When you are planning on a summer holiday, getting your hands on a best life jacket for kids should top your checklist. The last thing on your mind is to take a chance with an ordinary swim vest as your little one may be making her/his water debut, so a good life jacket is a good buy.
The history of life jackets are traceable to the inflated bladders, animal hides, and curved gourds by the Norweigan seamen to remain afloat at moments of sea mishaps. From then, life jackets underwent a series of tests and improvements to what we all use today.
Having life jackets for your toddlers is one of the best purchases you will make because they naturally love exploring and without your notice, their little feet may be waving at the waves while you all are sunbathing. Instances like this make it necessary to go with the best life jackets that will ensure little Arnold stays afloat.
Apart from aiding buoyancy, life jackets are also helpful in helping your kids learn how to swim. As they toss the ball in the pool, they gradually become confident around the water. Safety is needful and these recommendations will help you make the best choice.
See Also: 13 Best Swim Parkas
Table of Contents
- Different Types of Life Jackets
- What Is the Safest Life Jacket for a Kid?
- Comparison Chart
- The 17 Best Life Jackets for Kids Reviews
- Stearns Original Puddle Jumper Kids Life Jacket
- Full Throttle Child Water Buddies Life Jacket
- Stohlquist Toddler Life Jacket
- O’Neill Child Reactor USCG Life Jacket
- Mustang Lil’ Legends 100 Child Life Jacket
- Flowt AK-1 Life Jacket
- CWB Connelly Youth Nylon Life Jacket
- TRC Recreation Kids Super Soft USCG Life Jacket
- Stearns Heads-Up Child Life Jacket
- Onyx General Purpose Boating Life Jacket
- Stohlquist Kids Life Jacket
- Speedo Child Personal Life Jacket
- AIRHEAD Wicked Kwik-Dry Neolite Kids Life Jacket
- O’Brien Child Neoprene Life Jacket
- Genwiss Toddler Life Jacket
- Speedo Supersaurus Personal Life Jacket
- Full Throttle Child Hinged Rapid-Dry Flex-Back Life Jacket
- How to Choose the Best Life Jackets for Kids?
- Advantages of Using the Best Life Jacket for Your Kids
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Swim Network Overview
Different Types of Life Jackets
- Type I. These are offshore and ocean kind of life jackets. They are for where the water is rougher, wild and unpredictable. They are usually large, bulky and very effective in keeping the wearers afloat. However, these types are not very fun for children due to their bulky nature.
- Type II. These vests are made for calm water, are less bulky, great for fishing, boating, and other relaxed water situation. This is often mostly recommended for kids because of the comfort it gives.
- Type III. Most toddler jackets are designed after this pattern, they don’t give buoyancy like type 11 but are good for children and suitable for calm water environment where help is immediate.
- Type IV. These are those ring-like devices that float on water, they are usually throw-able balloon that a person holds onto inside the water to prevent him/her from drowning.
- Type V. These are specifically designed for certain water usage not a very child-friendly type though.
What Is the Safest Life Jacket for a Kid?
Without further delay, here is your luck with the best life jackets for kids in 2023.
- Best Overall: Stohlquist Toddler Life Jacket
“Adjustable crotch strap, double collard, large arms for less chafing and sea level buoyancy of 7lbs 60z.”
- Runner Up: Mustang Lil’ Legends 100 Child Life Jacket
“Soft cooling interior garment, large armholes for less chafing, high quality fabric.”
- Best Budget: Stearns Original Puddle Jumper Kids Life Jacket
“Nylon shelled, woven polyester for warmth and less chafing with adjustable straps fit for 30-50lbs.”
- Best Child Life Jacket for 20-30 lbs: CWB Connelly Youth Nylon Life Jacket
“Adjustable straps, elastic fabric, rapid release buckles, hidden belts, nylon vest and grab straps fit for 30lbs.”
- Best Child Life Jacket for 30-50 lbs: Full Throttle Child Water Buddies Life Jacket
“Sturdy, bright colorful, water buddies theme and round back for comfort fit for 30-50lbs.”
