Swim caps are an important part of your swimming gear. Do you really need a one? Yes. It is your best bet to protect your beautiful hair from the effects of chemicals (Chlorine) and even keep it dry.
However, selecting the best one for yourself does not come easy. There are several products to pick from, coming with different colors, features, and material, offering you a variety of options to pick from.
Making the right choice of purchase is paramount! Hence, I have made a comprehensive list of the 21 best swim caps you can consider in 2020. I’ve also included a buying guide, some maintenance tips, and a FAQs section.
What Are the Benefits of Swim Caps?
Is swim cap necessary? Yes! They are elastic materials worn over the head. It is an important swimming gear to have. There are a number of reasons why you should use a cap before stepping into that pool. Here are a few:
Keep Your Hair Dry
This is the most common reason why swimmers wear swim caps. Of course, this is right. Since the hair absorbs much water, it can be pretty frustrating to have water dripping all over. Having to spend several minutes in drying your hair with a towel after swimming can also be stressful.
It is important to know that your swimming cap doesn’t totally keep water from reaching your hair. However, it reduces and it is better than a fully wet hair.
Keep Hair Away from Your Face
Since your hair will be packed into the swim cap. You will have no worries with hair spilling in front of your vision. While this reduces your speed, it also reduces your safety.
Shield Hair from Chemicals/Irritants
Most pools are treated with various chemicals to reduce the growth of microbes as well as keep its users safe. On the other hand, these chemicals can negatively affect your hair.
Chlorine is known to be a solvent and doesn’t react fine with the hair. These caps are the best way to create a barrier between the pool’s water and your hair.
Improves Hydrodynamics in the Water
Hydrodynamics is measured by the amount of drag you experience while swimming. With a swim cap, you can decrease your drag underwater. Most of these caps are made to come in a dome shape which improves your hydrodynamics.
Some swim caps are thick and non-porous. They can serve as an insulator, keeping the head warm in the chilling water.
Caring for the Pool
One way to care for the pool and its users is by using a swimming cap. Imagine having strands of hair coming towards you while swimming. The swim cap helps to prevent hair from littering the water.
What Are the Best Swim Caps to Buy?
Nobody wants to spend their precious time and money on their hair, only for the pool or ocean water to aggressively damage it. Purchasing a swim cap is the way to go if you want to protect your hair. Here are some of the best swim caps you should consider.
- Best Overall: Speedo Silicone Aqua V Swim Cap
"Good grip on the head, water-resistance, great stability and comfort on the head."
- Best Budget: Arena Classic Silicone Swim Cap
"Mold-resistant, latex-free, colorful aesthetics, best for fitness training."
- Best for Recreation: Speedo Solid Latex Swim Cap
"Comfy, tight-fit, tear-resistant, high elasticity, offers premium UV protection."
- Best for Maximum Ear Protection: Friendly Swede Silicone Long Hair Swim Cap
"Wrinkle-free design, covers the ear, hypoallergenic, made from durable materials."
- Best for Kids: Speedo Silicone Junior Swim Cap
"Lightweight, comfy, hypoallergenic, easy to put on or off."
- Best for Long Hair: i-Swim Pro Silicone Swim Cap
"Spacious, environment-friendly, comes with case, nose clips, earplugs and warranty."
- Best to Keep Hair Dry: Michael Phelps MPS X-O Swim Cap
"Dome-shaped design, wrinkle-free, approved by Michael Phelps."
- Best for Competitions: Speedo Fastskin3 Competition Swim Cap
"FINA-approved, hypoallergenic, contributes less drag when swimming."
- Best for Men: Arena Dome 3D Ultra Competition Swim Cap
"Latex-free, Wrinkle-free, offers protection from UV rays."
- Best for Bald Head: Aegend Solid Silicone Swim Cap
"Tear-resistant, hypoallergenic, lightweight, has good grip on the head."
- Best for Women: Beemo Women Retro Latex Swim Caps
"Fashionable, colorful, made with latex for great elasticity."
- Best with Chin Strap: Zone 3 Neoprene Swim Cap
"Hypoallergenic, comes with a strap, neoprene build, great for triathlon."
Comparison of Top 21 Best Swim Caps 2020
Need to make a quick analysis and comparison of the best swim caps available? I have created a simple table to help you achieve that. However, I’ll recommend you read the detailed review of each product before for finalizing on what to buy.
