When there is too much debris to handle, I would consider getting the best pool filter cartridges to add strength to the pool filtration system. A filter cartridge for the pool supports vital pool chemicals to perform better and achieve healthier pool water.
It can exclude smaller particles than a sand pool filter of around 5-25 microns and reduces operation time for the pool skimmer. Although it is not as beneficial as a DE pool filter, the cartridge is still a highly recommended choice in the middle of 3.
You should secure the cleaning results in the pool with a suitable solar pool cover at the end of this filtration process. Explore this tempting product range for residential pools with much useful information to obtain the most beautiful and most functional filter cartridge.
Table of Contents
- When to Replace Pool Filter Cartridges?
- What Is the Best Pool Filter Cartridge?
- Comparison Chart
- The 15 Best Pool Filter Cartridges Reviews
- POOLPURE Replacement Pool Filter Cartridge
- Pool Cartridge Replacement for Pentair 520 Filter
- Pentair R173216 150 SF Pool Filter Cartridge
- Hayward CX1750RE Pool Filter Cartridge
- Hayward CX880XREPAK4 Pool Filter Cartridges
- Pentair R173215 100 SF Pool Filter Cartridge
- Intex FBA_29003E Type A Pool Filter Cartridges
- Pleatco PA120 Replacement Pool Filter Cartridge
- Pleatco PRB50-IN Spa Pool Filter Cartridge
- Rx Clear Hydropro PRC120 Pool Filter Cartridge
- Intex 29001E Easy Set Pool Filter Cartridges
- Intex Type A Pool Filter Cartridges
- Guardian Filtration Products Pool Filter Cartridges
- Bestway Type VI Pool Filter Cartridges
- Jacuzzi Proclear Pool Filter Cartridge
- How to Choose the Best Pool Filter Cartridges?
- How to Replace Pool Filter Cartridges?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Swim Network Overview
When to Replace Pool Filter Cartridges?
The pool filter cartridge plays an important role in almost all pool cleaning systems to capture dirt particles in medium sizing and return purified pool water. Even when it does not need frequent maintenance, some filtering abilities will lose after cleaning.
Sooner or later, the amount of oil and debris coming from the external environment will build up inside this filter cartridge. At that point, they can no longer be eliminated. This issue would mainly happen after 3-5 years, so it is suitable to replace the cartridge.
You May Like: 15 Best Pool Backwash Hoses
What Is the Best Pool Filter Cartridge?
Understandably, a few inexperienced users would probably get lost in the vast global market of pool filter cartridges. With my professional help, you will not have to do the challenging work of determining the best pool filter cartridges yourself.
- Best Overall: POOLPURE Replacement Pool Filter Cartridge
“Dirt-locking technology, lead and BPA-free material, supports longer life.”
- Best Budget: Pleatco PRB50-IN Spa Pool Filter Cartridge
“Resists chlorine degradation, works with spa systems, easy to clean.”
- Best Rated: Pool Cartridge Replacement for Pentair 520 Filter
“Provides support bands, eliminates microbial growth, reinforced core.”
- Best Quality: Pentair R173216 150 SF Pool Filter Cartridge
“Goes with 150-square feet, compatible with Pentair pool and spa filters.”
- Best Value for the Money: Hayward CX1750RE Pool Filter Cartridge
“Low maintenance needed, high hydraulic efficiency, fine debris removal.”
- Best for Hayward Cartridge Filter: Hayward CX880XREPAK4 Filter Cartridges
“Exceptional dirt removal, overall structural stability, simplistic operation.”
- Best for Pentair Cartridge Filter: Pentair R173215 100 SF Filter Cartridge
“Works with Pentair above ground pools/spas, 100-square feet available.”
- Best for Intex Cartridge Filter: Intex FBA_29003E Type A Filter Cartridges
“A convenient tri-pack, easy for maintenance, does not need installation.”
- Most Durable: Pleatco PA120 Replacement Pool Filter Cartridge
“Highly efficient polyester prevents wear and tear, maximizes water flow.”