- Best Child Life Jacket for 50-90 lbs: TRC Recreation Kids Super Soft USCG Life Jacket
“Vinyl waterproof fabric for maximum comfort, adjustable back slot for prolonged water fun.”
- Best Toddler Life Jacket for Swimming: O’Neill Child Reactor USCG Life Jacket
“Nylon shell, quick-release safety buckles, coast guard approved for 30-50lbs.”
Every child looks forward to making some petite fun strokes after building the sandcastle by the beach shore and a handy life jacket should be wrapped around his/her cute body for safety.
But what is most important is that you get the best and affordable life jackets. Because it is possible to have one, this article here will provide you with the list of trusted life jackets to get for your little one.
|Life Jackets||Material||Size||Recommended Water Activity||USCG Certified|
|Stearns Original Puddle Jumper Kids Life Jacket - Best Budget||Polyester and nylon||30-50lbs||Pool size and beaches.||yes|
|Full Throttle Child Water Buddies Life Jacket - Best Child Life Jacket for 30-50 lbs||Polyester||30-50lbs||Pools, lakes, beaches||no|
|Stohlquist Toddler Life Jacket - Best Overall|
|Nylon||Infant: 0-30lbs, child:30-50lbs||Lakes, beaches||Yes|
|O'Neill Child Reactor USCG Life Jacket - Best Toddler Life Jacket for Swimming||Nylon||30-50lbs||Pools, beaches, lakes||yes|
|Mustang Lil' Legends 100 Child Life Jacket - Runner Up||High quality material, cooling interior panel||30-50lbs||Pools, lakes, beaches||no|
|Flowt AK-1 Life Jacket||High quality||Child: 0-50lbs, youth:50-90lbs||Beaches, pools||yes|
|CWB Connelly Youth Nylon Life Jacket - Best Child Life Jacket for 20-30 lbs||Nylon and elastic fabric||30lbs||Pools, beaches||yes|
|TRC Recreation Kids Super Soft USCG Life Jacket - Best Child Life Jacket for 50-90 lbs||Vinyl, padded foam||50-90lbs||All water situations||no|
|Stearns Heads-Up Child Life Jacket||Polyester, foam and nylon||30-50lbs||Beaches, pools, lakes||no|
|Onyx General Purpose Boating Life Jacket||Polyester, nylon||30-52lbs, 40-60lbs and 90lbs||Lakes, beaches, pools||no|
|Stohlquist Kids Life Jacket||Nylon||Infants: 0-30lbs Child:30-50lbs||Lakes, pools, beaches||Yes|
|Speedo Child Personal Life Jacket||Neoprene, nylon, polyester||30-50lbs||Pools, lakes||no|
|AIRHEAD Wicked Kwik-Dry Neolite Kids Life Jacket||Polyester, padded foam, kwik-dry neolite||30-50lbs||Lakes, beaches, pools||yes|
|O'Brien Child Neoprene Life Jacket||Neoprene||30-50lbs||Pools, lakes||yes|
|Genwiss Toddler Life Jacket||Neoprene, polyester, foam||18 months to 2 years||Pools, lakes, beaches||no|
|Speedo Supersaurus Personal Life Jacket||Nylon||30-50lbs||Beaches, pools, lakes||no|
|Full Throttle Child Hinged Rapid-Dry Flex-Back Life Jacket||Polyester||30-50lbs||Beaches, lakes||no|
The 17 Best Life Jackets for Kids Reviews
Introducing your little one into the water requires a lot of discreetness considering their excitement at trying new stuff and their safety is most important. That is why product description is necessary is to guide you thoroughly through the unique features of these high-quality life jackets so that you can end with a comfortable choice.
You will not only get a description of some of the best life jackets for kids on here, you will also see some of the best youth life jackets that are suitable for teenagers and people who are a bit older. So, read on to find out some of the best products on the market.
Stearns Original Puddle Jumper Kids Life Jacket
This is one of the best life vests with its lovely and child-friendly designs. it’s nylon shell accounts for its comfortable and non-chafing wear inside the water. Your child will finally have a fulfilled day learning how to swim safely with this U.S coast guard approved life jacket made with safety buckle snaps for easy wear and removal.
