If you’re wondering which solar pool cleaners are currently top-rated on the market, let’s flick through my reviews of the 6 Best Solar Pool Cleaners. They ensure to make your Sunday swimming experience as enjoyable as possible.
Pool cleaners vary in a wide range of type and design on the market. Users have long been familiar with some pool cleaner types such as classic handheld pool vacuum or modern robotic pool cleaner.
Today we will discover a more innovative product of the latest advancement in pool technology, a solar powered pool cleaner.
This type of cleaner is actually just a floatable cleaning device with the same function as a typical pool cleaner. It automatically detects debris and leaves and suction them up. But the greatest thing is that it utilizes solar energy to charge its own batteries. That saves lots of money.
Being considered as an eco-friendly device, this solar pool cleaner since it first came out, has been widely favoured among modern pool owners. It’s truly a valuable and budget-friendly investment for your pool. So why not give it a try?
Table of Contents
- The 6 Best Solar Pool Cleaners to Buy in 2023
- Comparison Chart
- The 6 Best Solar Pool Cleaners Reviews
- Choosing the Best Solar Pool Cleaner – Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Swim Network Overview
The 6 Best Solar Pool Cleaners to Buy in 2023
After doing a lot of research on this type of pool device, I’ve ended up with this shortlist of the top 6 Best Solar Pool Cleaners. Some of their main outstanding features and functions are also noted.
- Best Overall: Solar Breeze NX2
“Automatically remove 90-95% debris, keep working for several hours after sundown, move freely with the powered bumper wheels, feature the Trichlor tablet dispenser tray.”
- Best for Leaves: Skimdevil Robotic Solar Pool Surface Cleaner
“Remote controlled, the SkimSmart navigation suctions up the debris of every corner of your pool, work on your preferred schedules, extra-large collection basket.”
- Best for Vinyl Liners: Solar Breeze NX
“Automatically remove 90-95% debris, sanitize your pool with chlorine, the chemical dispenser tray features the increased collection capacity, can be used for Vinyl liner pools.”
- Best Value for the Money: Instapark Betta Robotic Solar Powered Pool Cleaner
“100% powered by solar energy, no cable connection required, feature the underwater brushless motor, switch between automatic and remote control, UV damage-resistant.”
- Best for Large Debris: SolaSkimmer Automatic Solar Pool Skimmer
“Feature the removable debris tray, the infrared sensors to prevent debris getting stuck, clean small and large debris, extra-large basket.”
- Best for Dirt: Aquamoto Skimbot Robotic Solar Pool Cleaner
“Remote control with the Skimbot app, features the Four forward-facing sensors and the Anti-Collision Sensors for better navigation, free of cords and cable.”
The comparison table below covers each product’s main technical criteria on my 6 Best Solar Pool Cleaner list. It will help you better narrow down your choice.
|Solar Pool Cleaners||Dimension (inches)||Weight (lbs)||Battery life (hours)||Warranty (years)|
|Solar Breeze NX2 - Best Overall|
|22 x 20 x 7.5||12.32||Up to 23.5||1|
|Skimdevil Robotic Solar Pool Surface Cleaner - Best for Leaves||24 x 21 x 6||10.2||Up to 7||1|
|Solar Breeze NX - Best for Vinyl Liners||20 x 23 x 6||10||Up to 23.5||1|
|Instapark Betta Robotic Solar Powered Pool Cleaner - Best Value for the Money||11 x 20.5 x 10||14.43||Not specified||1|
|SolaSkimmer Automatic Solar Pool Skimmer - Best for Large Debris||21.5 x 21.5 x 7||22.2||8||1|
|Aquamoto Skimbot Robotic Solar Pool Cleaner - Best for Dirt||19.5 x 18 x 7||8.58||Not specified||1|
The 6 Best Solar Pool Cleaners Reviews
The combination of pool cleaner and solar power to create an eco-friendly cleaner is one of the greatest ideas I’ve ever known. I love using them a lot and did more search to complete my detailed reviews on the best solar pool cleaners below. Let’s check them out.
1. Solar Breeze NX2
(Best Overall – Editor’s Choice)
The future with your pool will be no more hand-skimming because you’ve discovered this Solar Breeze NX2. Harnessing solar energy from free and abundant sunlight, this device will run almost all day and night to keep your pool always clean and free of debris.