Best Swim Caps Reviews 2020
So, you are ready to buy a swim cap but you do not know where to start from. Indeed, it can be difficult, particularly for first-timers. To help you pick the best one for yourself, I have sorted out the top products you should start considering.
If you are looking for a replacement swimming cap, you are on to the right place. My list contains the top 21 swim caps from different brands, all coming with a number of differences. These products were selected without bias but through thorough research of the market.
Speedo Silicone Solid Swim Cap
The Speedo product is a very light swim cap, yet performs a great function. You may not feel it when on your head as it made to be extra-light and hydrodynamic.
The cap is made from silicone only, meaning it is ideal for those allergic to latex. It offers impressive elasticity to keep it firm and protect your hair from chemicals.
It fits well on small to medium head regardless of the length of the hair. You should not worry about your hair getting wet or messing up the pool. In addition, the product comes with a 6-month warranty which seems good to foster confidence in the product.
- You do not have to worry about latex allergies.
- Offers great elasticity.
- Works well with medium – long hair lengths.
- It is easy to wear or take off.
- Ideal for small to medium heads.
- It will fit well on children.
- Not ideal for conserving body heat in cold water.
- It doesn’t come in different sizes and may not suit heads with a larger circumference.
- Performs woefully after a tiny puncture.
- Doesn’t keep water away from your ears.
TYR Wrinkle Free Silicone
Here is a product with the “TYR” logo on it. Yes, it is a wrinkle-free swim cap from TYR. Made from silicone only to give you the best swimming experience. It has moderate pricing, yet an awesome quality.
Just like those with allergies would desire, it comes with no iota of latex. It is much thicker and very stretchable. With its elasticity, it will accommodate men and women, and old and young. The interior of the cap is made to be non-slip, allowing it to sit conveniently on your head while swimming.
The product is soft and durable. It is also resistant to tear, easy to put on and also available in many colors. It will cover the ears properly if used by those with smaller heads or younger ones.
Depending on the intensity of usage, the colors would never fade out.
- It is durable and soft.
- Since it comes with no wrinkles, there is a decrease in water resistance while swimming.
- The product is made from silicone only, no latex.
- It is more resistant to tear.
- A little bit thicker and should provide a little warmth in cold waters.
- Made for males and female.
- It can prevent water from reaching your ear.
- Won’t accommodate larger heads with long hair.
- Not lightweight.
- No warranty on the product.
Speedo Solid Latex Swim Cap
(Best for Recreation)
This product also showcases the craftsmanship of the great Speedo brand. It is highly elastic and made of latex. Although it flaunts a professional look, the product is one of the cheapest on this list.
It comes with a unique design that allows it to be a great product for both recreational and competitive swimming. It is lightweight and available in 7 colors.
In an already awesome citation, the product comes with a number of impressive features. In terms of safety, it protects you from harmful UV radiations. At the same time, the edges are scalloped to help reduce the possibility of tearing. At the same time, the edges are anti-roll.
Coming in a bag packaging, the product still comes with a warranty of six months.
- Comes with bag packaging.
- It offers UV protection.
- Comes with a 6-month warranty.
- It is resistant to tear.
- It is lightweight, tight-fit and affordable.
- Designed for both male and female.
- It is high elastic.
- Doesn’t fully block water from the ears.
- Smells like chemicals(rubber) within the first periods of use.
- Made from latex, hence it is not ideal for those with latex allergies.
TYR Lycra Swim Cap
The TYR Lycra swim cap is a special product on this list. Instead of the popular silicone and latex, it is made from nylon and Lycra fiber. Remarkably, the nylon is very much recyclable. You are not confined to a particular color as it is available in six colors.
Ideal for recreational swimming, it can be comfortably put on the head or removed. Also, it stays fit on your head. The no-wrinkle design makes the product very appealing. With this, you do not have to worry about drag whilst you protect your hair from chlorine.
The cap is about 7.5 cm wide and 2.5 cm deep, large enough to accommodate bigger head circumferences. The material is even more elastic to accommodate various hair lengths. It is manufactured for both indoor and outdoor use but never for use in cold water.
- It is wide enough to accommodate bigger heads.
- It is nice for recreational swimming.
- Comes with no wrinkles and won’t have any even when in use.
- It is available in six colors.
- It doesn’t contain latex.
- Easy to remove and put on.
- Made from lycra.
- It is less elastic.