His/her safety is guaranteed with the adjustable straps as well as a firm hold the whole time. The safety snaps are necessary to ensure he/she does not fiddle off the vest while inside water. With this sturdy design, your 30-50lbs chest-size toddler can have a memorable summer.
- Fit for all public water situations.
- Child-friendly lovely designs.
- Polyester fabric for less-chafing.
- Comfortably made for ease of movement.
- Aids beginners to earn confidence.
- Adjustable straps and firm buckles for added security.
- Keeps the child’s head from above the water.
- May threaten to sink the child in some instances.
- It may feel a little bulky.
- Unimpressive drainage system.
See Also: 19 Best Swimming Goggles for Kids
Full Throttle Child Water Buddies Life Jacket
(Best Child Life Jacket for 30-50 lbs)
This high-quality polyester jacket gives the best comfort a swim vest can give. Along with its colorful animal-themed design your little one will be delighted to own and wear one. The full throttle life jacket is carefully designed with a foamy interior for added warmth and durability inside the water.
For safety, the life jacket comes with double frontal adjustable strap. It also has a grab handle for ease of pulling the child out in the event of a threatening situation. For public usability and maximum protection, the type iii life vest has the certification of the US coastal guard and it fits size 30-50lbs.
- Colorful designs that easily connects with the child.
- It comes with double frontal straps for added firmness.
- Hand washable fabric.
- Has a leg strap to prevent the vest from riding up to the child’s neck.
- Large armholes for non-chafing wear.
- As usual, all type iii life jackets are not ideal in some water activities.
- It does not keep the child’s face above the water.
- It often runs a little small on the body.
You May Like: 21 Best Triathlon Wetsuits
Stohlquist Toddler Life Jacket
(Best Overall – Editor’s Choice)
This type II PFD life jacket is everything beautiful with its child-friendly designs. It has double collars that gently hold your child’s head while they enjoy their time in the water. The large armholes are necessary to prevent the dreaded chafing. The open back is for adequate comfort, ease, and breathability.
The vest has a grab handle that makes it easy to pull out your child in case of an emergency. It also has a frontal zip for stress-free wearing and removal, adjustable crotch straps for comfortable wear and boxed buckles for reliable firmness and protection.
- It comes with a rapid release buckle for easy usage.
- It gives great sea level buoyancy.
- Has a grab handle and adjustable straps for a secured fit.
- Large arm holes for reduced chafing.
- Open back for added comfort inside the water.
- Keeps the child’s head above the water.
- Too bulky.
- The crotch belt may give the child a little discomfort.
- The jacket may not flip the child over and may also keep his/her face down in the water.
See Also: 10 Best Triathlon Swimskins
O’Neill Child Reactor USCG Life Jacket
(Best Toddler Life Jacket for Swimming)
This nylon coated, USCG type III floatation device has been designed to give maximum buoyancy and water confidence to your child. All thanks to its fantastic features like foam padded interior and anatomical flex levels for a warm, soft, snug fit, and free movement.
It comes with rapid release safety buckles, leg straps and a firm zipper system for dependable protection the whole day. For certified security, the vest meets the conditions of the US coastal guard approval, which means you and your little one can enjoy some relaxing swimming sessions when you are on vacation.
- It is lightweight, high-quality material.
- Adjustable straps and safety buckles for durability and protection.
- Foamy interior for a snugly wear.
- Ensures appreciable buoyancy and the child stays faced up.
- Hand washable and dries quickly.
- The leg strap does not permit riding up.
- It is not a type I life jacket and not suitable for offshore water activity.
- The leg strap in between the leg may discomfort the child and often breaks out a rash.
- Some people may find it a little bulky to travel with.
Mustang Lil’ Legends 100 Child Life Jacket
This neoprene made mustang life jacket is renowned for saving kids lives for years all thanks to its cooling channel interior which aids comfortable wear. It saves your child from the possible overheating when he/she stays longer inside the water. It is also designed with shape movement panels for freedom of movement and maximum sea buoyancy.
