Owning a swimming pool does not mean you can look after and protect it all the time, so it is ideal to rely on the best winter pool covers. A pool cover is especially beneficial in such cold weather when there are multiple hazards to attack its water.
Solar pool covers keep the provided heat in the pool water through the night time. The warm temperature can remain the same without decreasing while a regular cover for the winter season performs better in pool protection from all risks.
These winter covers are manufactured in diverse shapes, materials, and designs to suit all residential swimming pools. Each of them comes with a full set of accessories for proper installation. Here is the access to this fantastic world of winter pool covers.
Table of Contents
- Why to Cover a Pool in the Winter?
- What Is the Best Winter Pool Cover?
- Comparison of Top 15 Best Winter Pool Covers 2020
- Reviews of the Best Winter Pool Covers
- Lite Strong 16x32ft Mesh Inground Safety Winter Pool Cover
- Blue Wave Bronze Round Winter Pool Cover
- Pool Mate Heavy-Duty Inground Winter Pool Cover
- Blue Wave Rectangular Inground Safety Winter Pool Cover
- Blue Wave Gold Above Ground Oval Pool Winter Cover
- Robelle Above Ground Winter Pool Cover
- WaterWarden 16x32ft Safety Winter Pool Cover
- Intex Deluxe 18ft Round Winter Pool Cover
- Blue Wave Silver Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
- In The Swim 24ft Round Winter Pool Cover
- In The Swim 28ft Round Leaf Net Winter Pool Cover
- Blue Wave Gold Round Pool Winter Cover
- Robelle Platinum Above Ground Winter Pool Cover
- Pool Mate Above Ground Winter Pool Cover
- Happybuy Rectangle Solid Safety Winter Pool Cover
- How to Choose the Best Winter Pool Cover?
- How to Install Winter Pool Cover?
- How to Clean Winter Pool Cover?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Swim Network Overview
Why to Cover a Pool in the Winter?
A pool must be covered to shield different internal pool components and maintain the chemical balance of its chlorine water. The cover protects the pool from rains and storms along with all of their debris amount and, sometimes, intense UV radiation as well.
There are many risks of quick abrasion, algae growth, fallen leaves, debris, and bacteria invading the water and damaging this pool from the inside. It also prevents small children and pets from getting into the pool and leads to unwanted accidents.
A cover helps preserve the benefits of a pool heater since it regularly works in the winter—indeed, less stressful work and operation time for the pool cleaners and pool skimmers. Having a pool cover saves costs for pool maintenance in the future.
What Is the Best Winter Pool Cover?
To ensure the safest level of camouflage for your swimming pools, you will need to know which ones are indeed the finest one. Notwithstanding the countless number of this pool item available, I manage to filter the best winter pool covers.
- Best Overall: Lite Strong 16x32ft Mesh Inground Safety Winter Pool Cover
"4,000-lb break strength, guards against fraying, does not collect water."
- Best Budget: In The Swim 24ft Round Winter Pool Cover
"An 8-year limited warranty, simple installation, works for heavy duties."
- Best for Above Ground Pools: Blue Wave Bronze Round Winter Pool Cover
"Fits most top rails, natural weather protection, adapts to an air pillow."
- Best Heavy Duty: Pool Mate Heavy-Duty Inground Winter Pool Cover
"Blocks algae growth, a large 5-foot overlap, handles tough situations."
- Best for Ingound Pools: Blue Wave Rectangular Inground Safety Winter Pool Cover
"Full set of hardware, anti-abrasion wear strips, prevents tearing apart."
- Best for Snow: Blue Wave Gold Above Ground Oval Pool Winter Cover
"Ensures safety from snow, includes winch tightener, retards all algae."
- Best With Grommets: Robelle Above Ground Winter Pool Cover
"Contains an 8x8 scrim, floats quite comfortably, multiple color choices."
- Best With Steps: WaterWarden 16x32ft Safety Winter Pool Cover
"Top and bottom straps, easy removal from pools, 4x8 center end step."
- Best for Intex Pool: Intex Deluxe 18ft Round Winter Pool Cover
"Reduces water accumulation, offers UV resistance, heavy-duty rope."