- It is not the best option for cold water.
- Not too good for professional swimming.
Friendly Swede Silicone Long Hair Swim Cap
(Best for Maximum Ear Protection)
Looking for a great product to put in that shopping cart of yours? Check out the Friendly Swede. Indeed, it is a friendly product as it is made from silicone, freeing you from any form of allergies.
The silicone material from which it is made is of premium quality. The material also flaunts great durability, softness, and elasticity. A fine product for adults of both genders, it also stays comfortably and cutely on your little ones.
The most remarkable feature is the ear pocket. It prevents water from reaching your ear. The product, thanks to its durability, can be used for fitness, recreational and competitive swimming.
In addition, the manufacturer places a lifetime warranty on the product. Sounds like a show of credibility! Grab yours now!
- It offers ear protection.
- It comes in more than one colors.
- The product can be used for recreational, fitness and competitive swimming.
- It has a wrinkle-free design.
- Latex-free, made from quality silicone.
- Stays cutely and comfortably on children and adults, and female and male swimmers.
- Comes with a warranty.
- The product is fairly expensive.
- It is not lightweight.
See Also: 15 Best Ear Plugs for Swimming
Speedo Silicone Junior Swim Cap
(Best for Kids)
Looking for a good silicone swimming cap for your children or teenagers? Here is a great Speedo product for you. The build material, silicone, is very durable and provides a soft feel on your children.
The swimming cap is constructed specially for small swimmers so you shouldn’t worry about fitting your child’s head.
You can perfectly pack your child’s hair in whilst still keeping your hair free from water. It is quick to remove without snagging their hair. It is gentle on the hair and will pack your child’s long hair entirely.
The product has great elasticity and lightweight. It won’t slack on your child’s head and, at the same time, won’t be too heavy to carry.
- It is great for small heads.
- It is made from silicone and is free of latex.
- It is ideal for children.
- It is durable, fits so well and easy to put on or off.
- Available in four colors.
- Doesn’t cover the ears.
- Available in only one size.
i-Swim Pro Silicone Swim Cap
(Best for Long Hair)
With a good swimming cap, you can beat down water resistance by about 5 percent and increase your swimming speed. How? The i-swim pro is the way to go. It allows you to swim at your top speed thanks to its design which improves your overall hydrodynamic efficiency.
Boasting of premium silicone build material, it exhibits an alluring textured design. The product is available in three colors. Not too many options though, but it is still fair enough.
It is designed for adults and elastic enough to stay on medium to large heads. Fitting snugly on your head, it is firm enough to keep the pool’s water away from your hair. It is one of the best swim caps for long hair.
As a plus, the product comes with a case, nose clips, and earplugs. It also bears a warranty to affirm its quality.
- Available in three colors.
- The i-swim pro comes with a case, nose clips, and earplugs.
- It is ideal for swimmers with long hair.
- It flaunts a textured design.
- Meets with EU environmental standards.
- Comes with warranty.
- The build material is premium, non-toxic silicone only.
- It won’t sit firmly on small heads.
- It won’t prevent water from reaching your ear.
Swim Elite 2-in-1 Premium Silicone Swim Cap
Everything is perfect with this product if you want a swimming cap that offers something special. Right from the design, one will be certain that, indeed, it offers something special. The sleek cap, Swim Elite, is fabricated from top quality silicone and comes with no latex parts.
The most intriguing feature of the swim cap happens to be its usable two sides. With this feature, you can wear either of the sides, allowing you to enjoy two different colors in one cap. Just turn the cap in, and you will be wowed to have another outer color. To cap it all, it comes with three distinct color combination.
The swimming cap is tear-resistant and won’t pull your hair when taking it off. Drag is kept at bay with its wrinkle-free design. It is a great swim gear for adult professional swimming and snorkeling. Also, it comes with a protective bag.
- It offers premium protection from UV rays.
- It comes with a protective bag.
- Fits so well and can be used for snorkeling.
- Can be used on either side.
- Comes in three distinct color combination, color does not peel off.
- It is wrinkle-free, tear-resistant and doesn’t pull the hair
- It is good for professional swimming.
- The ears are left out.
- Not a good option for long hair.
Friendly Swede Silicone Swim Caps
(Best with Huge Versatility)
Not every swim cap can be used by both adults and children. The Friendly Swede is another top-notch cap made out of high-grade silicone. It has a sleek design and is available in nine distinct colors.
