It is a fact that the normal flat base of a house or a garden makes it far easier for cleaning up than other surfaces. These areas are also simple enough for anyone to give them a spotless cleanse. However, how do you plan to eliminate dirt from a swimming pool?
Differ from those common cleaning tools such as broomsticks, advanced mops and lawnmowers, pools should not be cleaned manually as you are unable to exclude all of its filth and stains. Given the circumstances, people have strived to invent smart auto pool cleaners.
These pool cleaners can scrub different sections of a pool like its walls and deck in an uninterrupted process while producing low noise frequency. Most of the machines are built from detachable components for users to clean up and store them with ease afterward.
Along with a fine pool heater for making warm water in cold weather, it is advised to also own the best automatic pool cleaners around for extra help in cleaning. The devices are available in diverse models so your shopping option will not be limited by any details.
Table of Contents
- What Is the Best Automatic Pool Cleaner on the Market?
- Comparison of Top 15 Best Automatic Pool Cleaners 2020
- Reviews of the Best Automatic Pool Cleaners
- Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Pool Cleaner
- Dolphin Premier Robotic Pool Cleaner
- Polaris Vac-Sweep 360 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
- Hayward AquaNaut Suction Pool Vacuum
- Hayward TigerShark Robotic Pool Vacuum
- Hayward Poolvergnuegen Suction Pool Vacuum
- Hayward Aquabug Suction Above Ground Pool Cleaner
- Polaris F9550 In-Ground Pool Cleaner
- Baracuda G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Pool Cleaner
- XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Pool Cleaner
- Intex Automatic Pool Vacuum Cleaner
- Pentair Kreepy Krauly Pool Cleaner
- Pentair GW7900 Automatic Pool Cleaner
- Zodiac MX8 In-Ground Suction-Side Pool Cleaner
- VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner Suction-Side Vacuum
- Choosing the Best Automatic Pool Cleaner
- How Do Automatic Pool Cleaners Work?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Swim Network Overview
What Is the Best Automatic Pool Cleaner on the Market?
Because automatic pool cleaners are sold on the market with countless different types and features, very few of them are recognized as an all-in-one device. Imagine that these machines are manufactured similar to vacuums, they only specialize in certain pool conditions.
From my point of view, it is best not to evaluate automatic pool cleaners based on a single detail. One can be good at sucking large debris while the other might be able to climb all pool steps. Below are identified labels for them to be seen at what they perform best.
- Best Overall: Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Pool Cleaner
"Reaches 50-feet pools, works independently, weekly settings."
- Best Budget: Zodiac MX8 In-Ground Suction-Side Pool Cleaner
"Economical price, variable pack options, dual pool navigation."
- Best Pool Vacuum for Dirt: Hayward AquaNaut Suction Pool Vacuum
"Detects obstacles, 2 or 4-wheel drive, variable-speed pumps."
- Best Robotic Pool Cleaners: Hayward TigerShark Robotic Pool Vacuum
"Quick cleaning mode, onboard pump, polyester cartridge filter."
- Best Suction Pool Cleaner: Baracuda G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Pool Cleaner
"Enables silent operation, easy installation, removes scuffs."
- Best Pressure Pool Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Pool Cleaner
"Hydrodynamic body, 30-inch hose, prevents slipping in pools."
- Best Pool Vacuum for Leaves: Polaris Vac-Sweep 360 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
"Circulates warm water, large capacity filter bag, pro tail sweep."
- Best Pool Vacuum for Above Ground Pool: Intex Automatic Pool Vacuum Cleaner
"Auto reverse mode, durable construction, lightweight material."
- Best for Pebble Tec: Hayward Poolvergnuegen Suction Pool Vacuum
"Self-adjusted vanes, drives on uneven surfaces, 33-inch hose."
- Best for Vinyl Pool Liner: Hayward Aquabug Suction Above Ground Pool Cleaner
"Cute animal design, fast installation, max friction minimized."
- Best Value for the Money: Polaris F9550 In-Ground Pool Cleaner
"Valuable pricing, 70-feet cable, programmable 7-day timer."
- Best for In-Ground Pool: Pentair GW7900 Automatic Pool Cleaner
"Rarely misses a spot, vac port fitting covered, tangle-free hose."
- Best for Small Pools: XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Pool Cleaner
"No electrical plugin needed, up to 30’ pools, seal clip stabilizer."
- Best for Concrete Pools: VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner Suction-Side Vacuum
"Low noise operation, includes 10 hoses, fine rubber disks."