This magic skimmer will automatically sweep away 90 up to 95% of debris on your water surface with all types of debris like leaves, plastics, dirt, buds and prevent them from falling into your pool bottom.
Moreover, after completely cleaning your pool, you can add some chlorine tablets into the chlorine dispenser tray so that this device will help you distribute the pool chemical evenly throughout your pool. Your pool will be more hygienic and sparkling bright.
See Also: Top 15 Best Pool Shocks
Remember to empty the debris tray every day and give the filter screen frequent washes and maintenance to lengthen the device’s lifetime.
- Target dusk, leaves, pollen and many insect kinds
- Robotic design
- Mesh net debris tray
- Front powered bumper wheels
- Integrated Trichlor tablet dispenser tray
- Remove 90-95% of floating debris
- Keep running for several hours after sundown (up to 23.5 hours)
- Excellently navigate your pool to detect debris
- Offer chlorination option with a chlorine dispenser tray
- The debris tray is easy to remove and clean
- Automatically rotate and redirect with the powered bumper wheels
- No cords or hoses are attached
- It will straightly hit the wall before being able to rotate back
|Type of debris||Dusk, pollen, leaves and insects|
|Dimension (inch)||22 x 20 x 7.5|
|Lifetime (hour)||Up to 23.5|
See Also: Top 15 Best Pool Skimmers
2. Skimdevil Robotic Solar Pool Surface Cleaner
(Best for Leaves)
The Skimdevil Robotic solar cleaner will customize your pool-cleaning experience by working on your preferred schedule.
You’re free to choose cleaning cycles, your pool’s size and types, and other conditions. All of these options can be done remotely via the user-friendly Skimdevil App. Once programmed, this device will excellently get its job done, freeing your pools of various debris types.
Besides, by utilizing a variety of technologically advanced components, especially the infrared sensors, this device features enhanced navigation. It means this skimmer will better detect obstacles and avoid slamming the wall.
The Skimdevil runs on the solar-powered battery, which means you don’t need to plug it in, even at night or on cloudy days. Especially, a backup AC/DC charger is also added to maintain a continuous operation even during days without sunlight.
- 8 Solar panels
- Remotely controlled via Skimdevil App
- Powered by solar energy or by a solar charged battery
- A backup AC/DC charger is included
- For pools of all sizes and types, including large commercial pools
- Visible collection tray
- Hoses and cables are not attached
- Keep your pool surface always free of floating debris like leaves, pollen and insects
- Easily customize your device with a user-friendly Skimdevil app, allowing users to adjust specific cleaning cycles as well as pool type and size
- Feature the Skim Smart navigation offering the great maneuverability around obstacles
- Hoses and cables are not attached
- The extra-large collection basket is very easy to remove
- The solar charged battery is ready for days without sunlight, also can be powered by an available backup AC/DC charger
- The debris tray is a bit easy to get rusted
- Not very durable
|Type of debris||Leaves, pollen and insects|
|Remote control||Yes (via Skimdevil app)|
|Dimension (inch)||24 x 21 x 6|
|Lifetime (hour)||Up to 7|
3. Solar Breeze NX
(Best for Vinyl Liners)
It’s rare to find a solar pool cleaner that does not harm your vinyl liner. Now you can be at ease with the birth of the Solar Breeze NX. This robotic cleaner, run by the solar-powered battery, will keep your pool hygiene by suctioning up 90-95% of debris.
The cleaner will reduce a huge amount of debris before they have any possibility of sinking into the pool bottom, especially organic materials like dead algae that might decay in the sunlight.
Actually, the copper ions which are released from the ion-disbursing anode will effectively kill algae and simultaneously suction up. This is one of the greatest points of the Solar Breeze NX. Its function is beyond an ordinary solar pool cleaner.
Besides, this solar cleaner also offers a chlorine tray that accommodates two 3-inch trichlor tablets. You can add some chlorine tablets. Then this device will dispense and spread the chemical evenly across the pool, keeping your pool sanitized.
What you need to do is just simply place it in the water surface, turn on the button and let this device harness energy from the naturally abundant sunlight to automatically navigate and eat up almost all the floating debris.