- Best for High Wind Areas: Blue Wave Silver Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
"Withstands sleet conditions, rip-proof grommets, heat-sealed seams."
Comparison of Top 15 Best Winter Pool Covers 2020
The pool covers in this article distinguish a lot from each other. Take a look at the criteria below to acknowledge their descriptions and figure out the most suitable one to buy. I believe these standards of the best winter pool covers will become much helpful.
Reviews of the Best Winter Pool Covers
Winter covers are genuine saviors for pool cleanups in spring because they can shield all sorts of visible debris and prevent multiple risks from the inside. I would like to bring you detailed reviews of the best winter pool covers available.
Lite Strong 16x32ft Mesh Inground Safety Winter Pool Cover
(Best Overall - Editor's Choice)
The pool cover from Lite Strong is a high mesh made with two layers. The rain can seep through this pool cover, but it is sure to stop leaves and large debris from entering. It has brass anchors that hold the cover firmly in place with the pool deck.
Being carefully stitched from multiple seams, this Lite Strong mesh pool cover for winter avoids being torn apart. It can resist damage from elements with stainless steel hardware. There are wear strips below it to prevent chances of cover abrasion.
- It does not let leaves cross through.
- There are brass anchors to secure.
- The stitched seams cannot be torn.
- The strong stainless steel hardware.
- It has to wear strips to avoid abrasion.
- It stands a likelihood to create algae.
You May Like: 15 Best Pool Cover Reels
Blue Wave Bronze Round Winter Pool Cover
(Best for Above Ground Pools)
Regarding all of the worst weather risks in winter, including snow, wind, and ice, this Blue Wave pool cover provides a high safety level for 28-foot above ground pools. It is manufactured from premium polyethylene equipped with a rugged scrim & coating.
A significant overlap of 4 feet is the ideal measurement for the winter cover to enable proper fit while minimizing ripping/stretching in the long run, unlike 3-foot ones. This whole cover has been built to endure intense sunlight, so it is expected to last for quite long.
You needn’t worry much about algae anymore because it includes an underside that reduces their growth. The seam lines of this cover’s underside are fully sealed with heat. There are a heavy-duty cable and winch tightener in the package for assembly.
- It secures pools from all winter issues.
- Its polyethylene scrim is truly rugged.
- Its significant overlap can prevent stretching.
- It has undersides to limit algae growth.
- It comes with a cable and a tightener.
- Water cannot be drained off the cover.
Pool Mate Heavy-Duty Inground Winter Pool Cover
(Best Heavy Duty)
The brand Pool Mate has produced a winter pool cover to handle all heavy duties for in-ground pools in the most optimal way. It will float comfortably on the water surface after being installed and prevent external debris from invading and contaminating the pool.
Water-tube loops are available to buy separately from this cover package if you wish to use them with the water tubes. Its 5-foot overlap is considered quite large. As the winter cover features heat-sealed seams, it is capable of restraining all algae growth.
- It can be applied to help heavy-duty.
- It eliminates all kinds of external dirt.
- It has loops to work with water tubes.
- The heat-sealed seams block algae.
- Its water tube loops are quite flimsy.
Blue Wave Rectangular Inground Safety Winter Pool Cover
(Best for Ingound Pools)
The brass anchors of this rectangle winter cover from Blue Wave ensure that they are drilled and tamped in the surrounding concrete. It prevents pets and children from accidental drowning. This complete hardware kit is beneficial for installation.
Water can easily seep through each of its mesh panels, but other debris types will stay behind. As the pool cover has been stitched with multiple seams, there are low possibilities of tearing or wearing. Its wear strips are fantastic at preventing fraying.
- The drill/tamp anchors from brass.
- It enables safety for kids and pets.
- It filters out debris from the water.
- The multi-seamed stitching mesh.
- No major defections are detected.
Blue Wave Gold Above Ground Oval Pool Winter Cover
(Best for Snow)
Snowy weather is inevitable during winter; therefore, you need to have a pool cover to deal with this kind of dirt properly. The cover from Blue Wave performs well for oval pools. There will be no ripping apart or material stretching with this powerful item.
