It is not an exaggeration to say that all swimming pools in the world will not function right without the best pool pumps. Being an optimal assistant, the pump circulates the water and eliminates dirt (leaves, hair, grimes, etc.) from it to make the pool much cleaner.
In some cases, a pool skimmer would go with the pump to capture debris inside the pool. You can expand a pool cover to shelter the pump during bad weather as well. As the heart of a pool system, all other accessories can be plugged with the pump.
This pump can be connected with an existing cleaning system, a solar heater, and a chiller for optimal efficiency in maintaining an ideal residential pool. With that being said, the most beautiful pool pumps and other helpful information should be introduced to get them.
Table of Contents
- What Does a Pool Pump Do?
- Variable Speed Pool Pump vs Single Speed
- List of the Best Pool Pumps to Buy
- Comparison of Top 17 Best Pool Pumps 2020
- Reviews of the Best Pool Pumps
- Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pool Pump
- Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump
- Pentair 011771 WhisperFlo Pool Pump
- Harris H1572730 ProForce Above Ground Pool Pump
- Harris H1572748 ProForce Inground Pool Pump
- Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump
- Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pool Pump
- XtremepowerUS Inground Pool Pump
- Hayward SP3210X15 TriStar Pool Pump
- Hayward W3SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
- Bestway 58496E Pool Pump
- Wayne WAPC250 Automatic Pool Cover Pump
- Pentair 340040 SuperFlo Single Speed Pool Pump
- Mighty Mammoth Above Ground Pool Pump
- Hayward SP15932S PowerFlo Matrix Dual-Speed Pool Pump
- Hayward SP1580X15 PowerFlo LX Pool Pump
- Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump
- Choosing the Best Pool Pump
- How Do Swimming Pool Pumps Work?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Swim Network Overview
What Does a Pool Pump Do?
As a crucial part of a pool cleaning system, the pool pump helps transfer the water into a skimmer to collect debris and other particles. It returns the fresh, purified water to this pool after the filtration to ensure the water is clean and safe to swim in.
Nevertheless, professionals still recommend conducting a frequent water test for the pool to understand its overall health and chemical balance. The combination of a great pool pump and reliable water test kits would be most beneficial for this pool’s well-being.
Variable Speed Pool Pump vs Single Speed
There are two central systems to manufacture a pool pump: a variable speed pump or a single-speed one. It depends on personal requirements because both of them are advantageous; however, I would like to explain and compare a few essential factors.
The single-speed pool pump features one single standard mode for speed, which is easier to work because of the unnecessary need to set up a timer. As its operation is not too complicated, a single-speed pump is often seen at a reasonable price range.
In contrast, the variable speed pool pump provides different high/low levels of speed settings, at the same time delivering an energy-saving operation. Its turnover rate is twice as high as the above. Consequently, the variable speed ones are more expensive.
See Also: 8 Best Pool Booster Pumps
List of the Best Pool Pumps to Buy
Below are some of the best pool pumps I would like to reveal to you first:
- Best Overall: Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pool Pump
"High-performance motor, no clamps needed, quick internal access."
- Best Budget: Wayne WAPC250 Automatic Pool Cover Pump
"Automatic on/off switch, oil-free operation, pull-to-shore power cord."
- Best Variable Speed Pool Pump: Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump
"Extra override capability, low-speed efficiency, quiet TEFC motor."
- Quietest Pool Pump: Pentair 011771 WhisperFlo Pool Pump
"Square-range motors, durable construction, low noise production."
- Best for Above Ground Pools: Harris H1572730 ProForce Above Ground Pool Pump
"Meets CSA & ETL standards, stainless steel motor, minimal noise."
- Best for Inground Pools: Harris H1572748 ProForce Inground Pool Pump
"2-inch union connections, thermoplastic body, oversized basket."
- Best Value for the Money: Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump
"90% energy-saving, integrated diagnostics, TEFC motor design."
- Best for Saltwater: Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pool Pump
"For different pool capacities, bottom flush valve, the simple installation."
- Best for Solar Heating: XtremepowerUS Inground Pool Pump
"Gains ETL certification, high GPH flow rate, polymeric material."
