When it comes to extending the pool season for as long as possible, I would definitely consider installing a pool heater system to get far more use and enjoyment from your pool.
Pool heat pumps cost more than gas pool heaters and electric pool heaters to buy initially. With proper installation and maintenance, the best pool heat pumps yield much lower annual operating costs and last longer than other pool heaters.
Pool heat pumps work every time, without unnecessary dependency on the weather, such as how solar pool heaters do. When your pool pump is on, your pool is guaranteed to reach your desired heating temperature.
I understand that not everyone is an expert in pool heat pumps, so I decided to do the hard work for you by researching and reviewing 13 best pool heat pumps on the market. Also, my extensive buying guide will help you to get your hands on the best product.
Table of Contents
- Why Do You Need a Pool Heat Pump?
- What Is the Best Pool Heat Pump?
- Comparison of Top 13 Best Pool Heat Pumps 2021
- Reviews of the Best Pool Heat Pumps
- FibroPool FH055 Inground Swimming Pool Heat Pump
- Puri Tech Quiet 127k BTU Pool Heat Pump
- Zodiac EE2500T EE-Ti Digital Titanium Pool Heat Pump
- AquaPro VIGOH77 Pool Heat Pump
- Hayward TRANE Pool Heat Pump
- FibroPool FH120 Above Ground Pool Heat Pump
- Pentair 460932 UltraTemp Heat Pump
- Hayward HP50HA Fan Pool Heat Pump
- AquaCal TropiCal T115 Pool Heat Pump
- Hayward W3HP HeatPro BTU Pool Heat Pump
- FibroPool FH220 Swimming Pool Heat Pump
- AquaCal Tropical T90 Pool Heat Pump
- Raypak 013306 Titanium Digital Pool Heat Pump
- Choosing the Best Pool Heat Pump – Buying Guide
- How Does a Heat Pump Work for a Pool?
- The Difference Between a Pool Heater and Heat Pump
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Swim Network Overview
Why Do You Need a Pool Heat Pump?
What’s the point of having a swimming pool when you can’t enjoy it all year round? Since pool water temperatures can quickly drop after a few days of cloudy weather. So installing a pool pump is an ideal option to keep using your pool all year round.
They produce the best in class efficiency to create and generate its natural heating system. They can fully heat a pool in 1-3 days. And if you cover your pool whenever possible with solar pool covers, it will help preserve the heat even longer, reducing your heating costs.
See Also: Top 15 Best Pool Covers
Another reason that makes pool heater pumps an excellent investment is that the life cycle is unbelievable. Most of them can last up to 20 years with general maintenance and check-ups, so it can keep your pool heated for up to 30-40 years.
See Also: 15 Best Variable Speed Pool Pumps
What Is the Best Pool Heat Pump?
When it comes to choosing the right pool heater, I know it can be not very clear in the wide global market of pool heat pumps. I am here to help guide you to choose the best pool heat pumps that will give you and your family many years of happy pool experiences.
- Best Overall: FibroPool FH055 Inground Swimming Pool Heat Pump
“Clean electricity, weather-proof case, easy set digital display.”
- Best Budget: AquaCal Tropical T90 Pool Heat Pump
“Eco-friendly refrigerant, microprocessor-controlled automatic defrost.”
- Quietest Pool Heat Pump: Puri Tech Quiet 127k BTU Pool Heat Pump
“QZ Quiet Technology saves up to 2,000 dollars a year.”
- Best Electric Pool Heat Pump: Zodiac EE2500T EE-Ti Digital Titanium Pool Heat Pump
“Built-in by-pass flow assembly, programmable features for pool and spa.”
- Best for Above Ground Pools: AquaPro VIGOH77 Pool Heat Pump
“Heat an above-ground pool to 24,000 gallons, easy installation.”
- Best for Inground Pools: Hayward TRANE Pool Heat Pump
“Self-diagnostic codes monitor, easy installation, convenient drop-in replacement.”
- Best for the Money: FibroPool FH120 Above Ground Pool Heat Pump
“Most energy-efficient, easy-set digital panel, enamel-coated steel chassis.”