- For vinyl liner pools
- Integrated chemical dispenser tray
- No cords, hoses or additional attachments are included
- Rechargeable Lithium Ion battery
- Over 30,000 hours of lifespan
- Free 90-95% debris off your pool
- Keep your pool efficiently hygiene with the chlorination option
- The collection capacity is twice larger than regular in-wall skimmer basket
- The soft rubber wheels won’t harm the vinyl liners
- Cords and hoses are not needed
- The lithium battery is fully charged in the sunlight to keep the device working for hours after sundown
- Kill green algae
- Simple to use
- Debris might flow back into the pool when this robotic cleaner is idle
- Cooper stains is left after use
|Type of debris||Dusk, leaves, pollen and bacteria|
|Dimension (inch)||20 x 23 x 6|
|Lifetime (hour)||Up to 23.5|
4. Instapark Betta Robotic Solar Powered Pool Cleaner
(Best Value for the Money)
The intelligent robotic solar-powered pool cleaner from Instapark Betta stands out as a high-quality, heavy-duty and eco-friendly pool device. It is a perfect combination of 100% powered by solar energy, completely autonomous and controlled from the remote.
It excellently detects and suctions up various floating debris types from small sized debris like dusk, pollen to large debris like leaves and dead insects. Thanks to that, your water surface will be kept totally clean and hygiene.
You just need to place it right on the water surface, and it will automatically locate the sun, find the best position in the pool to optimize its charging process. A built-in battery will come in handy at night to keep this device operating continuously.
Besides, the remote control will allow you to conveniently get the robot programmed to perform fast fixed-point cleaning or to steer the robot to dock. You can flexibly switch between the automatic mode and the remote control mode.
- Wirelessly controlled
- Underwater brushless motor
- ETFE-made solar panels with 21,5% conversion efficiency
- Utilize ultrasonic radar sensors
- Debris tray with an additional upper removal (lock batch)
- Powered by solar energy during daytime and by built-in solar charged battery during nighttime
- No cable connection is needed
- Easily control how this device works with the remote control
- A built-in battery is added to keep this device operate almost all night
- Automatically locate the sun and charge itself
- Feature the UV damage-resistant material
- The ultrasonic radar sensors allow better navigation
- The remote control does not sync easily
|Type of debris||Leaves, dust, pollen, dead insects|
|Dimension (inch)||11 x 20.5 x 10|
|Lifetime (hour)||Not Specified|
5. SolaSkimmer Automatic Solar Pool Skimmer
(Best for Large Debris)
Your pool maintenance will be no problem with the SolaSkimmer automatic solar pool skimmer. With an extra-large debris tray and four integrated infrared sensors, this robotic skimmer will excellently detect and suction up both large and small debris off your pool.
The four infrared sensors are very powerful when they prevent your device from slamming the wall and brilliantly detect the wall and turn. Besides, this cleaner offers a unique hold on its body so that users can be aware of when they need to deal with the debris tray.
Moreover, to prevent debris from getting stuck on the pool robot cords, a wire guard is added to free your device of clogging problems with slimmer debris. By the way, if you prefer the AC adapter charging option instead of solar charging, the SolaSkimmer also offers a charging port.
- For inground and above-ground pools
- 4 front infrared sensors
- Powered by solar energy or charged with an AC adapter
- For both large and small debris
- A removable extra-large debris tray
- Four infrared sensors are integrated
- Sweep both large and small debris away from your pool
- Very easy to clean
- Offer a charging port
- Feature a hole on its body for users to check the amount of debris inside
- The wire guard prevents the slimmer from getting stuck
- A bit heavier than other solar pool cleaners
- Small particles might get stuck between the two filter layers
|Type of debris||Leaves, dusk and many other debris types|
|Dimension (inch)||21.5 x 21.5 x 7|
See Also: Top 15 Best Above Ground Pool Filters
6. Aquamoto Skimbot Robotic Solar Pool Cleaner
(Best for Dirt)
The Aquamoto Skimbot pool cleaner will harness energy from the sun to power itself and then proactively remove numerous types of debris: leaves, dirt, plastics, pollen, hair, insects…etc.
The perfect combination of two types of smart sensors, including forward-facing sensors and anti-collision sensors, will allow this device to accurately detect debris to collect them and navigate the wall to redirect in time and prevent it from getting stuck in a corner.
Besides, the Aquamoto Skimbot enables users to adjust the cleaning time in advance via its own Skimbot app. Also, users can check other information like pool temperatures and battery status to make better decisions on its cleaning schedule.
