to non-silicone or non-latex earplugs. This time, you the earplugs are made of polyurethane foam.
The form of protection the product offers makes it worthy of making this list. At the same time, it affordable. It comes in various packaging quantity, depending on the needs of the swimmer. The product is lightweight in the ear.
The earplugs are smooth enough to ensure adequate traction and comfort in the inner ear. The smooth nature of the earplugs enhances it to be soil-resistant.
Each of the earplugs is made into a bell shape so as to conform with the shape of the inner ear. This makes it capable of performing an excellent water-sealing job.
The earplugs are not reusable. However, it offers one of the foam earplugs with the best noise reduction, garnering a rating of NRR 33. A pair of earplugs are joined together with a cord which facilitates easy carrying.
- It comes with a cord.
- Made from foam which is non-toxic and non-allergenic.
- Great noise-reducing ability.
- Fits securely; It is designed to conform to the shape of the inner ear.
- It is easy to remove.
- It cannot be reused.
- It is available only in one color scheme.
- Not ideal for people with small ear canals.
Every Cares Silicone Swimming Earplugs
(Best Pre-Molded Earplugs for Small Ear Canals)
This product is for everyone that cares about their ear and those wishing to enhance their swimming experience. The product is manufactured by Every Cares, previously bearing Hawsan. It doesn’t affect its quality, hence, it can come on this list.
The earplugs are made from soft, medical-grade silicone. You do not have to worry about any toxin or allergies. Furthermore, you can enjoy the swimming earplugs in a number of colors, blue, aqua, orange, and black.
These earplugs come with three flanges that help keep them in place within the ear canal. It is very easy to put on. Just like most pre-molded silicone earplugs on this list, the earplugs can be washed, stored and reused.
It is recommended for swimmers with a small ear canal. Furthermore, this “Every Cares” product is recommended by doctors. It also comes with a storage box.
- Made available in 4 colors.
- Build material is medical grade silicone.
- Comes with storage cases.
- Works well with small ear canals.
- Recommended by doctors.
- It is easy to use, wash, store and reuse.
- Free from toxic materials.
- They can be used with both ears interchangeably.
- May fall off the ears of those with large ear canals.
- Not available in many sizes.
3M 1100 Foam Swimming Earplugs
(Best Low-Budget Foam Earplugs)
Here is another product made from foam. The product is highly affordable. This is an ideal product for lovers of light water sports and recreation.
The 3M 1100 is an uncorded earplug made from a hypoallergenic material, foam. The earplugs are quite soft in the ear and should not cause any form of irritation or trickling during use.
The earplugs are super-light that you won’t feel any form of ear strain. They are designed to fit into the ear, conforming to the contour and shape of the ear canal. They are designed to resist soiling and dirt.
On the downside, they are not reusable. Due to the absence of a cord, it is easy to lose.
- Very affordable.
- Smooth and soft feel in the ear.
- Made from foam; hypoallergenic.
- Can fit almost all size of ears.
- Doesn’t come with cords.
- Easy to lose.
- Comes in only one color.
- Not reusable.
JBL Hydro Seal Aqua Swimming Earplugs
(Best Earplugs for Scuba Diving)
Remember the popular JBL? Here is a fantastic product from them. It’s not a headset this time but swimming earplugs. To those familiar with their products, quality is guaranteed.
The Hydro Seal is a stylish swimming earplug made from high-quality, hypoallergenic build material. The product combines its design with its build material to provide exceptional protection from water intrusion.
The product is recommended by doctors and, of course, lives up to expectation. Despite the structure, they are lightweight with less possibility to strain your ear.
They come in three distinct sizes (small, medium and large) to cater for the ear canal size difference. This implies that almost all ages are capable of using the product. The product is a great option for both long and short swimming sessions and distances, as well as, scuba diving.
It performs well under pressure, thanks to its multi-baffle design. It comes with hooks which enhance its stability on one’s ear. Additionally, it can help reduce noise to a safe level.
- Hypoallergenic build material.
- Comes with hooks to enhance stability.
- Effective in reducing noise.
- Can be used by kids.
- Comes in various sizes.
- Doctor recommended.
- Great for scuba.
- A pair cannot be used interchangeably.
- It comes in only one color.
- Doesn’t come with a protective case.
Choosing the Best Swimming Earplugs
Buying a swimming plug is just for one reason – protecting your ears. Therefore, you need to buy the best earplugs for swimming. You need to purchase a product that seats comfortably on your ear whilst still performing its function.
Quite unfortunately, there are lots of earplugs to pick from. The market is vast and one would definitely have a hard time picking a suitable one. Beginner swimmers may even find it may difficult.
On the contrary, the vast market also allows you to have a wide range of choices to pick from since they vary in size, quality, shape, design and color, and even price. The silicone earplugs are often more expensive while the foam earplugs are cheaper.