The grip of the Swede cap is top-notch as it comes with a textured interior. You do not have to worry about any occurrence of slip off when swimming. The cap stretches so well and will stay securely on your head and even that of your teenager.
The product is not gender-specific as it can be worn by both males and females, even for competitive, recreation and fitness swimming. It is one of the best swim caps for black hair.
The sleek build material, along with its wrinkle-free design, enables you to propel yourself at high speeds. It comes with a storage bag and a lifetime warranty.
- Comes with a storage bag.
- Made from quality silicone.
- The manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty on the product.
- A sleek, wrinkle-free design which implies nice hydrodynamics.
- Suitable for competitive, fitness and recreational swimming.
- Can be worn by men and women.
- Stays securely on the head, thanks to the textured interior.
- Requires proper maintenance.
- Won’t cover your ears.
- Not great for long hair.
Speedo Silicone Long Hair Swim Cap
Jump into the pool with a fantastic silicone swim cap on your head. One great reason to wear a swimming cap is to improve your hydrodynamics. In an exciting fashion, this Speedo Silicone Long Hair swim cap does this excellently.
The product is big and stretches so well, allowing you to pull it off and on easily. This characteristic also allows your head some breather.
It doesn’t just improve this alone. It also impresses your look, making you more professional for competitive swimming; serious for fitness swimming; and excited for recreational swimming.
The product is designed for women, particularly those interested in protecting their long hair. It is available in 6 colors which are alluring to females.
- It is big and highly elastic, making it a great product for long hair.
- Made from durable silicone.
- Doesn’t come with any percentage of rubber.
- Hugs the head firmly whilst reducing drag.
- Can be used for intensive, long-session swimming activities without inflicting pain on your head.
- Won’t snag or pull your hair.
- Available in six colors.
- Will slack on small heads.
- Doesn’t protect the ears.
- Available in only one size.
Arena Classic Silicone Swim Cap
Looking for a low-budget and strong swimming cap for training? Try the Arena Classic. Made out of quality silicone, it can survive daily and prolonged use without tearing or slacking.
The product is rugged, yet lighter, giving you a breather during your training sessions. It offers a soft feel and won’t pull your hair when wearing or removing.
It does not come in plain colors. Instead, it made in 11 designs which places it as one of the most colorful swim caps on this list.
The hydrodynamics offered by the product gives you an edge to become a superstar, even with little training. It offers a soft and smooth feel and won’t cause any allergies.
- It is affordable.
- It is made of silicone and doesn’t contain latex.
- Not very susceptible to getting moldy.
- Can withstand daily use and fitness swimming.
- It has colorful aesthetics.
- Comes in 11 colors.
- The ears are excluded from protection.
Speedo Silicone Aqua V Swim Cap
(Best Overall - Editor's Choice)
Become an aqua man with the Speedo Aqua V Swim cap! Just like silicone has proven itself as a good material for swimming gears, this product is not excluded from the party.
The product is a result of research, analysis and a series of beta testing. It is a unique product and a super one to have on this list. Not minding its high price tag, it is a good buy that you will really enjoy.
The cap comes a combination of a thick head and a thin middle section. This ensures that the cap stays fit and wrinkle-free during use.
With a unique design, it can improve your overall hydrodynamics by 5 percent. This way, you have the advantage of gapping your rivals in competitions. Great elasticity and a good fit in most heads.
In addition, the product is available in four colors and two sizes – adults and kids.
- The product meets the requirements of high school and NCAA.
- Stays firmly on the base of the head.
- Offers much stability and comfort.
- Offers very little water resistance.
- Available in sizes.
- Won’t protect the ears from water.
- Doesn’t come with a protective case.
Michael Phelps MPS X-O Swim Cap
(Best to Keep Hair Dry)
Remember the great Michael Phelps? I’ve got a product with his initials on it. Coincidentally, the superstar also wore this product in his last two outings. With the MP good-luck logo, you can be sure of a long winning margin over your rivals.
The MPS X-O is a professional swim cap made from durable silicone. It showcases a dome-shaped design such that the top section is thicker than the middle section. This is done to eliminate wrinkles and provide the needed elasticity for wearing and water-sealing.
This design is similar to Speedo’s Aqua V. It offers little drag whilst you swim to victory. The product is approved by the International Swimming Federation (FINA). It is a great headgear for bald head too.