A finely shaped pillow head is part of this jacket to protect his/her tender head from going under the water. It has adjustable straps for secure hold and sturdiness. The USCG Type 11, 100% US coastal guard approved life jacket is suitable for sizes 30-50lbs and compatible with coastal boating engagements.
- Cooling channeled interior to prevent overheating.
- It comes with adjustable straps and rapid safety buckles.
- It allows the child to develop water confidence quickly.
- Has pillow head for head support and protection inside the water.
- Gives adequate water buoyancy.
- Very sturdy, lightweight and non-chafe.
- This jacket comes in three sizes, the infant, child, and the youth.
- The crotch strap is not available in all sizes.
Flowt AK-1 Life Jacket
Designed to give minimum buoyancy at distressed situations by keeping an unconscious person afloat. Flowt AK-1 life jacket takes the swimming need of all into consideration with this vinyl fabric life jacket suitable for sizes 0-50 and 50-90lbs.
For security, the vest comes with adjustable straps that enhance its sturdiness and comfort in the water. It also helps your little one gain maximum confidence around the water earlier than you expected.
- Minimum buoyancy, that is necessary for rescue operations.
- Nice quality and perfect for boating and paddle-boarding.
- They come in bright colors.
- Soft and comfortable wear.
- It also dries faster.
- The strap may give some discomfort around the waist.
- The neck also may feel rather small and hurts the neck especially, when they stay longer in the water.
- The crotch strap often feels big too.
CWB Connelly Youth Nylon Life Jacket
(Best Child Life Jacket for 20-30 lbs)
CWB life jacket comes with a complete package for youth water exuberances, as seen in its three hidden belts for maximum mobility and confidence around the water. It has a perfect and easy rapid release buckles for stress-free wearing and removal. It also has adjustable straps to take care of chest size 26-26 inches and weight 50-90lbs.
It has colorful designs, necessary for water/swim aids and the nylon fabric makes it quick to dry. The armholes are designed largely to keep the arms free from chafing.
- It comes with three hidden belts to maintain a durable and comfortable fit every time.
- It has adjustable straps and release buckles for easy wear and removal.
- Protects the child and gives confidence.
- Has head-pillow for head support and buoyancy.
- It also has the crotch straps for durable hold and comfort.
- The size may be small on certain body frame.
- Some of these jackets may have holes in the bottom which may affect its performance.
- The vest tends to collect water and fill itself up quickly, making it poor in drainage.
TRC Recreation Kids Super Soft USCG Life Jacket
(Best Child Life Jacket for 50-90 lbs)
For lovers of vinyl comfort, here is an adorable colorful swim safety companion that kids will love. It has a frontal kwik-snap that makes a clasping sound when it lock and open. For water recreation, having a life jacket with an adjustable back slot for a perfect hold and the leg strap is one of the best safety swimming wardrobe desire to have.
It has padded foam interior to provide the wearer with warmth and comfort, it is light weight and great for prolonged water activities. For buoyancy guarantee, this vest’s responsibility is to keep the child afloat thereby allowing him/her to develop confidence around the water.
- Has frontal kwik-snap clasps for easy removal.
- It has an adjustable back slot and a leg strap for a firm hold.
- Foam padded interior for warmth and snugly fit.
- Maximum buoyancy.
- Doesn’t absorb water.
- It has a smooth surface and doesn’t rub against the skin.
- Doesn’t have a crotch strap.
- May ride up.
- May grow small on some children.
Stearns Heads-Up Child Life Jacket
Your kids can finally enjoy a safe swimming adventure with this type II bright-colored, nylon shell and polyester life jacket. Stearns heads up promises maximum buoyancy as it prides itself with the “heads up” classification and the extra pillow-like contour around its neck to support the neck and the head.
In giving comfort, its hydroprene covered crotch strap provides a steady and fit hold all the time.
The product is also designed with a reflective material that helps to keep the attention of everyone on the child. It also comes with a grab handle for easy removal of the child from the pool. For proper safety, the vest has with it a 3-in-1 wide webbed strap to ensure a sturdy hold always.
- The product has reflective material for easy spotting of the child inside the water.