There are plenty of differences among the mentioned pool filter cartridges above. However, the fairest method is to evaluate these best pool filter cartridges on the same features through this comprehensive comparison table.
The 15 Best Pool Filter Cartridges Reviews
Apart from all of the fundamental functions of a pool filter cartridge, I am sure that you are beyond curious about their other exclusive highlights. This detailed review helps you get to know what the best pool filter cartridges can provide users.
POOLPURE Replacement Pool Filter Cartridge
(Best Overall – Editor’s Choice)
Thanks to the BPA-free material and the IAPMO certification against NSF/ANSI 50 of this replacement filter cartridge, it promises to bring safe and purified pool water. The filtration power of the POOLPURE round gets rid of odors and impurities from the water.
It is compatible with a wide range of pool filter models from brands such as Hayward, Sta-Rite, Unicel, Aladdin, etc. This unique fabric structure grabs large contaminants volume and makes cleaning/maintenance easier after use to extend its service life.
- It has been certified against NSF/ANSI 50.
- The durable filtration removes most odors.
- It is compatible with a variety of models.
- Its fabric is helpful for regular maintenance.
- The plastic material is too hard and brittle.
Pool Cartridge Replacement for Pentair 520 Filter
There are 4 replacement pool filter cartridges in this Optimum Pool Technologies package, and each of them comes with support bands. The main material is Reemay, which is a polyester filtration media specifically made to block microbial growth.
Its end cap is made out of durable poly-resin along with a strong reinforced core to provide maximum durability and quality through extended use. This filter cartridge is highly rated as it is easy to clean, easy to install, and certainly value for the money.
- It has wrapped-around support bands.
- The material can lessen microbial growth.
- Its end cap and the core are durable.
- It is highly rated for several reasons.
- No defections have been found so far.
See Also: 16 Best Dolphin Pool Cleaners
Pentair R173216 150 SF Pool Filter Cartridge
To properly filtered Pentair Clean & Clear above ground pools and spas, the brand produces this 150-square feet pool filter cartridge with high quality. It can also work with the Pentair pool and spa cartridge filters from the Predator product range.
This unit is a genuine one that is distributed directly from this brand. It is washable at ease and I would recommend cleaning this pool filter cartridge up after every 3 months of use. As it is easy to clean and install, the cartridge is certainly worth the money.
- It is designed for Pentair pools and spas.
- Can be washed off at ease after uses.
- The installation process is not difficult.
- It is a genuine product that is valuable.
- The holding band of its pleats can break.
Hayward CX1750RE Pool Filter Cartridge
(Best Value for the Money)
This genuine cartridge from Hayward fits in-ground pool filters of the same brand, which has been engineered with high precision and extruded cores. In general, its structural ability is terrific, and hydraulic efficiency is better than expected.
By having 4 cartridge elements in one package is beneficial for filters that require multiple cartridges at once. The unit performs brilliantly to screen out the debris of large sizing inside pool water and returns fresh, clean water back to the Hayward pool.
- It is precisely built with extruded cores.
- It enables maximum hydraulic efficiency.
- It is effective for a multi-cartridge filter.
- It optimally screens out large-size dirt.
- The end cap is too tight to fit the filter.
Hayward CX880XREPAK4 Pool Filter Cartridges
(Best for Hayward Cartridge Filter)
Among all of the Hayward pool filter cartridges reviewed here, this model is currently the best one that needs minimal care throughout its usage. It is highly dependable, especially to accommodate a home swimming pool with a multi-cartridge filtration system.
The high level of hydraulic efficiency has been performing well to help the Hayward pool filter cartridge screen outs most debris. Its package of 4 provides extended durability for the entire season long. You can have the most exceptional debris removal with this unit.
- It does not need to have regular caring.
- It is beneficial for multi-cartridge filters.
- It captures debris with effective hydraulic.
- The 4 elements are durable for seasons.
- It allows dirty water to bypass the filter.
Pentair R173215 100 SF Pool Filter Cartridge
(Best for Pentair Cartridge Filter)
The Pentair pool filter cartridge that is adaptable to their Clean & Clear above ground pool and spa filters provides 100-square feet of filtration area. Its price is in the middle range, and the general efficiency deserves to be the best Pentair unit, in my opinion.