Both of its heavy-duty cable and winch tighteners are vinyl-coated to keep the cover in place by anchoring. The woven polyethylene material of this winter pool cover has been UV-stabilized to protect pools from sun rays. It comes with a 15-year warranty.
- It protects oval pools from the snow.
- It cannot be torn/ripped apart easily.
- It has a vinyl-coated cable & tightener.
- It is backed with a 15-year warranty.
- It is much below the stated pool size.
Robelle Above Ground Winter Pool Cover
(Best With Grommets)
Although there are nearly 20 different color options for the Robelle winter pool cover, it always has a black underside to prevent algae growth effectively. Its scrim count is proof of the cover’s strength. You should use the winch and cable with its grommets.
- Its underside can limit algae growth.
- The 8×8 scrim makes it far more reliable.
- It has accessories for the grommets.
- The edges binding are ¼ unstitched.
WaterWarden 16x32ft Safety Winter Pool Cover
(Best With Steps)
All of the components in the hardware kit of this WaterWarden 16x32ft pool cover are crafted from high-quality metals, including anchors, springs, and hooks. Each cover is stitched with 3 layers and strapped from the top to its bottom to add extra durability.
Moreover, the exclusive X-Tacking technology of this brand provides fine stitching for strap crossing on the corners to ensure more reinforcement. The center end step is measured at 4x8 feet. Its 4,000-lb break strength can handle kids and pets walking on.
- Its hardware is from premium metals.
- It is triple-stitched & double-strapped.
- It has reinforcement for the stitching.
- It includes a center end step of 4x8ft.
- The directions are not easy to grasp.
Intex Deluxe 18ft Round Winter Pool Cover
(Best for Intex Pool)
Without a doubt, Intex is one of the most important names in the pool manufacturing industry, and they also produce other supporting accessories like this winter pool cover. It can fit Intex round pools of 18-foot in diameter together with 8 inches of overhang.
Some clamps are quick-released and a cinch rope for you to hold the cover in place against windy situations. Its material also provides optimal resistance to UV. Drain holes are available on the pool cover to prevent the accumulation of water.
- It adapts to 18ft round pools by Intex.
- It is held in place with clamps & rope.
- It offers resistance to both wind & UV.
- It restricts water gathering via drains.
- Its eyelets are too close to the edges.
Blue Wave Silver Above Ground Pool Winter Cover
(Best for High Wind Areas)
You can still protect the above ground pool in windy areas with this winter pool cover from Blue Wave. Being in the middle price range, the cover works quite well to shield pools from harmful UV effects. Its 4-foot overlap hardly stretches or rips apart soon.
Since it features an underside in black, this pool cover is capable of restraining algae growth effectively. The winch tightener and heavy-duty cable in this package are both vinyl-coated for durability. Its coating and scrim are made out of woven polyethylene.
- It protects pools from wind and UV.
- The overlap does not stretch or rip.
- It reduces the risks of algae growth.
- It has a woven polyethylene scrim.
- Water cannot go through its surface.
In The Swim 24ft Round Winter Pool Cover
You can obtain the high value of a bargain to own a winter pool cover for 24-foot pools like this one from In The Swim. Its polyethylene material has been laminated 3 times with a 8 x 8 scrim to ensure the cover is durable and inhibits UV.
- This cover price is at a cheap range.
- It is suitable for round pools of 24 ft.
- The material is layered polyethylene.
- It can provide defense from UV rays.
- It is possible to tear the pool liner up.
In The Swim 28ft Round Leaf Net Winter Pool Cover
(Best Leaf Net)
No pool owners would like to have leaves fallen all over the pool water; therefore, getting this special cover from In The Swim is essential. It contains a leaf catcher to be easily placed on top of the cover to collect leaves from falling into pools.
When it is no longer needed, just lift the leaf net off of this winter pool cover. You will never have to worry about rotting leaves in the pool bottom. The knitted polyethylene cover goes with metal winch, wire cable, and fastening loops to settle this net to the pool.
- A leaf catcher is easy to be placed.
- It limits the risk of decaying leaves.