- Best for Cold Climates: Pentair 460932 UltraTemp Heat Pump
“Automatic defrost feature, 60-Hertz frequency, 50-ampere breaker size.”
- Most Efficient: Hayward HP50HA Fan Pool Heat Pump
“Built-in thermostat, equipped with a water pressure safety switch.”
- Best Warranty: AquaCal TropiCal T115 Pool Heat Pump
“AquaCal’s extraordinary 7-year warranty, hybrid functionality.”
- Best Rated: Hayward W3HP HeatPro BTU Pool Heat Pump
“Heavy-duty, super-quiet scroll compressors, titanium heat exchanger.”
- Best for Small Pools: FibroPool FH220 Swimming Pool Heat Pump
“Lightweight, compact for small pools and spas with 20,000 BTU, 4.85 COP.”
Comparison of Top 13 Best Pool Heat Pumps 2021
There are plenty of differences between the mentioned pool heat pumps. However, this comparison table will give you the most precise picture of each pool heat pump’s unique features and specifications to find the best pool heat pumps among the market.
Reviews of the Best Pool Heat Pumps
Apart from all of the fundamental features of a pool heat pump, I am sure that you are beyond curious about their other amazing advantages. You will get to know what the best pool heat pumps can provide users in this detailed review.
FibroPool FH055 Inground Swimming Pool Heat Pump
(Best Overall – Editor’s Choice)
The FibroPool FH055 Pool Heat Pump doesn’t require much to install. The only things you need to get it working are two 1.5-inch water line couplings, a 12-gauge, and 220V circuit for power. It’s an excellent choice for smaller in-ground and above ground pools.
It is definitely an unbeatable pool heat pump with a COP of 5.92/6.0. The control panel with push buttons coupled with an up-to-date LED display makes it so easy to work with. It can work down to an ambient temperature of just 40F. It only costs 25c/hour to operate.
- High COP of 5.92/6.0
- Works to 40F outdoor temperature
- Ideal for DIY installations
- Zero overhead clearance
- To prevent dangerous slipping situations, the water outlet washer needs to be replaced
Puri Tech Quiet 127k BTU Pool Heat Pump
(Quietest Pool Heat Pump)
As the name says it all – Puri Tech Quiet heat pumps are among the quietest pool water heaters with heat pumps inside. It is equipped with a noise level of 55 dB, which is softer than the sound of normal conversation (60 dB).
Thanks to the Savings Optimizer feature, it can efficiently heat a pool of up to 35,000 gallons of water without much energy. Also, its smooth and straightforward control panel allows you to program it with ease without wasting any of your precious time.
- QZ Quiet Technology for quiet operation
- Savings Optimizer saves up to $2,000 a year
- Durable weatherproof cabinet
- Simple and easy to use lockout control panels
- No defections recorded so far
Zodiac EE2500T EE-Ti Digital Titanium Pool Heat Pump
(Best Electric Pool Heat Pump)
This electric Titanium Pool Heat Pump by Zodiac makes the heating process efficient, ecological, and economically effective by absorbing free heat from the air and transferring it to the water. It is also backed by a lifetime warranty against corrosion.
The titanium heat exchanger provides maximum heat transfer resulting in increased output, high efficiency, and superior hydraulic flow. Moreover, you can monitor heat pump functions from wherever it is most convenient with an exclusive control system.
- Programmable features for pool and spa, and self-diagnostics
- Hot gas defrost chiller feature heats your pool when the temperature is as low as 38F
- Patented Auto-Heat feature maintains pool temperature 24 hours per day
- Titanium heat exchanger for high efficiency and superior hydraulic flow
- No defections recorded so far
AquaPro VIGOH77 Pool Heat Pump
(Best for Above Ground Pools)
When it comes to the best heat pump for above ground pools, it is impossible not to mention AquaPro VIGOH77 Pool Heat Pump. This pool heater provides fast heat for an aboveground pool of up to 24,000 gallons while producing savings of up to 85%.