- Best With Chiller: Hayward SP3210X15 TriStar Pool Pump
"Extends cleaning time, for M to L pool sizes, high-head impeller."
- Best Energy Efficient Pool Pump: Hayward W3SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
"Flexible installation, fully programmable, meets industry standards."
- Best for Small Pools: Bestway 58496E Pool Pump
"Top flange clamp design, valve adapter included, use silica sand."
Comparison of Top 17 Best Pool Pumps 2020
Of course, the best pool pumps in this article are much different from each other. This table compares their HP motors along with turnovers and years of warranties because from what I can tell, the factors below are the most important for a pump.
Reviews of the Best Pool Pumps
The best pool pumps are complicated units that require a thorough consideration of all existing advantages and disadvantages. I believe this detailed review section can help potential users to acknowledge how their dream pool pumps work fully.
Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pool Pump
(Best Overall - Editor's Choice)
The SP2610X15 pool pump from Hayward runs on an average 1.5 HP motor, and it works best with in-ground pools. This pump provides a priming function that allows it to lift particles over 10 feet above the water level. Its ceramic seal is entirely heat-resistant.
The loading capacity of its ribbing is extended to handle large debris flow smoothly. Users no longer have to guess whether the dirt basket is full thanks to a translucent strainer cover. The pump can perform well for heavy duties but in beautiful silence.
- The self-priming enables strong suction.
- The seal is made of heat-proof ceramic.
- Uninterrupted debris flows via the ribbing.
- Its convenient see-through strainer cover.
- It functions quietly even for heavy duties.
- The lifespan is far shorter than expected.
See Also: 15 Best Pool Backwash Hoses
Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump
(Best Variable Speed Pool Pump)
Since there are three different speed settings to program the Pentair 342001 pool pump, it becomes far more energy-saving for operating at lower speeds but still useful. It is adaptable to all electrical sources of 115 or 230V with no high-cost wiring needed.
The 24-hour real-time onboard clock on this pump is convenient in allowing easier monitoring for its users. This brand even provides online purchases for the pump up to 3 packs at once. It is an excellent standard choice for both new and pool replacement.
- It included 3 levels of speed adjustment.
- It works with 115 & 230V electric power.
- There is a 24-hour clock for monitoring.
- It provides 3 same packs per purchase.
- It can either be a new/replaced pool unit.
- The priming is inadequate after sitting overnight.
Pentair 011771 WhisperFlo Pool Pump
(Quietest Pool Pump)
Known as the whole quietest unit among this product series made by Pentair, this WhisperFlo pool pump produces sounds so small as if it is a whisper. It works on a motor of less than 1 HP for being a single-speed pump but still achieves a standard performance.
Its large strainer basket is useful in holding oversized pool particles in bulk. It is said that the hydraulic design of the pump enables it to move water effectively. This pump is flexible enough to be connected with various cleaning & filter systems.
See Also: 15 Best Cartridge Pool Filters
- It produces a minimal amount of noise.
- It works pretty well with a ¾ HP motor.
- The design makes water move better.
- It can adapt fine to most pool systems.
- The motor bearings do not last for long.
Harris H1572730 ProForce Above Ground Pool Pump
(Best for Above Ground Pools)
This 1.5 HP pool pump from Harris is coded H1572730, and it is a specialized unit for most standard above ground pools on the market. With advanced engineering for the pump, it produces a low amount of noise in operation and a high level of efficiency.
Its transparent lid with a twist-and-lock system enables users to take a glance at the strainer basket when it is piled up with debris. The anti-corrosion construction and its thermoplastic body are an impressive combination to boost durability for this pump.
- It performs well for above ground pools.
- It enables high efficiency with low noise.
- The dirt basket can be quickly checked.
- Its body structure offers excellent durability.
- It is hard for users to install themselves.
See Also: 15 Best Above Ground Pool Filters
Harris H1572748 ProForce Inground Pool Pump
(Best for Inground Pools)
While the Harris pool pump presented above is designed for above ground pools, the H1572748 unit performs for in-ground pools instead. This pump exceeds safety and electrical tests of both CSA & ETL regulations, which not all other groups can achieve.