It is available in 3 sizes and 3 distinct colors. Overall, it is innovative for effortless and smooth swimming experience.
- Available in 3 sizes and 3 colors.
- Bears the name of the popular swimmer, Michael Phelps.
- Wrinkle-free, dome-shape design.
- It is approved by FINA.
- Made from silicone.
- Offers no ear protection.
Speedo Fastskin3 Competition Swim Cap
(Best for Competitions)
Looking for an ideal swimming cap to possess in your swim bag? You should get the Fastskin3 from Speedo.
The Speedo has been churning out innovative and attractive products to bolster their reputation, among which the fastskin3 leads. From their product, one would think their slogan is comfort, style, and winning.
A supreme swim cap for professional swimming which is even certified by the International Swimming Federation (FINA). With its ability to decrease water resistance by about 6 percent, swimmers can move swiftly in water. It is made from 100 percent silicone which implies that it is latex-free.
The manufacturer, from the product’s outlook, designed the swimming cap bearing in mind face contours and variations in head size.
- Beats down drag by a large percentage.
- It is ideal for professional swimming. Furthermore, it is approved by FINA.
- It is designed with facial contours in mind.
- Made from silicone; latex-free.
- Can be worn by teenagers and adults.
- Comes with its own goggles.
- Available in different sizes and colors.
- Comes with a high price tag.
- Designed for men.
Arena Dome 3D Ultra Competition Swim Cap
(Best for Men)
Here is another swimming cap to use in a professional arena. The Arena 3D swim cap is a top-quality product every professional swimmer will definitely covet on first sight. It has the outlook and strength you need in a professional swimming cap.
The Arena brand is a top brand in the swimming gear niche. Consequently, it doesn’t come short of expectations, giving you the much-needed experience of a winner.
The Arena 3D is a quality silicone product that is latex-free. Whilst protecting you from the UV rays, it also offers good hydrodynamics as a result of its wrinkle-free design. The swimming cap flaunts a varying degree of thickness to further improve its hydrodynamics.
It has a neck-cut design which gives you the convenience you need during breast and butterfly strokes. It is a great product for men and also works best for competitive swimming.
- The product is made from silicone; latex-free.
- Neck-cut, a wrinkle-free and alluring design which implies little drag when swimming.
- Ideal for breast and butterfly strokes.
- Protects you from UV rays.
- Comes from a reputable brand.
- Available in different sizes and different alluring colors.
- Designed for men alone.
- Not great for long hair.
- It is pricey.
Aegend Solid Silicone Swim Cap
(Best for Bald Head)
Looking for an Olympic gold medal? The Aegend Solid Swim cap will be a great product. The product is made 100 percent from silicone, which is non-toxic and non-allergic. It poses as the best swimming cap to keep water out of ears.
If flaunts an ergonomic 3D design which allows it to sit properly on your head. At the same time, it also covers your ears, preventing sand, chlorine, and germs from entering it. it gives adequate protection to your hair and also against UV rays.
It is one of the lightweight swimming caps on this list. As regards the design, the cap is made to be non-slip and thicker at the edges, allowing a good fit and water-sealing efficiency.
It is perfect on men and women regardless of their hair length. The product also comes with a 12-month guarantee.
- The swimming cap is designed to cover the ear.
- Made from non-toxic, hypoallergenic material.
- The edges are made thicker, making it tear-resistant.
- With the thick edges, it offers great fit on the head.
- Can be worn by men and women.
- It can accommodate short and fairly long hair.
- The product is lightweight.
- Available in five colors.
- The thicker edges can be pretty tight for some heads.
TYR La Vengadora Skull Swim Cap
The TYR La Vengadora Skull swim cap is one of the most colorful swimming caps on this list. The captivating aesthetics says it all. You are definitely going to catch the crowd with this cap.
The La Vengadora is a top, premium product for professional or recreational swimming. Made from 100 percent silicone, it frees allergic persons from latex irritation. It is lightweight, extra soft and warm swim cap.
It offers the tightness you desire to keep it glued to your head. It is a nice cap for people with short or long hair.
- Made from silicone.
- The product is hypoallergenic; free from latex.
- Can be used for professional swimming but works best for recreation.
- Offers fascinating aesthetics.
- Fairly expensive.
- Can be used for any water sport.
- Water-resistant, lightweight and comfortable.
- Smooth feel and hydrodynamic.
- It cannot be used for juniors.