While enabling a perfect fit for its compatible swimming pool models, this pool filter cartridge really does improve the water flow and pool cleaning efficiency at the same time. It is capable of providing plenty of strong suction to keep the pool crystal clear.
- It can work with Pentair pools and spas.
- It offers a large 100 sq. Ft filtration area.
- It fits great and improves water flow.
- The suction efficiency in pools is great.
- Its support bands are torn within weeks.
Intex FBA_29003E Type A Pool Filter Cartridges
(Best for Intex Cartridge Filter)
3 Type A pool filter cartridges from Intex are available in this package that requires no complicated assembly into the existing filtration system. It is made from dacron fiber to be cleaned up with ease, and it should be replaced with a new one every two weeks.
As far as I am concerned, Type A filter cartridges are widely favored for their simple installation and it is what this Intex element can offer. If you wish to use this pool filter cartridge for fish farming, all you are going to need is a suitable pump that fits it to work.
- 3 Type A piece with no tough installation.
- The dacron fiber material is easy to clean.
- This cartridge type is really easy to install.
- It is also suitable to work for fish farming.
- It does not have the center mesh portion.
Pleatco PA120 Replacement Pool Filter Cartridge
Its first free flow cores can create a uniform flow distribution and even load pool debris. The replacement Pleatco pool filter cartridge provides enough efficiency to consume less energy and decrease wear & tear on the pool pump.
You May Like: 13 Best Pool Heat Pumps
It is usually manufactured with a spun-bonded polyester fabric called Reemay that can enhance filtration ability and durability for the cartridge. Chlorine degradation is avoidable with its end cap. The Pleatco support bands are amazingly unbreakable.
- It enables an even debris loading amount.
- It reduces wear and tears on the pool pump.
- The Reemay material is suitable for filtration.
- It contains break-resistant support bands.
- Most of the slats are unglued to the rings.
Pleatco PRB50-IN Spa Pool Filter Cartridge
Even when this Pleatco pool filter cartridge is quite cheap, it still includes end caps that are made to be antimicrobial to reduce the chances of chlorine degradation. It’s ABS material of the 50% open free cores allows water to flow in at a maximum rate.
With high durability and longer lifespan thanks to the cartridge material, you can expect it to last up to 5-6 years with proper maintenance. The element from Pleatco is easy to install for hot tubs and spas as well and its price is in a reasonable range.
- Its end caps resist chlorine degradation.
- The cores let maximum water flow rate.
- It is highly durable with a long lifespan.
- It can also be used for hot tubs & spas.
- The detentions for sizing is not specified.
Rx Clear Hydropro PRC120 Pool Filter Cartridge
To have a cartridge that fits old filter models before 2018, the brand Rx Clear manufactures this specific unit to work with old styles. It is a suitable replacement for broken, damaged cartridges. This element can keep the pool pristine for.a long time.
I have faith that by using the Rx Clear pool filter cartridge for your home pool, you would be able to avoid time-consuming and expensive repairs. Your family can swim in comfort without any worries about pool debris as they will be effectively collected.
- It is adaptable to models before 2013.
- It can keep the pool clean all season.
- It helps prevent unwanted later repair.
- All of the debris is effectively captured.
- No defections have been found so far.
Intex 29001E Easy Set Pool Filter Cartridges
(Best With Large Quantities)
In case you are searching for a pool filter cartridge package with large quantities, Intex might be the most ideal option. It is a genuine Intex Type S1 element. The ultimate filtration can be done with this cartridge made from heavy-duty dacron paper.
Your spa jet massage water can achieve its cleanest and most refreshing condition with a pair of this pool filter cartridge. It offers an exact fit for your existing filter and quite easy to change afterward. It is reusable for a long time with good maintenance.
- This pack provides 6 pool filter cartridges.
- The material can achieve superior filtration.
- It is beneficial for massage water like a pair.
- It is simple to install, change, and reuse.