- Sliding collection debris tray
- Bluetooth compatibility via Skimbot app
- Programmed robot maps
- Underwater and above water Anti-Collision sensors
- Effectively remove many types of debris
- Offer a convenient Skimbot app for you to schedule the cleaning time in advance
- Feature four forward-facing sensors
- Anti-collision sensors for more intelligent navigation
- Free of cords and cables
- Access tight spaces and along edges to efficiently get rids of small particles
- Produce a loud noise while running
- The battery is not very strong
|Type of debris||Leaves, pollen, hair, insects, oils, plastics|
|Dimension (inch)||19.5 x 18 x 7|
|Remote Control||Yes (Skimbot app)|
|Lifetime (hour)||Not Specified|
Choosing the Best Solar Pool Cleaner – Buying Guide
Below are some key considerations you should bear in mind for the sake of a trouble-free solar pool cleaner.
Type of Pools
It’s very important that you make clear of which solar pool cleaner model is the most suitable for your pool type and pool size.
A deep pool with a pretty large volume will require a more heavy-duty pool cleaner and also longer cleaning time. Meanwhile, relatively smaller pools will be completely cleaned within several hours.
Therefore, make sure your solar pool cleaner’s battery life is sufficient to get its job done after being charged well.
Besides, you need to choose the right solar pool cleaner which caters to your pool types between in-ground pools and above-ground pools. However, some pool cleaners can be adapted for both of these pool types.
Type of Debris
A typical solar pool cleaner is able to suction up many types of floating debris from large to small sizes such as leaves, algae, insects, plastics, dirt, etc. Some are better at collecting a specific type of debris than others.
Check the product description and comments from the used customer to choose the one which accommodates your demands the most.
Integrated Chemical Dispenser
After the solar pool cleaners complete their cleaning task, some are integrated with a chemical dispenser tray so that you can place on some chlorine tablets and let this device distribute chlorine evenly throughout your pool.
Your pool will be kept more hygiene with this chlorination option. Remember to check it in the product specification. As far as I’m concerned, there’s currently only Solar-Breeze pool cleaners which additionally supply chemical dispensers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I’ve listed here some of the most commonly asked questions about solar pool cleaners. Give them a look if you’re still confused about any information related to this device.
Are Solar Pool Cleaners Worth It?
Robotic pool cleaners are undoubtedly vital pool devices to leisurely keep your pool hygiene. They also help save your time on pool maintenance and work more effectively than traditional pool cleaners.
Besides, people would rather prefer a solar pool cleaner because using this eco-friendly device seems to be a more economical way for your pool maintenance while also greatly reducing the time needed for hand-skimming.
How Do Solar Pool Cleaners Work?
These solar pool cleaners use some tiny solar panels to harness energy from the sun and charge its own battery. While sunshine is abundant in summer, this device really comes in handy to keep your pool clear of debris and reduce non-renewable energy usage.
Besides, the solar energy will be stored to keep this device working after the sundown and even during night time. Some products offer an AC adapter charging option, which is really helpful on darker days.
How Long Does A Solar Pool Cleaner Battery Last?
A typical solar pool cleaner with a lithium battery attached will last for two up to three years if it runs daily. However, if this device is used seasonally, it might last longer.
Also, these solar pool cleaners’ life expectancy will partly depend on how frequently you give them maintenance.
Swim Network Overview
If you’ve already got tired of hand-skimming, it’s time you invested in a solar robotic pool cleaner. You can enjoy more with this unit. It’s completely autonomous when automatically harnessing solar energy to gain the power to sweep away all floating debris off your pool.
If you’re still wondering which one will work the best, simply go for the Solar Breeze NX2 – the best solar pool cleaner overall with reliable skimming capacity and long-lasting solar-powered battery.
Besides, it also comes down to your own preferences to pick out your most suitable one. The best solar pool cleaner to collect large debris calls the name of the SolaSkimmer. While the most suitable one for your vinyl liners will be the Solar Breeze NX.
Lastly, I hope my reviews of the best solar pool cleaners can partly help you figure out your ideal pool device which offers you the best pool sanitation. If you find my article helpful, please share it on Facebook or Twitter. It would be a great encouragement for me. Thanks for reading.