It is designed for trouble-free and long-lasting performance with exclusive commercial-grade titanium heat exchanger and digital temperature controls that maintain the desired comfort level of water temperature while ensuring energy savings.
- Exclusive titanium heat exchanger, quiet operation, and easy installation
- Perfect for large above ground pools
- Generates fast heat up to 75,000 BTU’s of heat in pools up to 24,000 gallons
- Trouble-free and long-lasting performance
- The customer service team might not be so responsive
Hayward TRANE Pool Heat Pump
(Best for Inground Pools)
This Hayward TRANE Pool Heat Pump works great for inground pools when you have mild temperatures. No loud vibration while operating, ensuring a quiet environment for you to relax. Pool temperature display with easy-to-change water temperature set point.
A front plumbing configuration allows you to install it with peace of mind. The inlet and outlet plumbing connections are oriented for convenient drop-in movement and replacement. The smart self-diagnostic codes monitor heat pump performance.
- Quite operating system
- Easy-to-change water temperature setpoint, at 1° increment
- Easy installation and hassle-free movement
- Self-diagnostic codes automatically monitor heat pump performance
- No defections recorded so far
FibroPool FH120 Above Ground Pool Heat Pump
(Best for the Money)
FibroPool FH120 with an output of 20,000 CTU can heat above-ground pools to an 18′ round or a 12′ X 24′ oval, and in-ground pools up to 7,500 gallons. It has maximized energy efficiency to achieve a COP of 4.81 utilizing a high-pressure scroll compressor.
It is perfectly designed for a quick installation that takes less than 30 minutes with 1 1/2” compression fittings. The easy set digital display allows for quick adjustments from the unit—long-lasting durability with an all-metal, enamel-coated case that will last year after year.
- Maximized energy efficiency to achieve a COP of 4.81
- Ensures comfortable swimming conditions down to a temperature of 40°F
- Weather-proof sleek design with enamel-coated chassis case
- Provides quick access and adjustments to all FH series unit control
- Due to a lack of humidity, heat pumps perform very slowly in Arizona weather
Pentair 460932 UltraTemp Heat Pump
(Best for Cold Climates)
Pentair 460932 is the best heat pump for cold climates. It is equipped with an efficient automatic to defrost feature that senses refrigerant temperature and prevents ThermalFlo from freezing, which allows the heat pump to operate at lower temperatures correctly.
There is no need to worry about its extra-durable longevity since 100% titanium heat exchanger assures corrosion-free performance. AutoSet features to monitor and maintain desired pool temperatures by turning the water circulation pump on and off as needed.
- 100% titanium heat exchanger assures corrosion-free performance
- LCD control board displays an intuitive, menu-driven readout
- Automatic defrost feature that prevents ThermalFlo from freezing
- Compatible with All automated control packages
- Screws on the outer case tend to shake loose
See Also: 15 Best Winter Pool Covers
Hayward HP50HA Fan Pool Heat Pump
Talking about pool heat pumps’ efficiency? Hayward HP50HA Fan Pool Heat Pump deserves its first place in this category. This economical heat pump can efficiently heat in- or above-ground pools up to 13,000 gallons in an energy- and time-efficient manner.
It offers a straightforward installation with everything needed at your hardware store. It maintains a quiet, relaxed backyard environment with Hayward Quiet Technology. Besides the heating function, it also includes a cooling mode to help lower water temperature.
- Heats pool water more efficiently with its Titanium Heat Exchanger
- Takes the heat from the surrounding air and uses it to warm the water
- A cooling mode to help lower water temperature when needed
- An easy-to-follow installation
- It is not quite adequate for winter months in cold climate states
AquaCal TropiCal T115 Pool Heat Pump
Rest assured that AquaCal prides itself on having “the best heat pump warranty in the industry” This warranty covers parts for seven years, labor for two years, heat exchangers for the heat pump’s lifetime, and compressors for seven years.
Besides a 7-year extended warranty, it has a high-performance titanium heat exchanger. The heating operation works well down to mid to low 40s F. It is protected against sun and weather exposure with impact-resistant, rust, and fade-proof cabinets.