- It doesn’t offer ear protection.
- It can be too tight and people with long hair may have trouble keeping it in place.
COPOZZ Adults Swim Cap
Looking for a top-notch product that is budget-friendly? The Copozz adult swim cap should be your first option. It is another product made from silicone. It is one of the best swim caps to keep hair dry.
The swimming cap is soft and its elasticity is on another level. It is one of the best in terms of its stretch-ability, offering the best tuck you can expect. Due to its elasticity, it can accommodate different head circumferences, even those with long or short hair.
It is sleek and well-designed to be streamlined to your head. Ultimately, this reduces drag and also prevents your hair from littering the water.
To cap it all, it can be used by men and women for both indoor and outdoor water sports.
- Can be used for indoor and outdoor swimming.
- Made from silicone; non-toxic, odorless and hypoallergenic.
- Waterproof and highly elastic.
- Offers maximum UV protection.
- Colorful and ergonomic design.
- It is affordable.
- It is not wrinkle-free.
- Does not have ear pockets.
- Not lightweight.
Beemo Women Retro Latex Swim Caps
(Best for Women)
Of course, from its appearance, one will know that this product is for women. Yes, the Beemo women retro is one of the best swim caps for black hair. It showcases that feminine style and it does well to attract women.
The cap is a combo of several colors, however, it is available in 41 different colors. That’s quite much! You will definitely find your taste.
The cap performs pretty well in keeping your hair warm and dry. Simultaneously, it keeps chlorinated water and pathogens away from your hair.
It delivers a great deal of water sealing whilst fitting on most head circumferences.
- Fashionable and colorful.
- The manufacturer offers a money-back guarantee.
- Can fit many head circumferences.
- Can be worn cutely by those with long hair.
- Made from latex – offers great elasticity.
- Chin strap is available.
- One has to careful with latex products due to allergies.
- It is pricey.
- Children are excluded from the colorful experience.
- Comes with a smell peculiar to rubber.
Zone 3 Neoprene Swim Cap
(Best with Chin Strap)
Need a perfect addition to your swimming gear for a triathlon? Check out the Zone 3 Neoprene swim cap. It is one of the stylish swimming headgears that can withstand the rigors of open water swimming without falling apart.
It is made from neoprene, a common material used to manufacture swimsuits. Remarkably, it is one of those swim caps that offers the best insulation in cold waters.
The highlight of the cap is its Velcro strap which can be easily adjusted. With this feature, it is able to hold fast on most head sizes whilst still being water-tight.
- Comes with a user-friendly chin strap.
- Made from hypoallergenic material, neoprene.
- Good for racing, training, and leisure.
- Offers better insulation in cold water.
- Can be used for a long swimming session without feeling any pain.
- It is perfect for triathlon.
- The price is on the high side.
- According to the manufacturer, it should not be used in chlorinated pools.
Beemo Womens Turban Swim Cap
The Beemo women's turban is another gender-specific swimming cap on the list. It has a pleated design which will appeal to its designated end-users, women.
Made from polyester, it is soft, hypoallergenic and not too tight. It is very stretchable, would accommodate large heads and long hair.
It really isn't a swimming cap as it is not water-proof. However, it designed for light recreation, and bathing, and can even be worn while sleeping. It is one of the best swim caps to keep hair dry during these light activities.
It is easy to put on or off. It is available in one size but in many beautiful feminine colors.
- Impeccable design.
- Ideal for bathing and light recreation.
- Made from polyester, a hypoallergenic material.
- Breathable and can be worn all day.
- Soft and elastic.
- Not waterproof.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Swim Cap
Of course, you do not just jump into the market looking for a swim cap. You might be faced with a serious problem – decision-making. These special caps are available in different materials, shapes, color, and design, and sizes, not to confuse you but to give you a lot of options you can pick from.
First-timers may have issues picking the best waterproof swim cap for them. In view of this, I have collated the key things you should consider before buying a swimming cap. Veteran swimmer can also check them out to ascertain if they have been doing it right. Below are the important things to consider when buying your swimming caps.
Every product comes with its own price. The price of a product is dependent on a number of factors. The brand, design, size, and features are one of the key deciders of the selling price of your swim cap.
Ideally, you should go for a swimming cap that suits your budget. Something that won’t hurt the balance of your pocket. However, the features, as well as the other aforementioned factors, may keep a product away from your reach.