- It comes with a crotch strap, 3-in-1 webbed straps, and a grab handle.
- It provides impressive buoyancy.
- Very durable and lightweight.
- It has a pillow-like foam around its neck.
- It keeps the child on the back.
- Comes in bright colors.
- The product may run a bit small on your child’s body.
- The sizes may not be accurate with the actual body size.
- The neck hole is a bit small and may get tight on the child while onshore.
- It is not expandable too.
Onyx General Purpose Boating Life Jacket
The affordably priced onyx gives more than affordability as seen in the provision of rapid release buckles and a belt for a firm hold always. Its coastal guard certification makes it acceptable in public water spots.
For protection, the jacket comes with adjustable belts and firm chest straps to ensure a perfect hold and to prevent the vest from riding up.
In ensuring comfort, the lightweight floatation device is padded with foam and provides an opening by the side for ease of movement. Chafing is not also possible because of its large armholes together with its bright colors for visibility in the water. The jacket covers different chest sizes like 30-52lbs, 40-60lbs and 90lbs.
- Has large armholes to reduce chafing.
- The product comes with adjustable belts and chest straps to stop the vest from riding up.
- rapid release buckles for form holds and easy removal.
- Covers variety of sizes, fit for the whole family.
- It has bright colors to enhance visibility inside the water.
- Some people may find it riding up.
- Some may also find it too basic.
Stohlquist Kids Life Jacket
Beautiful colorful design, just what a child will love and more because of its soft and snug-hold life jacket. This type III PFD vest is discreetly designed with rapid release buckles to ensure easy wear and removal. The crotch strap gives enough security and durability.
For sea buoyancy, here is another vest to trust, it also has a grab handle to help in pulling out the child from the water.
For a formal guarantee, the product has the USCG and the transport Canada certification. Stohlquist life jacket has the frontal zipper system which enhances easy use. It also has a dual neck support collar to keep the child’s face up.
- Lovely designs that appeal to the liking of a child.
- Very soft and comfortable wear.
- It comes with quick safety buckle and adjustable crotch snaps.
- Aids buoyancy and confidence greatly.
- It has a frontal zippered and buckle system for easy wear and removal.
- Leg strap to prevent it from riding up.
- May flip over and push the child’s face down.
- The front zip may chafe the child.
Speedo Child Personal Life Jacket
This 100% neoprene anti-microbial colorful life jacket seeks to give your little one a balanced performance, flexibility, and confidence in all water activity. Giving him/her a wonderful water experience with its durable neck pillow rest for superior head/neck support and to keep afloat all the time.
For best protection, this US coastal guard approved life jacket is specifically designed with nylon shell and polyester lining to ensure the wearer experiences awesome comfort with the vest.
It also provides safety with its adjustable leg and chest straps, so that the vest does not ride up on to your child’s neck while in water. What’s more? these beautiful child-friendly designed life jackets sit perfectly on kids with weight fitness of 30-50lbs and chest inches of 20”-25″.
- It comes with the US coastal guard certification.
- It is acceptable on public water recreational spots.
- Give the child confidence and flexibility in the water.
- It is made with 100% neoprene.
- It has adjustable leg straps and chest straps for a secure hold while swimming and to prevent it from riding up.
- It is soft and comfortable on the child’s petite body.
- Ensure great buoyancy.
- Dries quickly after each wash.
- Some find it affordable.
- Some people may find it too basic and regular.
- The thickness of the vest casually passes it off as a bulky bunch.
- The leg strap may cause a little discomfort while the child is swimming and may even create irritation.
- The vest gets easily filled with water and may threaten to drown the child.
AIRHEAD Wicked Kwik-Dry Neolite Kids Life Jacket
This neolite-kwik dry design promises safety around the water with its adjustable body and crotch straps, sturdy zipper closure for a safe and secure fit always. For all-round safety and acceptability, the lightweight kid’s life jacket has the US coastal approval as a type III life vest because your kid’s safety in the water is important.
The NeoLite vest comes with wide armholes for less chafing, comfort, and mobility. It also has the rapid release buckles for easy use and to protect your child from removing it without your notice. A great life vest for watersports, boating, and other water recreations.