- The best warranty for 7-year long
- Quieter operation than conventional heat pumps
- Works well down to mid to low 40s F
- Impact-resistant, rust and fade-proof cabinets
- The control panel is quite complicated to get the hang of
Hayward W3HP HeatPro BTU Pool Heat Pump
Hayward W3HP HeatPro is a high-performance, energy-efficient pool heat pump with an output of 90,000 BTU that can maintain ideal pool temperature at all times. The industry’s only standard Ultra Gold corrosion-resistant evaporator fin provides extreme durability.
Its compact design allows for a no-brainer installation. Complete with a titanium counter-flow heat exchanger for maximum heat transfer. With an overall 4-star rating based on 95 reviews on Amazon, HeatPro is an excellent choice to extend your swim season.
- Runs pretty quietly for its size of the fan and compressor
- Industry’s only standard Ultra Gold corrosion-resistant evaporator fin
- A titanium counter-flow heat exchanger for maximum heat transfer
- Smart auto water flow detection
- Thin plastic front cover
FibroPool FH220 Swimming Pool Heat Pump
(Best for Small Pools)
With its lightweight and compact design, FibroPool FH220 is the most sought-after pool heat pump for small pools and spas. It only weighs 77.8 lbs with a dimension of 35.2 x 21.2 x 13.33 inches thick. Moreover, the installment is as easy as counting up to three.
What’s worse than swimming next to an ear-splitting pool heat pump, especially in a small pool? That’s why FibroPool FH220’s noise level is a conversational noise (55Db). It comes with the best-in-class COP efficiency of 4.85 and up to 7,200 gallons of heating capacity.
- Lightweight, compact design for small pools and spas
- Best-in-class COP of 4.85
- Noise level is below daytime noises
- User-friendly installation
- It is not effective at maintaining a temperature higher than 93F
AquaCal Tropical T90 Pool Heat Pump
Even though the low price might get you suspicious about this heat pump. But it was designed to make it worth every penny of yours while fitting any budget at the same time. It’s a perfect choice for both above-ground pools and small in-ground pools.
It utilizes the ThermoLink Titanium heat exchanger with patented counter-flow water management for superior efficiency. They are equipped with this preferred heat exchanger, which provides excellent efficiency and longevity.
- High-performance ThermoLink titanium heat exchanger
- It allows efficient heating operation down to mid to low 40s°F
- Lockable, flip-out control panel protected against sun and weather
- Impact-resistant, rust and fade-proof cabinet
- No defections recorded so far
Raypak 013306 Titanium Digital Pool Heat Pump
Raypak 013306 Heat Pump belongs to the Classic Series of the brand, which is specifically designed to meet the high-class standards of professional pools and spas who demand the best. Raypak focuses on providing the most powerful heat pumps at an affordable price.
With no exception, it is equipped with a Titanium heat exchanger. Also, it comes with a high-capacity 3000-Cfm Venturi Fan Cowling that produces better heating and eliminates unwanted air gaps. Maximizes heating at lower temperatures with Large Air Coils.
- Powerful 3000-Cfm Venturi Fan Cowling
- Covered with exclusively durable powder-coated, non-rusting cabinet
- Unique compressor design produces high efficiency while the sound level is low
- Different target temperature flexibility for pools and spas
- No defections recorded so far
Choosing the Best Pool Heat Pump – Buying Guide
Besides the basic specifications listed above, there are other important factors related to pool heat pumps. The first step to deciding on which type of heater fits your pool best, you need is to take into consideration these following things.
The Pool’s Size
It is crucial to determine your pool size to match it with the correct BTU output. If you aren’t sure how many gallons you have, measure your pool, and use this pool volume equation. Use the following equation to get an approximate heat pump BTU requirement:
(Surface Area) x (Temperature Increase) x 12 = (Minimum BTU Needed)
After determining the volume of your pool in gallons, follow this general guideline for heat pump BTUs:
|Pool Volume (Gal.)||Heat Output (BTU)|
The COP of a heat pump generally measures between 3.0 and 7.0, which translates to an efficiency rate between 500% and 600%. Therefore, the higher the COP number for the pool heater, the more energy-efficient it is.