- It seems to get dirty more comfortable than expected.
Intex Type A Pool Filter Cartridges
(Best Type A Cartridge Filter)
The convenient twin pack of this Type A pool filter cartridges from Intex is adaptable to the same brand’s filter models. As usual, this brand chooses to manufacture it with the special dacron fiber material that requires no complicated actions to clean up.
Of course, this cartridge will fit the Intex filter pumps and any other elements as long as they are also Type A. In case you cannot find it at local stores, online shopping is a great alternative. The pool filter cartridge can be washed with any of your garden hosen.
- The twin cartridge pack is convenient.
- It can be easily cleaned up after use.
- It works with Intex pumps and filters.
- It can be purchased online with ease.
- The lack of a strainer in its center hole.
Guardian Filtration Products Pool Filter Cartridges
The Reemay filtration fabric has been long known as the industry-leading material, and this Guardian Filtration Products cartridge is manufactured entirely from it. It is 25-square feet and offers expansive flow cores and provides more filtration surface.
A wide range of pool filter cartridge models can be replaced with this one if they have failed to function properly. Aside from the obvious support for a pool filtration system, it also works for spa filters. You can have two identical packs at a reasonable price.
- It is made out of premium Reemay fabric.
- It enables far more surface for filtration.
- It is a nice replacement for a lot of models.
- The two packs are connectible to spas.
- All of the pleats are not evenly arranged.
Bestway Type VI Pool Filter Cartridges
The Bestway package includes 6 pool filter cartridges that are best compatible with inflatable SaluSpas of the same brand. This cartridge needs to be replaced regularly, but its large quantity has been a helpful feature to support this purpose.
Being a Type VI pool filter cartridge means it can be custom molded by the brand for much better quality than other opponents. It certainly does not require complex acts to use and install so you are able to enjoy the pool and spa throughout the entire season.
- 6 filter cartridges work with inflatable spas.
- This package has a large filter number.
- The Type VI model is molded with quality.
- It is not difficult to use and install at all.
- It releases cottony fuzz through the outlet.
Jacuzzi Proclear Pool Filter Cartridge
It is beautiful to learn that this small Jacuzzi pool filter cartridge can last up to 18 months. It offers a large filtration area of 60-square feet for optimizing this entire process. The twist-off cap of this cartridge works with Proclear Mineral Spa Sanitizer.
Furthermore, the pool filter cartridge is compatible with all of the hot tub models from Jacuzzi J-300 collection from 2002. Obviously, it is not the most inexpensive unit but it is guaranteed to be one of the best since this cartridge holds up well in its service time.
- It is claimed to last up to 18 usage months.
- It provides a large 60 sq ft filtration area.
- It has a twist-off cap for spa compatibility.
- It goes with all 2002+ hot tubs from Jacuzzi.
- The durability & high-quality service in years.
- It might be disconnected from its threading.
How to Choose the Best Pool Filter Cartridges?
Besides basic specifications such as its dimensions or number of filters per package, there are other important factors related to a pool filter cartridge. You should take into account the features below to ensure the cartridge you get is the best one.
You should concentrate on the product parameters and description to find out which existing pool filter models this cartridge adapts to since most cartridges are manufactured to be a replacement element.
Many online shopping websites support users by entering the filter model number to make sure the selected cartridge fits. Each pool filter has its specifications, so a brand new cartridge needs to have the same measurement before being installed.
The support bands are responsible for holding the pleats. These pleats on each pool filter cartridge are clearly defined by the wrapped-around bands and evenly separated to allow higher water flow. Its operation time can be quicker.
If a cartridge includes weak support bands, its pleats will likely collapse and result in a significant reduction of the filter’s usable areas. Low-quality bands can also shorten the filter lifespan and increase backpressure for the entire pool filtration system.
REEMAY is a widely applied material to build pool filter cartridges. The reason behind this is as this spun-bonded polyester is a sheet structure with filament fibers that are randomly arranged, thoroughly dispersed & bonded at the junctions.