- Frontal zippered and safety buckles for protection.
- Wide armholes for reduced chafing.
- It is light weight and dries quickly.
- The soft and warm interior keeps the wearer comfortable always.
- It also comes with adjustable straps to ensure a perfect fit.
- The vest comes in colorful designs to appeal to kids and for visibility inside the water.
- The crotch straps prevent it from riding up.
- It often grows a tad small on the body and may not fit tiny babies.
- It doesn’t have a neck/head support and may not flip the head above the water.
- It may float up to the child’s chin, thanks to its thickness.
O’Brien Child Neoprene Life Jacket
O’Brien child life vest gives your little ones the most comforting water recreational experience ever with this lightweight neoprene breathable swim life jackets. Gaining water confidence will be at a snap of a finger all thanks to the adjustable waist belts to give maximum comfort, leg straps to prevent it from riding and to give a secure hold too.
For added security, the vest has neat zippered closure for easy donning and doffing and a grab handle for quick and easy removal of the child from water. The type III US coastal guard certified personal floatation device comes with wide armholes to prevent chafing and any kind of skin irritation. it also sits perfectly on weight sizes 30-50lbs.
- Wide armholes to minimize chafing.
- Lightweight and dries quickly.
- It comes with adjustable waist belts, leg straps to give a sturdy hold and to prevent it from riding up.
- Has a zippered frontal for easy removal and entry, it also makes it difficult for the child to remove without your notice.
- It comes with a grab handle for accessibility and bright colors.
- Gives comfort, confidence and flexibility inside the water.
- It comes with BioLite outer layer for a snug fit.
- It can be a bit small on some child’s body frame.
- The torso area is also impossible to adjust.
- The crotch strap gets a little too long and may require your tuck-in efforts to have any comfort around there.
Genwiss Toddler Life Jacket
When you are looking for a safety life vest to trust your little darlings with during their swimming lessons, Genwiss toddler vest is best for that. It is made of neoprene and it is padded with foam. It comes with a full zippered closure designed to aid easy entry and removal, and also to stop those little fingers from removing when mum/dad is not looking.
The vest is made with the finest polyester fabric to give your little one a warm and comfortable wear always, as well as guide them to water confidence with great buoyancy in the water. They can finally work the strokes safely with excitement and your guidance.
- It comes with a firm and full zippered closure for easy entry and usage.
- It is light weight and dries quickly.
- Fits snugly and your little one will love wearing it.
- Comes with a crotch strap to prevent it from riding up.
- Loose arm holes so, no chafing episodes.
- Bright and warm colors they have.
- Not bulky.
- The material often overstretches and rubs on the arms.
- The back vest often floats up, on the body.
Speedo Supersaurus Personal Life Jacket
This dyno-collar life jacket will certainly capture the hearts of your little ones as they finally get to meet their fantasies and play with their water buddies safely too. More than the child-friendly design of the vest, your child will develop a lot of confidence around the water as the collar enhances buoyancy, keeps their head above the water and the soft foamy material keeps them comfy the whole time.
For protection, speedo supersaurus personal floatation device with its Red Cross certification comes with side straps to ensure a comfortable hold, a well-padded leg strap to add to the snug fitness of the vest and to also stop the vest from riding up. This US coastal guard approved type III vest sits perfectly on weight size 30-50lbs.
- It has the Red Cross and the US coastal guard approval.
- Comes with a dyno collar to keep the head afloat.
- It has adjustable side straps for a tailored fit and a leg strap to stop the vest from riding up.
- It also comes in child-friendly designs and bright colors for easy spotting onshore.
- The zipper makes it easy for the child to get off the vest.
- It is difficult to remove when the vest gets in contact with sand.
- it is not suitable for amateur swimmers.
Full Throttle Child Hinged Rapid-Dry Flex-Back Life Jacket
This product is colorful and has a kids-themed designs. It has a flex back insert to provide appreciable flexibility that will rid your child of all water phobia. This is seen in its provision of firm leg straps to keep the vest in place and prevent it from riding up. There is a grab strap for easy removal of the child at the end of the swim exercise or in case of an emergency situation.