So speaking of COP, choose a high efficiency. Since no one wants to waste unnecessary electricity, this is why fitting the right side of the heat pump for your pool is of primary importance for optimum efficiency and minimizing energy costs.
Noise from a swimming pool pump on a residential premise that can be heard must cease during certain times: before 8 am or after 8 pm on any Sunday or public holiday, or before 7 am or after 8 pm on any other day.
So this is a valid consideration when it comes to your peaceful and quiet environment, or sometimes due to its close locations to your neighbors. You should look into the factors that affect the noise level: the fan blades’ pitch, the fan motor, and the compressor.
Not all heat pumps were designed to heat pool water at lower temperatures. Most heat pumps shut down when the outside temperatures go down below 55° degrees, while some can continue to operate down to the mid to low 40s.
The colder the air, the less heat your heat pump will be able to produce. So it’s crucial to buy a pool heat pump based on your local weather condition to determine the most suitable heating power for the most efficient result without it being damaged.
How Does a Heat Pump Work for a Pool?
Pool heat pumps are extraordinarily efficient because they use electricity and do not generate heat to warm pools or spa water. Instead, heat pumps have a fan which transfers heat from the outside ambient air that has been warmed by the sun into the water.
Pool pumps use electricity to draw “free” heat in from the air and then transfer the heat to your pool water. Humidity plays a big role in how well the heat pump will work. The more humidity or moisture in the air, the more heat a heat pump can extract.
The pool pump circulates the swimming pool water drawn from the pool. It then passes through a filter and the heat pump water heater. The heating process begins when the Liquid refrigerant gas and water from the pool is pumped through the heat exchanger.
The water is warmed up 3-5 degrees as it passes through, and then the warmer water flows back into the pool. The hot gas, as it flows through the condenser coil, cools down into a liquid form and back to the evaporator, where the whole process begins again.
Now, the cooled liquid refrigerant passes through an expansion valve, which controls the flow of the refrigerant from the high-pressure side into the unit’s low-pressure zone. As pressure is released, the refrigerant becomes a hot, high-pressure gas.
Then incoming air interacts with the cooling liquid (refrigerant) inside of the evaporator coil. As the refrigerant expands into a gas, it cools rapidly. It circulates through the evaporator coils, which results in the cooling liquid becoming warmer and warmer.
The heater needs to be installed between the pool filter and the chlorine generator. Since you need to make sure that the water is entirely free of particulates or dirt when it enters the heater, and contact with corrosive chemicals should be kept to a minimum.
See Also: 15 Best Cartridge Pool Filters
The Difference Between a Pool Heater and Heat Pump
Electric pool heaters and pool heat pumps both run with electricity. The difference is that pool heat pumps are more electricity cost-efficient as it transfers the warmth of the air into the water.
Although long-term run costs are low, heat pumps do have a slight disadvantage. Since heat pumps use the surrounding air around the unit to heat the water, heat pumps lose their heating efficiency when temperatures drop below 50 degrees.
Unlike heat pumps, pool heaters can heat water temperatures quickly at any temperature. They also have a lower upfront cost. But they require higher utility and run costs in the long-run, which eventually costs even more than the original price.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some frequently asked questions about pool heat pumps.
Swim Network Overview
I am sure you’re reading these best pool heat pump reviews hoping to find the best pool heat pump that works as advertised and won’t break the bank, so I hope that you have found this article helpful during your search for the right one for you and your pool.
Based on your personal needs, you can choose from the best rated Hayward W3HP HeatPro BTU Pool Heat Pump or AquaCal Tropical T90 Heat Pump as the best for the money or Hayward HP50HA Fan Pool Heat Pump as the most efficient option.
It is always a great pleasure to hear your opinion about this article in the comment section below. So don’t hesitate to let me know what you think. Sharing it to Facebook and Twitter is an excellent way to spread the word about quality pool heat pumps.