- It has the required tools to secure.
- The grommet holes are misaligned.
Blue Wave Gold Round Pool Winter Cover
(Best With Long Warranty)
Being manufactured at the size of 28-foot, the Blue Wave above ground pool cover obtains a considerable 4-foot overlap to suit the 24-foot pool size. It fits more full top rails and does not rip or stretch at ease. This pool cover prevents all kinds of weather threats.
The item certainly worths being invested in since it comes with 15 years of warranty. Its heavy-duty cable and strong winch tightener should be anchored to this cover with the metal grommets. All of its seams are heat-sealed to ensure no algae growth.
- It contains 4 feet of big-size overlap.
- It handles lots of weather conditions.
- A warranty of 15 yrs backs it.
- The heat-sealed seams block algae.
- The weaving might come apart soon.
Robelle Platinum Above Ground Winter Pool Cover
(Best With Large Scrim)
While most other winter pool cover features an 8x8 scrim, the above-ground cover from Robelle provides you with a larger one of 12x12. The polyethylene applied to make this cover meets the commercial-grade and weighs only around 3.26 ounces.
It does not allow any kind of water to go through, and the underside in black can stop algae from growing in pools. This dual-interlocking layer technology for its material can inhibit UV radiation. There are a cable and a winch to connect with the grommets.
- It offers a larger scrim than average.
- The material is in commercial-grade.
- It does not allow water to go through.
- It has tools to use with the grommet.
- Water keeps collecting on the cover.
Pool Mate Above Ground Winter Pool Cover
(Best to Prevent Algae)
This winter pool cover from Pool Mate is suitable for small oval above ground pools of 10x15ft with an elegant sandstone color. To block algae against growing, the cover inhibits UV rays from the outside. A 12-year full warranty backs it.
Throughout the entire winter season, it will help to eliminate all sorts of debris from entering into the pool. Regarding the supplied cable and winch tightener, you should use them for the grommets that are placed every 4 feet on this cover for steadiness.
- It works for oval above ground pools.
- It resists UV and blocks algae growth.
- It lowers the debris number in winter.
- A cable & winch are for the grommet.
- It appears to wear and shred quickly.
Happybuy Rectangle Solid Safety Winter Pool Cover
Because the Happybuy winter pool cover has been well-sealed with each mesh, it minimizes the pool's water evaporation effect. On the top to the bottom of its seams, there is a reinforced webbing for steadiness. It is child-protective.
Its primary material is polypropylene, capable of resisting high temperatures and abrasion while not being toxic at all. The 304 stainless steel tension spring simply cannot rust. This winter pool cover performs well for both personal and commercial uses.
- It blocks the water from evaporating.
- Reinforced webbing of all the seams.
- The material is excellent at handling the heat.
- It supports lots of different purposes.
- Its straps are loosened under stress.
How to Choose the Best Winter Pool Cover?
Choosing the most suitable and best winter pool covers that are compatible with your pool shape and size must be the priority. However, I advise you to check for these essential factors when going shopping for any winter pool covers as well.
Some cover allow the rain to seep through, but other dirt particles stay behind, so garbage cannot access the pool water. Even if the pool cover is a mesh or made of polyethylene, it should provide filtration of leaves, twigs, snow, etc.
The pool cover has to include an effective black underside to prevent the growth of algae. Or else, moss and algae stand a high chance of developing from inside the pool. You would have to drain out all of that capacity and fill the pool with new water.
In some cases, a winter pool cover package also provides a separate leaf catcher to collect leaves. This net enables easy application and lifting for flexible use. There will be fewer concerns related to rotting leaves in the pool bottom during the next clean.
An overlap of a winter pool cover is an extra material that is beyond the pool size. This overlap is often provided to increase the overall size for the cover, for instance, a 24-foot round swimming pool with a 4-foot overlap would be 28 feet in total.
The standard overlap measurement is 4 feet for easy installation, while several pool cover packages offer larger 5-foot ones. This size helps the overlap to fit more full top rails but does not get stretched out or ripped apart easily, like those with only 3 feet.