This vest is a type III personal floatation device has the US coastal guard certification. It has five jointed hinge points for buoyancy, a stretchable flexible back for an everyday custom fit, a fine span interior that ensures good drainage and gives incredible comfort.
- It is lightweight and dries quickly.
- It has a leg strap for durability and to stop the vest from riding up and also a grab strap for accessibility.
- Has a stretchable flexible back for added comfort.
- It comes with five linked points for great water exuberance and confidence.
- It is made of breathable material.
- It’s a snug fit but may get a little tight.
- Does not have enough head support like most vest.
- Absorbs water easily and may threaten a drowning situation.
How to Choose the Best Life Jackets for Kids?
When shopping for a best life jacket for your kids, there are certain considerations you will need to put in mind. Below are some of the hacks to use in getting yourself and your children that desired satisfaction.
Be Exact on the Weight Concerns
When you go through buyer’s reviews on some platforms, you will immediately discover that some of the bad reviews come from a weight fault. Not going for the exact weight of your child as compared with the product will end up in dissatisfaction. So, be certain on the weight and go for the same weight on the product.
Get Products with Formal Safety Certifications
The US coastal guard approval, The USCG, The Red Cross, and all those standard safety requirements are necessary because it means that the swim vest has met necessary conditions for safety around the water.
It also feels good knowing you have a quality life jacket and most jacket producers ensure that their product goes through the USCG standard test for certification. Because your child’s safety is paramount, before buying any jacket take care to check the labels for this information.
Colorful Is Important
As earlier discussed, apart from standard certifications, the color of the life vest you get is important for visibility. In times of impending disasters, bright colorful designs get immediate attention and rescue. Remember, yellow, orange, red, lilac and others are the colors to get and never black or gray.
Apart from the visibility benefits of bright colors for life jackets, children naturally connect well with bright and lively colors, wouldn’t you want Kimberly to be thrilled when she sees her new swim jacket? In addition to the animation-themes that will appeal to them.
if you don’t want to deal with rejection at home stick with the lively designs and bright-colored life jackets and your child’s water phobia will vanish before their first entry into the pool.
A Grab Strap Is Needful
Grab handles are loops found behind the jacket of most swim vests and it serves as one of the immediate rescue tools you will find useful in times of emergency.
Other than a safety aid, the grab handle also doubles as a swimming aid for your child especially, when they are learning how to swim. It serves as a handle that you hold while carefully guiding the child through the water.
For older children, this may not be necessary as they are trained swimmers and usually don’t need further assistance but as a rule for toddlers, don’t purchase a life jacket without a grab handle.
Proper and Comfortable Protection
Other than the grab handle, other safety features like the crotch straps, snap buckles can be unsafe when they are not adjustable enough.
The jacket has to fit properly on the child, the snaps and the adjustable straps all have to be firm and secure on the child for their usefulness to be expressed on the child’s body.
When getting a jacket be careful to test it on the child to see how free and convenient, they are in them before going into the water.
Be Certain on the Float Offerings
Life jackets come in different sizes and different buoyancy or floatation levels and these are one of the things to confirm when you have found they have the protection aids before buying. Why is this necessary? Because of the different body sizes of the end-wearers, meaning you have to get the jacket with the buoyancy level that is compatible with your child’s body size.
As some children are slimmer or chubbier than some and most of the negative reviews about a child’s near-drowning situation with a life jacket on is likely to be a case of a non-compatible floating level with the child.
A float test in the calm shallow waters of a pool is important and when you are performing this test, it’s also necessary to note that the type II vest results are best when tested in deep waters. What usually happens is that the jacket lays the child in the back with the head above the water and it does not ride up too.
While the type III life vest does not lay the child on the back as the type 11 but will keep him afloat and the head out of the water. These are the necessary concerns to confirm before settling for that life jacket.
Look out for the Head Protection
Children are delicate and every accessory they use should protect most of their vital body part especially in a risky environment like water. For this reason, most swim vests or life jackets often come attached with head protection for maximum head and neck support while learning how to make water strokes.