- Best for Fibreglass Pools: Dolphin Premier Robotic Pool Cleaner
"Provides waterline cleanup, weekly control, less energy run."
Comparison of Top 15 Best Automatic Pool Cleaners 2020
As I have tried to make myself clear earlier, it is really difficult to compare automatic pool cleaners with each other via one minor function. The cleaners have their own advantages to finish the work. You should only rely on these basic criteria to know each one better.
Reviews of the Best Automatic Pool Cleaners
This review section is essential in providing you with insights into the top automatic pool cleaners in 2020, besides their compared features above. The presented details will help you comprehend clearly which are their most noticeable pros and cons.
Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Pool Cleaner
(Best Overall - Editor's Choice)
This is an awesome auto cleaner for in-ground swimming pools which their depths are up to 50 feet. The Dolphin pool cleaner does not require help from any other accessories like pumps and hoses as it works alone without human impact.
You May Like: 13 Best Pool Heat Pumps
It contains effective dual brushes with 2X scrubbing power to wipe tough dirt away from the pool surface. The cleaner climbs the pool walls at ease to ensure all areas are cleaned up. It often takes two hours to complete a normal process.
The swivel cable of this machine is entirely tangle-free to track it underwater. There are 3 different settings to help schedule the automatic pool cleaner from Dolphin to do weekly cleaning. It also includes smart navigation to avoid bumping into walls.
- It can approach 50-feet pools.
- It performs cleaning on its own.
- Its brushing power is strong.
- It has a tangle-free swivel cable.
- It can be weekly scheduled.
- It navigates the cleaning path.
- It swivel power connector leaks.
See Also: 15 Best Pool Skimmers
Dolphin Premier Robotic Pool Cleaner
(Best for Fibreglass Pools)
This cleaner includes an amazing media number of 3, including an oversized bag for leaf intake and another disposable one as well. Its swivel cable cannot tangle up easily. The strong dual brushes attack and get rid of stubborn dirt in the pool.
There are 24V twin DC motors that help this machine consume 90% less energy than other old cleaning models. It cleans up the pool tile and waterline with fine precision. The cleaner increases convenience through its weekly timer settings.
The cleaner from Dolphin ensures a wide surface scanning and debris removal via its smart algorithms. It provides excellent cleaning in delicate fiberglass pool floors. It is backed up with a 3-year product warranty and has an optional remote control.
- It contains different media.
- Its brushes are strong.
- It has dual DC motors.
- It provides weekly settings.
- It is good for fiberglass pools.
- It goes with a warranty.
- It cannot be used in hot tubs.
Polaris Vac-Sweep 360 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
(Best Pool Vacuum for Leaves)
It inhales large debris like leaves into the filter bag with considerable capacity. The cleaner filters dirt before reaching its pump basket to prolong the filtration system of a pool. It scrubs the walls and surface after vacuuming and sweeping dirt off.
The back-up valve is responsible to free this Polaris cleaner if it gets stuck and can continue cleaning. Its 3-wheel design glides on a pool floor without hassle. There is a restrictor disc to slow down the automatic machine when moving too fast.
A special feature of its booster pump, which is sold separately, is to spread warm clean water throughout the whole pool so cold areas are reduced before swimming. It is often connected with a pressure line to perform better in cleaning pools.
- It captures large pool debris.
- It prolongs the pool filtration.
- Its valve prevents hung-ups.
- The disc slows it down.
- It can circulate heated water.
- It can go with a pressure line.
- Its 31-feet hose tends to leak.
See Also: 15 Best Pool Shocks
Hayward AquaNaut Suction Pool Vacuum
(Best Pool Vacuum for Dirt)
The cleaner creates a passage for large dirt to enter, making it a powerful debris collector without clogging. Its robust tire treads can automatically move around pool drains. This Hayward cleaning machine is suitable for variable-speed pumps.
Its 4-wheel drive would do better in large swimming pools with deeps ends. The steering sequences are pre-programmed for the entire pool to be covered. The pool cleaner still maintains suction on uneven surfaces with its adjustable roller skirts.
The suction performance is strengthened with 3 interchangeable throats in this pool cleaner. Its 33-inch hose is long enough to reach all corners. The automatic pool cleaner is compatible with diverse pool surfaces like concrete, tile, vinyl and pebble, etc.
- It makes way for large dirt.
- It detects and avoids obstacles.
- It ensures full pool coverage.
- It cleans uneven surfaces.
- Its suction performance is fine.