All of its seal and components are made from a premium compound of carborundum and graphite to ensure the most extended lifespan possible. There is a handy drain plug for draining out the pool water through this pump. The filter basket is simple to clean up.
- It functions well with all in-ground pools.
- It meets safety standards for electricity.
- Its seal & components can last for long.
- It includes a convenient pool drain plug.
- The debris basket is easy for cleaning.
- It does not operate for all storable pools.
Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump
(Best Value for the Money)
With the highest and most powerful flow rate of 3 HP, its permanent magnet motors can deliver high performance with ultra-efficiency. The integrated timer of this Pentair IntelliFlo pump helps users to program the running time of 8-speed settings.
Due to its variable-speed choices, the pump can save energy up to 90% more than other traditional units. This brand claims that it only produces operating sounds at a maximum of 45 dB. Built-in diagnostics are available to prolong the service life of the pump.
- The 3 HP magnet motors are powerful.
- There is a timer to program its speeds.
- It is capable of saving 90% energy cost.
- Its produced sounds are at a low level.
- It has advanced integrated diagnostics.
- Its pump seal is likely to leak water out.
Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pool Pump
(Best for Saltwater)
Not many pool pumps on the market can handle saltwater systems, but users can reach out for the Intex cartridge filter pump for this specific purpose. Concerning its filter chamber, there is a valve to release trapped air and another at the bottom to flush.
This pump can be used for above ground pools up to 15,200 gallons in capacity. Its automatic timer allows people to preset the pump from Intex for 2 to 12-hour cycles. The cartridge filter should be changed after one to two weeks, and it is simple to do.
- It is adaptable to systems of saltwater.
- The filter chamber contains two valves.
- It can be used for 15,200-gallon pools.
- Its timer offers 2/12-hour programming.
- No defections has been found so far.
XtremepowerUS Inground Pool Pump
(Best for Solar Heating)
The XtremepowerUS pump provides around 88 GPM with silent performance due to its air-flow ventilation. It is a dual-speed pump that requires a 220V power source to work. This pump is also wholly certified for ETL for electrical safety in operation.
Users can connect it with solar heating systems to warm up the pool in cold seasons. This inground pool pump reaches the maximum temperature for pool water at 40°C. It is manufactured with excellent quality to be a new unit or replace the existing one.
- The ventilation helps it run in silence.
- It responds to all of the ETL standards.
- It can be used with a solar pool heater.
- Max water temperature raise of 40°C.
- It is likely to overheat while running.
See Also: 13 Best Solar Pool Covers
Hayward SP3210X15 TriStar Pool Pump
(Best With Chiller)
Thanks to the signature substantial union connections of the brand Hayward, this TriStar pool pump can support big pool sizes at ease. There is additional room for its basket to handle leaves in pools and other large debris, thus, extend the required cleaning time.
The pump contains a balanced impeller with a high head to support all diverse types of installation with pool cleaning systems, in-ground spas, and chillers, etc. Its tri-lock lid enables users to remove the strainer cover quickly without using any tools or clamps.
- Its connections are suitable for large pools.
- The basket deals with big piles of debris.
- It can connect with multiple applications.
- Easy strainer cover removal with its lid.
- The motor capacitor may burn and leak.
Hayward W3SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
(Best Energy Efficient Pool Pump)
There are two versions of different voltage power for this variable-speed pump from Hayward, which are 115V and 230V depends on personal needs. Its digital control box can be rotated to 4 directions or mounted straight to the wall for more comfortable viewing.
The W3SP2303VSP pump saves up to 80% of the energy cost compared to most single-speed units. Its 1.65 HP motor is a TEFC type that is capable of optimizing the reliability in performance. This Hayward pool pump has been Energy Star certified.
- It includes 2 different voltage versions.
- The control box is 4-direction rotatable.
- It can save up to 80% of energy costs.
- Its TEFC motor has high sustainability.
- It has been fully Energy Star certified.
- Its display flashes on/off after seconds.
Bestway 58496E Pool Pump
(Best for Small Pools)
In comparison to other pools on the list, this one from Bestway is a small unit for space-saving above ground pools from at least 300-gallon capacity. Instead of using a traditional filter cartridge, the pump chooses silica sand to reduce the replacement cost.