Most of these caps cost between 8 – 15 dollars which is still affordable for most people. However, sometimes, it is best to wait for a little. Possibly you may be able to get more funds, get one as a gift or capitalize on discount sales.
Swimming caps are available in different materials. Some are made from a single material while some are made from two or more materials. Popular materials include silicone, Lycra, Neoprene, latex, nylon, fiber, etc.
The first two, silicone and latex, are the most popular materials. These materials have different characteristics which may influence your decision.
The silicone swimming caps are often thicker and softer. They also hold well on the head, including those with scanty hair. They are also nice for bald head. Due to their thickness, they offer a bit of insulation, retaining heat in cold waters.
In terms of hydrodynamics, they are impressive as they do not wrinkle at the top or back. On the downside, they are expensive and not as elastic as their latex counterparts.
If you are looking for products with great elasticity, latex swim caps are the best for you. Budget users would definitely love it as it is also cheaper.
However, they are thinner and not ideal for cold water swimming. Also, they are more susceptible to chemical degradation and, ultimately, wear and tear.
Swimming can be either for fitness, competition or recreation. The same also applies to swim caps. Those designed for competitive swimming help offer the best water protection. They are elastic and tight-fit, giving you the privilege to focus on your track.
Conversely, recreational/fitness swimming may not require you to be underwater always. They also appear soft and less tight on your head, providing much comfort regardless of the length of your swimming session.
Of course, you need to pick a swimming cap which fits your head. The size of your head and the length of your head will determine how big or small your cap should be.
Although swimming caps are elastic, some products are available in different sizes. There are caps for men and there are women’s swim caps too. In a nutshell, ensure you pick a swim cap which fits well and provides comfort.
Color and Design
Although, this is very dependent on you, there are some swimming caps that offer unique color schemes. The Swim Elite 2-in-1 is a unique product that comes with reversible sides, each coming with two distinct colors. Simply turn it over to the choice and you are good to go.
After you have considered the major features, you may also look out for extra features. Some swimming cap come with protective cases which are quite impressive. You may also find nose clips and earplugs in some products.
Some swim caps are even designed to have ear pockets which prevent water from entering your ear. There are other innovative features you should consider but you should never place features over quality.
Maintaining Your Swim Caps
Just like you maintain your swimming goggles, you also need to take proper care of your swim caps. Most pools are sanitized with chemicals containing chlorine or bromine. These chemicals, though beneficial, have negative effects on your precious cap.
Consequently, you need to give it your time. Just a little procedure is needed to extend the useful life of your cap. This, I have made available for you below.
This is the most important step you should never neglect. As I earlier stated, chemicals such as those containing chlorine, which is used in pool water management, can be detrimental. These chemicals can decrease the elasticity of your swim cap, making it tough and brittle.
When you are done swimming, rinse your swimming cap with water from a running tap. You should rinse for at least fifteen seconds to get these chemicals off your cap. This should be done immediately after swimming to prevent further action of the chemicals on your precious cap.
After rinsing, you need to dry. Water is quite good but it may also help breakdown your cap. You need to eliminate water from your swimming cap.
Simply air dry your cap in a cool dry place. Never dry under the sun as it may reduce the elasticity of your swim cap. Additionally, drying also prevents the growth of mold or any odor that may spring out from your cap.
Now your cap is well-rinsed, dry and ready for storage. Some swimmers apply talcum powder to help maintain the moisture level of your cap. Some apply oil to help keep it shining.
You should also put your swim cap in a protective bag or case. If you do not have any, you can procure one. It is one of the best ways to protect your cap from mechanical damage (holes and tears).
You should also know how to put on your cap. I've added a video below to guide you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
You may have some questions! Yes, I have got you covered. Below are some frequently asked questions which you may love to check out. Their answers are well-detailed following thorough research.
Swim Network Overview
Swim caps should be taken as an important part of your swimming gear. If you really care about your hair, it's nice to have one.
I've included, in this list, top products you should have. The best budget swim cap is Arena Classic.
Speedo Aqua V wins as the best swimming cap for professional swimmers.
The Speedo Silicone Junior poses as the best for children. However, I have also attached a buying guide in case you do not see your desired cap. This will help avoid any mistakes from your part.
Of course, you may not help your rivals. You should, instead, help your friends by sharing this article with your Facebook and Twitter. You can also share your experience if you have used any of the listed product. Simply use the comment section.