Asides your budget, which is an important decider, you need to know some other important things that make up the perfect swimming earplug for you. Also, it is advisable to check out the reviews made by other customers before making a purchase.
Earplugs exist in two forms – molded or moldable. The molded are also known as pre-molded. Obviously, the molded earplugs are those ones already designed to a certain size. They come directly in the shape an earplug.
Most times, they come in sizes, however, some swimmers may not get their sizes. They may be made from foam, rubber or silicone.
On the other hand, the moldable earplugs, which appear in the form of tablets, are mostly made from silicone. They are waxy in nature. They can be molded to any shape all to fit the ear size of the swimmer, looking more like swimming ear covers. This type of earplugs is often called the “one-size-fits-all”.
As seen in the reviews section, earplugs can be made from different materials. The materials directly determine the price of the earplugs. Earplugs are popularly made from foam, rubber, and silicone.
The foam earplugs are cheaper and lighter, however, they do not offer much of water protection. In fact, they are not reusable. In terms of noise protection, they are less effective.
Silicone earplugs, on the other hand, are more expensive and heavier. Impressively, they can be washed, dried, stored and used over and over again. Rubber earplugs perform nice and wonderful jobs but they are allergenic to some individuals.
There is no point buying earplugs that do not fit. Once they do not fit, water will leak into your ears. When that happens, then the earplugs are using it nothing but useless.
Before buying earplugs, always check for sizes of the earplugs. Those interested in moldable earplugs may not worry about sizes since they can be formed into any shape. In a nutshell, look for swimming earplugs that offers comfort and fits properly into your ear.
It is important to know that you may feel uncomfortable if you are a newbie or using it incorrectly. Always check the instructions before using them. You may also seek the help of your trainer before using them.
How often do you need them? Do you need them for light recreation or deep diving? These are some important questions you need to ask yourself when purchasing your earplugs.
If you need earplugs for light water activities, you may start considering the moldable or foam earplugs. This will even help you to save costs.
If you are interested in heavy activities and frequent use, the molded earplugs are just for you. They are rugged, washable and reusable.
Asides the key features, you may also check out for other features before finalizing your purchase. You may look at the design and color.
Some products even come with protective cases to help prolong the useful life of your earplugs. Some products come with cords to make carrying easy. Some products are designed with hooks to help them in place.
How to Use Ear Plugs for Swimming?
The way you wear your earplugs determines the efficiency of your earplugs. There are different types of earplugs and they differ in their ways of application.
- Take off any form of cotton around the wax.
- Try as much as possible to soften it for about a minute.
- Shape the wax into a cone.
- Pull up your ear backward gently to increase the width of your ear canal.
- Gently insert the wax into your ear. The pointed part of the cone should go into the canal. It should not go too far into your ear.
- Spread the remaining part into the other parts of your pinna.
- Roll or press the foam earplugs with your fingers to soften them. Ensure you roll the earplugs such that they are thin lengthwise.
- Pull up your ear backward gently to increase the width of your ear canal.
- Carefully and slowly insert the earplug into your ear canal.
- Do not force it in. Repeat step “b” if it does go in.
- Most of the plug should be in your ear canal. However, a portion that can be grasped easily should remain outside in case you need to take it off.
Other Pre-Molded Earplugs
- Read the instructions first.
- Pull up your ear backward gently to increase the width of your ear canal.
- Gently twist and roll in the plug into your ear canal.
- Most of the plug should be in your ear canal. However, ensure that you maintain a portion you can grasp easily in case you need to take it off.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before handling any of the earplugs. It helps you to keep germs and microbes away from your ear.
- Do not expose the earplugs until you are ready to use them.
- Read the instructions before using them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Did you miss out some important part of the article? I have made a compilation of some frequently asked questions to help clear any thought, as well as, misconceptions.
Swim Network Overview
The ears are part of the five sense organs; hence they are very important. You need to take proper care of your ear. Swimming, though fun-filled, may be unfair to the ear. It is very possible to injure your ear via swimming.
There are a lot of things in that water which can affect your ears. Once you enter a pool, you become exposed to infections, germs, and bacteria. These things accompany the water into your ear canal. Subsequently, a breeding site is created when the water doesn’t leave your ears in time.
It even gets worse when swimming in open water where there are a lot of them in the water. In a nutshell, everything stems from when water enters into your ear. Consequently, swimming earplugs are somehow inevitable.
Now you set to buy a swimming earplug. Unfortunately, you need to look out for the ones that work best for you. For this reason, I have made a compilation of the top 15 best earplugs for swimming. I have also added a buying guide.
Having purchased the best swimming earplugs, knowing how to use earplugs for swimming also matters a lot. It determines the efficiency of your earplugs.
Have you used any of these swimming earplugs? Feel free to share your experience in the comments section. You do not have to read this article alone. Simply share my post on Facebook or Twitter for your friends.