- It adapts with multiple pools.
- Its rear wheel breaks down.
Hayward TigerShark Robotic Pool Vacuum
(Best Robotic Pool Cleaners)
The Hayward machine comes with a wireless remote control to manage it from a distance to drive into tight corners. Its amazing cord length of 55 inches is effective in reaching underwater. No need for hoses, pumps or hookups as it is robotic.
It is independent of the filtration system in the swimming pool, so the water for filter backwash cycles is reduced to the maximum level. The automatic pool cleaner from Hayward contains a 24V built-in motor for less and energy consumption.
You can remove the cartridge filter for cleaning and maintenance without effort. All of its following accessories and the cleaner itself make things simple to handle and store. There are up to 3 years of product warranty available from the brand.
- It has a wireless remote control.
- It excludes hoses and pumps.
- It reduces backwashing water.
- Its 24V motor is built inside.
- The simple cartridge removal.
- It goes with a 3-year warranty.
- Its cord is not tangle-free.
Hayward Poolvergnuegen Suction Pool Vacuum
(Best for Pebble Tec)
The machine from Hayward is capable of vacuuming a serious amount of large dirt like pebbles to pass through without hesitation. Main drains should not be a huge deal for this cleaner to maneuver. It can cover all of the shallow pool ends as well.
Its left wheel is programmed to reverse periodically for moving in different directions around the pool. Patented skirts are adjustable and available to maintain the suction power even when this cleaner runs into pool obstacles. Its 4 wheels drag more hose.
The turbine vanes of the Hayward automatic pool cleaner helps it continue driving at a low level of both suction and pressure. It is applicable to most pool surfaces such as fiberglass, tile and vinyl. Its tires should be changed when the tread wear markers suggest.
- It makes way for large dirt.
- It can approach shallow ends.
- The left wheel is able to reverse.
- Its skirts remain strong suction.
- It has effective turbine vanes.
- It adapts with multiple pools.
- The tires tend to get jammed.
Hayward Aquabug Suction Above Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best for Vinyl Pool Liner)
It is interesting to own an automatic cleaner designed in the shape of a ladybug. Believe it or not, the cleaner can be installed in less than 10 minutes without the need for any extra tools. This machine provides cleaning suction in vinyl pools.
The dirt container bag never requires cleaning since it takes advantage of the pool’s filtration system and excludes a redundant booster pump. This Hayward cleaner is able to circulate pool water as it moves and has the water heated in cold weather.
It has a turbine system that balances the water flow in a silent operation around a swimming pool. Its steering pattern performs in minimal timing due to the contoured machine head. When this pool cleaner hits walls, it would turn away gently and keep brushing.
- It enables quick installation.
- It works fine with vinyl pools.
- No need to empty the bag.
- It auto circulates the water.
- It carries a process in quiet.
- It has low time consumption.
- It might cut into the pool liner.
See Also: 8 Best Above Ground Pool Liners
Polaris F9550 In-Ground Pool Cleaner
(Best Value for the Money)
As one of the most premium robotic pool cleaners on the market, you will find it hard to resist this machine from Polaris even with its high pricing. It is definitely worth the value thanks to a 4-wheel construction that dominant every pool terrains.
The cleaner comes with a sensor remote for management from a distance. Its pool removal process is easier since the cleaner waits at a certain location and evacuates water before lifting. Its canister can be cleaned from dirt with quick spraying.
You do not need to guess when the dirt container is full due to its automatic indicator. This Polaris pool cleaner also scrubs the tile line with a bladed brush in its waterline cycle. It is programmable for 7 days straight so no more cleaning modes.
- It conquers all pool surfaces.
- It goes with a remote control.
- It can auto release water.
- Its canister warns when full.
- It has a brush for tile lines.
- It has a 7-day program timer.
- It cannot suck small debris.
Baracuda G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Pool Cleaner
(Best Suction Pool Cleaner)
Its cleaning disc includes a total of 36 fins to enable better adhesion to the surface and does not get hung up on different pool parts. Customers who require a silent cleaning operation would feel glad to have the Barracuda suction pool cleaner.
This machine is good at picking up debris in small to medium sizing. The hose is incredibly useful in scuffs resistance to eliminating them from a swimming pool. Its quick-release cassette enables easy access to the diaphragm for maintenance.
With low-speed pumps, the cleaner from Barracuda can still normalize water flow through its effective valve. It does not get stuck easily by pool obstacles. The wheel deflector drives this auto pool cleaner smoothly into tight corners in in-ground pools.