Its strainer basket can capture large-size dirt like leaves and hair from making the pool unhygienic. The ChemConnect dispenser of this Bestway pump can spread chlorine evenly throughout a pool. It will arrive being pre-installed for convenience.
- It performs well with most small pools.
- The silica sand is more cost-effective.
- It can filter and trap large-size debris.
- Its dispenser spreads out the chlorine.
- It is already installed for convenience.
- The suction power is not so dominant.
Wayne WAPC250 Automatic Pool Cover Pump
By detecting the suitable water level in the pool, this Wayne WAPC250 pool pump is auto turned on and off with an innovative iSwitch technology. In a single hour, it can enable a maximum flow rate of 3,000 gallons to circulate and remove the pool water.
There is an attached pool cover under this pool pump and a 25 feet cord to maintain these two pieces in place together. During cold seasons, users are still able to run it like normal because its anti-freeze feature protects the pump against freezing risks.
- Its technology enables automatic on/off.
- Its max flow rate is 30,000 gallons/hour.
- There is a cord to keep it still on a cover.
- It includes protection in cold conditions.
- The short-cycling issue is not suitable for it.
See Also: 15 Best Pool Cover Pumps
Pentair 340040 SuperFlo Single Speed Pool Pump
(Best Single Speed Pool Pump)
The 56 square flange motor of 340040 SuperFlo pump from Pentair impresses its users for gaining a commercial-grade at such a reasonable price. Although it is a single-speed pump, the 2 HP motor can still effectively circulate pool water without costing much.
Its high-quality flow design on the inside helps develop a much quieter operation that is not full of hydraulic noises. To boost the easier and quicker start-up of this pump, it enables a self-priming mode. The oversized filter can hold a lot of debris.
- The motor is at a commercial standard.
- It moves water effectively for a low cost.
- It can reduce noise from the operation.
- The self-priming is powerfully convenient.
- Its warranty should be extended longer.
Mighty Mammoth Above Ground Pool Pump
(Best With High Flow Rate)
The Mighty Mammoth pump for above ground pools claims to beat its competitors by delivering an excellent performance with a high flow rate of water. This pump will circulate the pool water at a low vibration rate while still ensures the highest level of efficiency.
There are two motor versions of 1.5 & 2 HP, and both of them work with an electrical source of 110 or 220V. Moreover, the pump motor even contains a strong drive shaft. IIts corrosion-resistant housing with rugged construction would protect the pump filter.
- It produces a high flow rate of water.
- The vibration is low but still active.
- There are two choices for the motor.
- Its housing is wholly corrosion-proof.
- It has to be unplugged to shut down.
Hayward SP15932S PowerFlo Matrix Dual-Speed Pool Pump
(Best for Heavy Duty)
Last but not least, the SP15932S PowerFlo pool pump from Hayward with a high profile is undoubtedly an excellent option for heavy duties in above ground pools. The switch is rear-mounted for protection. It can quickly turn from vertical to horizontal discharge.
Its impeller features a wide opening to handle different particles from the pool without getting clogged up. Plus, this pump even includes a strainer basket in the industrial size to collect large debris. An auto thermal overload protector secures this pump motor.
- The high profile is ideal for heavy-duty.
- It can convert from vertical to horizontal.
- The wide-opening impeller is excellent.
- A thermal overload protector is included.
- Its motor is not truly corrosion-resistant.
Hayward SP1580X15 PowerFlo LX Pool Pump
This Hayward SP1580X15 pump seal has been doubled in size with full resistance to heat and drip to enable a longer lifespan for its motor. Whenever the dirt basket needs cleaning, users can see through its clear cover and use the drain plug for fast maintenance.
The reason why it does not require lubrication is that the motor bearings are built to self-lubricate. The thermoplastic housing of this pump is capable of performing at its finest in all weather conditions. Its cord is 6-feet long and works with a 120V source.
- The double-sized seal resists heating.
- Its basket cover is a transparent one.
- The bearings do not need lubrication.
- It has strong & weatherproof housing.