The filament polyester fibers that are crimped offers high conformability along with softness and enhanced porosity for this pool filter cartridge. Whereas, the straightly arranged fibers provides a tighter structure that is stiffer with much better assistance.
Trilobal fibers of the REEMAY polyester can deliver better filtration surface area up to 21-40% of efficiency if compared to other competing materials. Furthermore, this trilobal shape grabs particles without the pressure drop penalty, which is less filter cleaning.
How to Replace Pool Filter Cartridges?
In general, it is not difficult to replace most pool filter cartridges available on the market on your own at home. I would like to introduce the simple steps to support you with how to properly replace a damaged pool filter cartridges with a brand new one.
You should have either cut out the old filter or turn off the electricity running to the pump motor in case it turns on all of a sudden. The cartridge should be taken out of the housing to prevent unwanted damages during the process and put its top back on.
It is crucial to determine precisely the water flow through the pool pump and this filter cartridge. Put some silicone into the filter housing threads then use your finger to spin around. Next up is to wrap the plumber’s tape around it in a counterclockwise direction.
On the threaded side of the coupling should be wrapped with tape 7-10 times. You might want to install these threaded couplings on both opening sides of the filter housing. I would recommend using pliers to have it tightened but do not over-tighten.
Subsequently, the housing can be positioned where you prefer. The input and output ports have to be aligned in the proper direction so as the latter one can go to the pool pipe. 6-inch pipe extension from each outlet is ideal for more room on both sides.
The cut pipe section should fit the filter output port and be extended to the pipe that goes to your pool. After cutting it down to size, you should check for the length to see whether it has been a suitable measurement or not and apply cement into the coupling.
Following, line up the filter output pipe with the pool pipe. Use a marker to mark below this pipe and cut it off for it to butt up against the pipe. Make sure the pipe is straight with a corner ruler. A hacksaw blade should cut the underside of the pipe.
Remember to clean both sides of the 90° coupling. After that, I advise getting a file or sandpaper to rub the pipe edges a little bit. You would not want to have these units misaligned after gluing them to each other, so it is best to test the fitting in advance carefully.
The PVC cleaner is an excellent choice to brush the pipe and coupling. When the cleaner has completely dried up, the pipe and the coupling will be cemented together. This is the last step for completing the output connection from this pool filter to the pool pipe.
Then, it is time to connect the pump pipe to where the filter housing intakes water. The pipe section required after cutting is 6-8 inches, then cement it into the threaded coupling that you have already positioned previously. Place this 90° coupling at the end.
The next piece of pipe that needs to be cut should respond to these requirements: when it sits vertically inside the coupling, it has to extend at least 12-15 inches above the motor and set into the coupling. Cement the assembly of this straight intake pipe.
When you go to the pump motor, cut down the existing pipe that extends 4-6 inches from above the fitting. Set up the 90° coupling into this pipe without cement. The next cut pipe section is the one that fits the coupling and extends to the intake pipe filter.
Again, make use of a corner ruler to ensure the top pipe is straight. Mark on the intake pipe and cut it to size. There should be no cement when you put the coupling in. If everything lines up, you can now cement the entire Shebang together.
A couple of hours later, when the cement has settled down, you should open the filter housing and check for any leftover debris or work parts that might fall inside. Lastly, put the filter cartridge back in, turn on the pump, and have it worked on testing for leaks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some frequently asked questions about pool filter cartridges.
Swim Network Overview
If you desire to obtain the most reliable replacement supplies for your home pool, especially a pool filter cartridge, you should check out this article. The best pool filter cartridges are, without a doubt, the ones that I have reviewed here.
For the best overall, I suggest the POOLPURE Replacement Pool Filter Cartridge. While the best-rated unit so far is the Pool Cartridge Replacement for Pentair 520 Filter. Low budget buyers can go for the Pleatco PRB50-IN Spa Pool Filter Cartridge.
It is perfectly fine if you have not found anything here to prioritize when shopping, but I hope the detailed buying guide will help you out.
Also, I would love to know your opinion about this article in the comment section. Sharing it to Facebook and Twitter is an excellent way to spread the word about fine filter cartridges. Thank you for reading.