- Its 36-fin disc boosts adhesion.
- Its performance is quiet.
- It is highly resistant to scuffs.
- Its cassette is released quickly.
- The valve controls water flow.
- Its deflector goes into corners.
- Not ideal for spherical pool walls.
XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Pool Cleaner
(Best for Small Pools)
Its silicone flat seal works well to clean up pools with most size and construction, from its top to bottom. Since there are no extra wheels or gears, the cleaner will never jam or break. It navigates the water around to save more cleaning time.
It is guided to treat this machine from XtremepowerUS as a moving drain for being attached to the filtration system of a pool. The cleaner moves in the pool from 8 to 12 feet per minute. Yellow seal clips are used to balance this cleaner while cleaning.
This machine is definitely more durable than those made out of thin PVC. It is able to glide smoothly on pool walls to give the pool a thorough removal of small debris size. You can change the water flow direction by twisting its helpful eyeball diverter.
- There are no wheels or gears.
- It saves time by navigation.
- It performs as a moving drain.
- It includes stabilizer seal clips.
- It is considered quite durable.
- It removes small-size debris.
- It does not work with the stairs.
Intex Automatic Pool Vacuum Cleaner
(Best Pool Vacuum for Above Ground Pool)
The Intex machine is one of the rare automatic pool cleaners that are suitable for above-ground pools. Therefore, it needs to have a filter pump with a large flow rate to clean. This suction cleaner has an auto-reverse function for full pool coverage.
Its rugged construction is still more lightweight than lots of other models. The cleaner from Intex can be plugged into the existing pool’s inlet connector with its provided 24-feet hose. You are able to purchase replacement parts via the online seller.
- It is not a common cleaner type.
- It can create a reverse direction.
- It has sustainable construction.
- It comes with a 24-feet hose.
- It is attached to an inlet connector.
- The replacement parts are sold.
- It only fits Intex swimming pools.
Pentair Kreepy Krauly Pool Cleaner
(Best Pressure Pool Cleaner)
There are 4 wheels in total on this Pentair pressure cleaner, including front wheels to drive it and treaded tires for great tractioning on pool surfaces. Its hydrodynamic body is stable on grounds. Twigs and pebbles can be vacuumed by this pool cleaner.
Its attached tail is able to sweep leftover large debris. The machine does not trip when moving so the cleaning process will remain uninterrupted. It can intake a lot of pool dirt into a bag with high capacity. This cleaner also has an elegant color design.
- It enables traction on surfaces.
- Its body provides fine stability.
- It can vacuum large debris.
- It has a tail sweep at the back.
- It prevents tipping from moving.
- The dirtbag has great capacity.
- Its suction is not strong enough.
Pentair GW7900 Automatic Pool Cleaner
(Best for In-Ground Pool)
It is engineered with an exclusive steering system, which prevents the Pentair auto cleaner from hanging up around pool obstacles. It decreases the chance of small dirt spots being missed out. This cleaning machine does not produce much loud noise.
As a perfect cleaner for in-ground pools, it inhales even insects or dog hair without jamming the operation. Its vacuum port fitting comes along with a firm cover that opens with tools for maximum safety. The long hose of this cleaner is tangle-free.
- Its steering system is great.
- It barely misses a dirt spot.
- It operates in total silence.
- It works with in-ground pools.
- It sucks insects and hair.
- The vac port has a cover.
- It is unable to clean the walls.
Zodiac MX8 In-Ground Suction-Side Pool Cleaner
This cleaner offers from 1 to 5 packs in one purchase at reasonable pricing. It comes with a 39-inch twist-lock hose to quickly connect with this pool cleaner. It is capable of consuming a large amount of debris such as sand or leaves in the pool.
Its tires fear no pool walls or tight corners for the incredible maneuverability. There is a regulator valve that controls high water flow through the machine to minimize internal damages. It delivers a wide cleaning path and faster movement to save time.
The automatic pool suction from Barracuda provides an energy-efficient performance with low flow pumps. It is considered perfect for all in-ground swimming pools. The heavy construction of this cleaning machine equals enhanced robustness.
- It is sold in different quantities.
- It has a long twist-lock hose.
- It maneuvers walls and corners.
- The valve limits water flow.
- It saves energy while cleaning.
- Its design improves robustness.
- The hose allows excess air-flow.
VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner Suction-Side Vacuum
(Best for Concrete Pools)
The VINGLI cleaner is a great choice to suck and clean sand, hair and debris in the pool in replacement of tiring manual cleaning. 10 sustainable hoses are all highly resistant to scuffs and prevent air leaks, extending itself for bigger swimming pools.
It creates the lowest noise rate in operation. This is definitely more economical than hiring a cleaning person. The machine capable of sweeping an entire concrete pool with wide rubber disks of high quality. VINGLI ensures it to be a worry-free purchase.
- It vacuums sand and hair.
- The hoses are scuff-resistant.
- It moves in total silence.
- It is nice for concrete pools.
- It has a worry-free guarantee.
- Not for above-ground pools.
Choosing the Best Automatic Pool Cleaner
If you find it difficult to understand their highlight features let me help with some useful tips in the significant buying guide below. Though their specifications are not the same, you can follow these common guidelines to buy an optimal automatic pool cleaner.
Avoiding Pool Obstacles
An automatic cleaning process should be involved with the least human intervention since we purchase the cleaner to detect and dodge pool features by itself while we have a rest. Robotic ones should be able to do this.
The machine needs to reverse its direction or steer around main drains, ladders, coves, lighting and the filtration system to continue vacuuming pool floors. We cannot sit around to look after a cleaner and save it from getting cornered all the time.
Automatic pool cleaners should be able to maneuver around these obstacles under the swimming pool, instead of stopping when encountering them. You can check for this feature in the user manual or online comments of its previous customers.
Climbing Walls and Steps
The excellent pool cleaner needs to climb the walls and steps to finish cleaning the entire pool. It should provide high traction and stability on surfaces that are not entirely even, therefore, avoid sliding off of them and crashing.
Spherical walls are a bit harder to climb than vertical flat ones due to their texture, but there are still a great number of automatic pool cleaners with tire treads that climb on them at ease. The more rugged its wheels are, the more it can hold onto such areas.
Most of the time, we cannot see and approach debris under pool steps and tight corners in manual cleaning, so it is much better to have a powerful dirt suction that eliminates them all in a blink. This function should also be covered in a user manual.
Vacuuming All Debris Size
There are a bunch of automatic pool cleaners, which enable the intake of tiny rocks, leaves, twigs and pebbles but leaves out smaller particles such as dust, hair and sand. This is certainly not considered as optimal dirt consumption.
Some cleaning machines would blow up or sweep them around the pool just for that dirt layer to resettle in the end. It requires suitable suction and filtration from the cleaner to be capable of collecting small debris from contaminating a swimming pool.
It is advised to consult experienced past users of the targeted pool cleaner to see whether it consumes all debris size. You can never tell from all of the advertisements and promotions from sellers, claiming their cleaners to never miss a single dirt spot.
How Do Automatic Pool Cleaners Work?
It depends on their varieties and which kind of pools can benefit from them but in general, automatic pool cleaners run with their plugin into electric household power, a 24V built-in motor or no electricity needed at all. This helps prevent electrocution underwater.
The name has already implied their main purpose of function - cleaning pool floors, walls, stairs and sometimes, the waterline. The machines work to vacuum the debris into them and activate their brushes to scrub those surfaces for effective cleansing.
Subsequently, the automatic cleaners circulate filtered and heated water back into the pool. Collected dirt stays inside their bags and awaits for emptying. Advanced cleaning models have a light indicator to take out the trash from their full canisters.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some frequently asked questions about automatic pool cleaners.
Swim Network Overview
An automatic pool cleaner is an innovative invention for people to have swimming pools sparkling clean in a quick hassle-free method. To be honest, it is not that much to compare with a fortune but still needs careful consideration prior to an investment.
Personally, I approve of the best overall automatic pool cleaner to be the Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Pool Cleaner. In case you need to have an effective leaf consumption around the pool, go for the Polaris Vac-Sweep 360 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner.
In terms of concrete pools, I highly recommend the VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner Suction-Side Vacuum for thorough cleaning with this special surface. Whereas, the best pressure pool cleaner is undeniably the Pentair Kreepy Krauly Pool Cleaner.
It is perfectly understandable if none of the reviewed automatic pool cleaners is attractive enough to earn a spot in your upcoming shopping list. You can always take advantage of my tailor-made buying guide and helpful tips to purchase another one.
So, what do you think about this article of the best automatic pool cleaners on the market of 2020? It is totally free to drop some personal comments below. Moreover, if my presented information is beneficial, do not feel shy to give it a shoutout to all of your friends and family by sharing the article via Facebook and Twitter.