Overlap comes with all kinds of different cover designs. It means you can have one for complete coverage regardless of the pool size and structure. Do not forget to check for this part whenever you obtain a complete package of a winter pool cover.
A heavy-duty cable and a winch tightener are usually supplied in most winter pool cover packages. They are considered additional assurance that the cover would be secured to a pool deck or through the provided metal grommets.
Most of them would include a vinyl coating or manufactured from stainless steel to withstand natural or chemical elements. Since these accessories might rust or turn abrasive, they need to be utterly weatherproof against all risks of rain and UV radiation.
Having such installation tools for high stability is helpful when the winter weather condition becomes severe. When it rains, snow or the winds are too harsh, and the cover would not blow out of its place and leave the swimming pool unprotected.
How to Install Winter Pool Cover?
The process of installing a winter pool cover involves 5 different stages, in which you have to complete diverse actions before placing a cover on the pool. All of the steps are essential for the pool to be under control while being unused through the winter.
Clean the pool in advance
If there are large debris and particles left in the bottom, such as pine needles, bugs, leaves, they all have to be removed entirely before the pool coverage through winter seasons. The reason behind this is that such dirt can easily clog the skimmer.
You can choose to use a skimmer net or the pool filtration to get rid of debris on the water surface. When the pool is already cleaned up before the winter, there would be less work for the cover. This swimming pool can get ready instantly upon opening.
Balance the water chemistry
Never underestimate the power of the chemical balance in your pool water. It should be checked before covering the pool to make sure its chlorine water is doing all right. These following chemical substances are effective in preserving the water quality in winter.
To test the balance of water chemistry, there are many chemical pool test kits on the market. Your pool should be applied with chlorine shock powder and other winterizing chemicals. The standard pH rate is 7.2-7.6, and Alkalinity is 80-120 ppm.
Reduce the water level
Its water level should reach below the mouth of the pool skimmer, and no water is left in the throat. This is due to the risk that freezing water during winter might damage its skimmer. You could either choose a submersible or filter pump to lower the water rate.
When the water level is lowered not to touch the underside of a cover, there will be no wet spots created. These wet spots on the underside prevent leaves from blowing off and also allow tannins to leach into the pool water. So this step is significant.
Drain out all equipment
Pool equipment needs to be drained, and most of them include drain plugs for your convenience. Remaining water might freeze and cause harm to these tools (filtering, pumping, heating systems). Filter cartridges and pool pumps should be removed.
See Also: 21 Best Pool Filters
Place the pool cover on
The more significant the overlap, the more optimal coverage for the pool. It should not have holes for any debris to surpass. There are cables and winch tighteners to secure the cover. Also, cover the pool pump if it has not been properly winterized when not in use.
In case you are still afraid that the pool cover might blow off in windy situations, you can try placing several water bags or aqua blocks. They would provide a sufficient amount of weight on this cover. Now, your pool can have its rest before the spring.
How to Clean Winter Pool Cover?
The winter pool cover itself requires cleaning after several applications, though not frequently. The suggested time is every 3-6 months. It is a simple work as it does not need any specialized tools, and you only have to eliminate the heavy muck off of it.
Spray water on this large surface with a garden hose or pool pump. Add extra mild detergent like dish soap and scrub the cover with a pool brush or push broom. Place it on the pool liner for more natural cleaning. Rinse again and let the cover dry under the sun.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some frequently asked questions about winter pool covers.
Swim Network Overview
It is undeniable that winter pool covers are the ultimate solution for pool protection in winter times when there are numerous external risks. The best winter pool covers in this article would be much helpful and convenient to help you secure home pools.
The best overall product is said to be the Lite Strong 16x32ft Mesh Inground Safety Winter Pool Cover. While the Robelle Above Ground Winter Pool Cover is a fine one with grommets, you should buy the In The Swim 28ft Round Leaf Net Winter Pool Cover to catch leaves.
I have faith that my buying guide will save you a bunch of effort while going shopping for winter pool covers. I would also like to know what you think about this article via the comment section below.
If you find it beneficial, kindly share this information with friends and family on Facebook and Twitter right this instant. Thank you for reading.