- Its motor shaft needs warping to work.
Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pool Pump
(Best for Sand Filter)
This Intex Krystal sand filter pool pump is widely favored by a lot of users for including a multi-task 6-function valve to operate different missions of water filtration. The largest pool capacity that the pump can carry is about 19,600 gallons and from 16-inch full.
It is quite a relief how it does not require complicated maintenance except for a sand replacement every 5 years for the best working efficiency. There is a 24-hour timer to enable its automatic performance. This pump features a built-in GFCI for safety shut off.
- The valve proceeds 6 different duties.
- It suits with large above ground pools.
- It requires a low rate of maintenance.
- It operates automatically with its timer.
- It includes GFCI for safety shut down.
- The on/off switch might be disengaged.
See Also: 15 Best Pool Sand Filters
Choosing the Best Pool Pump
When going shopping, there are loads of diverse aspects to concern about getting a pool pump. This section is tailor-made from my personal experience to help potential users like you to remember checking these factors in any pool pumps that you are aiming for.
The resistance of corrosion is essential since a pump has to make direct contact with chlorine water, contaminants, and UV exposure almost daily. Choose a pump made from solid material to avoid replacing abrasive components.
Protection against rusting is what its material should also include. The best choice, in this case, should be stainless steel. This material has been broadly used to develop sustainabilities and prolong the lifespans of pool pumps so it will perform well and durable.
Apart from the pump material, a TEFC (totally enclosed fan-cooled) motor is seen as a robust part. It prevents ambient air from penetrating the pump motor; therefore, it can activate the corrosion resistance from the inside out for extended service life.
A pump strainer has different capacities to hold collected dirt inside pools. All kinds of particles will be filtered and stored inside their basket for later emptying. To avoid clogging at first, it should allow a wide and free flow of debris via it.
You should give frequent checks if the filter is stacked up or not as well. There are translucent strainer baskets available in pool pumps that allow users to be a bit more care-free about the debris amount. Still, it is advised to look after this pump strainer regularly.
Sometimes, it can get clogged when we do not notice due to an overload of garbage. This might lead to performance failures for the entire pool pump. Proper watch-outs and maintenance from owners is also a crucial factor to keep the filter at its finest.
A pool pump should deliver a pleasant process that does not create uncomfortable noises. It is acceptable during the daytime; however, I bet that no one will be able to get a good sleep with loud pool pumps working at night.
Some advanced pumps are initially made to be quiet, but what about the others that are not? If it starts making a lot of noise all of a sudden, troubleshoot for a reason. This irritating sound is possible to come from the couplings, the bearings, or its water pipes.
A few tips for noise reduction in a pump include keeping its skimmer basket and impeller clean, raising the pool water level, or replacing for new bearings. You ought to unplug the pump from its electrical power source before fixing any of its internal components.
From my perspective, you should go for pool pumps that contain premium air-flow ventilation for better noise reduction. In some cases, too much-trapped air can cause the pump to operate worse than usual. A pool pump should always work in silence.
How Do Swimming Pool Pumps Work?
A pool pump generally comprises a spinning electric motor and an impeller inside its housing. The impeller moves water from multiple drains through the pool filter, and before it reaches the pump, the water goes through a strainer to collect large debris.
After being freed from dirt, the water runs straight into the filter. Most of these filters enable a sand filtration process. It would be sent via a water distribution head, then pulled down to the sand, and returned to the pool as new and purified chlorine water.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some frequently asked questions about swimming pool pumps.
Swim Network Overview
Pool pumps are great accessories that keep a swimming pool clean from debris and bacteria. By strengthening the pool water balance and clarity, the best pool pumps are doing a massive favor for chemical water tests to become less time-consuming and hassle.
Among this list, the best overall one is Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pool Pump. To connect it with a solar heater, I would pick the XtremepowerUS Inground Pool Pump. The Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, is a powerful variable speed unit.
I expect the buying guide above would be practical for your pump shopping time. At the moment, I am anticipating to hear what you have got to say about this article so kindly comment below.
If the information here is helpful, you might want to share the review with friends and family through Facebook and Twitter. Thank you for reading.