For head safety, the various types of life jackets offer different levels of head protection. Type I usually comes with little provision for this, type II gives more head support but may limit mobility as such, it is usually kept for emergencies. Type III does not provide any head shield but it ensures maximum buoyancy and your child will remain afloat in them.
How Quickly Do They Get Dried?
One of the things you will find helpful is how fast the jacket dries after usage. While it is normal for the jacket to absorb lots of water, it is beneficial if it dries quickly. This is important so as not to leave room for mildew or molds to grow and create allergies for the child. So, when buying a life jacket, getting one with the qualities of quick-drying will give you and your child lots of benefits.
Advantages of Using the Best Life Jacket for Your Kids
Having a life jacket is one of the safest purchases a parent can do in a lifetime especially when the family loves pool time or loves to go on vacation during summer. In case you are pondering on why you need to get a life jacket in the first place, here are some of the gains of getting a life jacket for your kid.
To Prevent Drowning
Nobody has ever forecasted a drowning mishap even when the weather forecast promised calmness around the atmosphere. However, when taking your toddler through some water recreational, whether at home or the beach be sure to clad her tiny chest with a life jacket. As safety is a beautiful and brilliant swimming practice.
You know that drowning is one of the major causes of death around the world often caused by such neglect so, try to be consistent in the good swimming attitude of getting your little one(s) the best life jackets that will make swimming exciting and safe.
Even Older Kids Need Too
No one ever outgrows precautionary needs, do they? Look at this scenario, you and your youth are off to water skiing without a life jacket and suddenly a big wave swells up above your heads, yeez! Scary isn’t it? But it also shows up, meaning wearing a life vest for all recreational activities Is a necessary lifestyle.
It Helps When the Child Gets Fatigued
Over-staying in the water can result in the child getting tired and fatigued, the job of the life vest at that moment is to prevent the child from drowning. Even if they slip to unconsciousness, the jacket will flip them faced-up and afloat till immediate help arrives.
It Enhances Visibility
Have you noticed how most of the recommended life jackets here pride themselves for being colorful? Did you think the colorfulness was only to attract the love of the kids? No, the colorfulness was designed to attract and retain the attention of the parents or the people with the child.
Is it possible to spot a dark-colored vest inside the water? The answer will be “no” because the dark or dull color will blend in with the water and your eye will naturally wander away from it because it does not appeal. That is why swim vest manufacturers emphasize on bright colored jackets for prompt and sustained visibility, colors like yellow, orange, pink, etc. will help you spot your child swiftly in the event of a pending mishap.
Aids in Buoyancy
This has been seen many times in this article and it concerns the foamy part of the material that is designed to keep it sturdy and your child afloat. it works against the water to keeps the child’s head above it while instilling confidence.
It Gives Maximum Protection
Getting a life jacket that has important certifications is necessary for adequate safety. As well as the inclusion of the adjustable straps, the crotch straps, the quick-release buckles and other features on a swim jacket, as they all help to ensure adequate safety in the water.
The Head Is Protected Too
You will find out in this article that some jacket brands come with headrest to support the head and keep it above the water with their backs against the water, an ideal design for infants and toddlers. This protection is only made possible by life jackets.
With a life jacket, your child’s life is not only preserved onshore but they get familiar and confident around the water, and also enjoy fun-filled moments every swimming day. It is important to note that children can get a rash from a life jacket, this is why it is important to get a non-toxic life jacket to prevent skin problems.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Swim Network Overview
Having a life jacket will always be a beautiful safety practice for your child’s swimming classes. I assume you are aware of the importance of water safety considering the numerous reports of mishaps when no one is looking.
I highly recommend the Stohlquist toddler life jacket as the one of the best life jackets you can get for your kids. It has all the necessary properties to ensure your kid’s safety in water. Also, the Mustang Lil’ Legends 100 Child Life Jacket is another amazing product that will provide the maximum protection and benefits for your child’s swimming adventure.
Does your kid own a life jacket or have you recently tried one out? tell us about your experience in the comment section below. Also, don’t forget to share this article on your social media pages.