Best triathlon swimskins are one of the numerous needs in the mind of triathletes or anyone that needs additional comfort, support, and freedom when planning to take down the tides during vacation. A quick search on google will hand you many options but if you are willing to take the chance, you will be satisfied when you have digested what this page prepared for you.
Triathlon itself found its way into the sports world in the early 20th century in France and became popular around 1975 and from then, it remained a very attractive recreational with championship status in the Olympic and other mainstream tournaments. Different swimwears have been in demand and swimskins are recommended among triathletes.
Though swimskins are relatively new in the world of triathlon, they are loved for their thin-feel and snug fit suitable for swim legs and they are designed to improve speed inside the water. For competitions, swimskins will help keep your bodyline especially as a newbie in the sports. It can help beginners defeat the tempting wiggle and snake strides that beginner swimmers are synonymous with.
For triathletes, your chance of sustaining maximum buoyancy and chasing the attractive speed in any competition is when your body has one of the best triathlons on, not forgetting a good swim watch to make it perfect . Most important is the fatigue hindrance it enables if you ever fear the chances of getting exhausted while swimming you have the right to discard such phobia. Because swimskins will never let you down.
Table of Contents
- What Is a Triathlon Swimskin (Speed Suit)?
- Tri-suits vs Swimskins vs Wetsuits
- What Is the Best Swimskin for Triathletes?
- Comparison of Top 10 Best Triathlon Swimskins 2021
- Reviews of the Best Triathlon Swimskins
- HUUB Design Men’s Triathlon Swimskin
- ROKA Men’s Viper Elite Swimskin for Triathlon
- TYR Men’s Torque Lite Triathlon Swimskin
- TYR Sport Men’s Torque Elite Swimskin for Triathlon
- TYR Torque Pro Triathlon Swimskin
- Aqua Sphere Energize Women Triathlon Swimskin
- Blueseventy PZ4TX+ Triathlon Short Sleeve Swimskin
- ROKA Men’s Viper X Triathlon Swimskin
- ROKA Men’s Viper Pro Swimskin for Triathlon
- Synergy Men’s SynSkin Triathlon Swimskin
- Finding the Best Triathlon Swimskins
- How to Wear a Swimskin?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Swim Network Overview
What Is a Triathlon Swimskin (Speed Suit)?
Swimskins are the latest addition to the triathlon events and they are often worn over the tri-suit when the event is not wetsuit legal and you have the water levels surging above 78 degrees.
They are usually firm and tightly fitted on the body to enable compression and help with transition, it may not give buoyancy like the wetsuit but it minimizes friction and drag successfully. What’s more? a swimskin is a better alternative to your bulky swim wears always as it hugs gently on your body while aiding you through the waves.
Swimskins are made with hydrophobic materials especially the surface coating to resist water and minimize drag, ensuring you have a smooth swimming performance all the time.
You May Like: 17 Best Life Jackets for Kids
Tri-suits vs Swimskins vs Wetsuits
Trisuit, swimskin and wetsuit are all used for the same purpose; swimming. However, there are some differences in terms of usage and function. I will address more of it below.
This garment is often worn by triathletes for the three events of swimming, biking, and long distance race on race event days. Once it is worn, it is not to be taken off till the three event is over as the break between the different events are usually short and does not demand a change of outfit in any case.
Tri-suits are mostly sleeveless as compared with some wetsuits, the sleeves allow for more natural performance. The thin pad in-between the legs dries quickly the moment you get out of the water and you can hop on the bike free from discomfort.
So, instead of switching or changing into a wetsuit or a swimskin before swimming, your tri-suit accommodates all three events comfortably. Tri-suits are very helpful for training, you can run, jog and also swim finely in them.
Tri-suits are the most versatile of all swim wears because it accepts any kind of water and atmospheric temperature, both the warm temperature and the cold water.
Swimskin have formed the major discussion here but you may have probably heard it used interchangeably with wetsuit and it got you a little confused, here is what it really is. A swimskin is swim wear worn over a tri-suit. It is worn to improve hydrodynamic, what happens when drag is defeated and friction reduced all because if the smooth and water-resistant surface of the garment.
Swimskins are thinner than wetsuits and are usually used during warm water temperature and fits in well for tournament where wetsuits are not allowed. For buoyancy and warmth, swimskins offer little assistance in here as compared to the wetsuits.
The zipper panels or closures are often located around the rear to prevent drag and they are faster too.
Wetsuits are specifically designed for colder water temperatures of the lakes, and beaches, and they are made with neoprene fabrics and encourages buoyancy and speed inside the water. They help you triathletes swim faster and more comfortably defeating the drag, it helps swimmers swim longer even inside the coldest water temperature without feeling cold. This is true because wetsuits are made with high-tech superior material that gives warmth all the time.
The neoprene material in wetsuits helps with easy transition and you can also get freely out of the easily and hop on your bike for the next activity. They are great for beginner swimmers as it helps them remain afloat better than the swimskins that only gives little buoyancy and not best for newbies.
See Also: 19 Best Toddler Swim Vests
What Is the Best Swimskin for Triathletes?
For your best triathlon swimskins, here is your first-hand glance…
- Best Overall: HUUB Design Men’s Triathlon Swimskin“Polyamide micro, beautiful Italian material, with skin panels to support spine and resist drag.”
- Runner Up: ROKA Men’s Viper Elite Swimskin for Triathlon“Italian neat textile, hydrophobic Teflon material, YKK zipper technology, thermos bonded with tape construction to defeat drag.”
- Best Budget: TYR Men’s Torque Lite Triathlon Swimskin“80% nylon,20% Lycra spandex, hydrophobic material, with premium coil back zipper system.”
- Best for Beginners: TYR Sport Men’s Torque Elite Swimskin for Triathlon“Hydrophilic surface layer, 70% nylon and 30% spandex, bonded seams with super zipper coil for drag resistance.”
- Best for Women: Aqua Sphere Energize Women Triathlon Swimskin“Sleek silicone leg grips, streamlines body to resist drag, with dynamix compression textile for a contoured fit.”
- Fastest Swimskin: ROKA Men’s Viper X Triathlon Swimskin“Arm-up system for freedom, hydrophobic Teflon coating for fluid resistance, YKK super zipper technology.”
- Best for Veteran Triathletes: ROKA Men’s Viper Pro Swimskin for Triathlon“Italian stretch material, YKK semi-auto lock zipper system and hydrophobic Teflon surface coating for water and drag resistant.”
Comparison of Top 10 Best Triathlon Swimskins 2021
Entering a tournament or planning on a surfing will never be impossible and unpredictable anymore, the minute you have one of these dependable swimskins. If you didn’t know, be assured that your wishes of combating the waves without reservations and frustrations with the drag days are finally over.
Additionally, the comparison table will furnish you with all the swift details you will like to have at your fingertips when choosing a swimskin. That is because your water needs are different from another triathlete, so getting one that meets your challenge is satisfaction and nothing less. So, here is your smart search…
|Triathlon Swimskins||Material||Size||Color||Type||USAT & FINA Approved|
|HUUB Design Men's Triathlon Swimskin - Best Overall|
|Polyamide micro and knitted elastane||L||Black and red||Short sleeves||Yes|
|ROKA Men's Viper Elite Swimskin for Triathlon - Runner Up||Hydrophobic materials and Italian fabrics||XS, ST, S, MT, M, LT, L, XL, XXL||Black||Short sleeves||Yes|
|TYR Men's Torque Lite Triathlon Swimskin - Best Budget||Nylon, Lycra spandex||S, M, XL||Black||Short sleeves||Yes|
|TYR Sport Men's Torque Elite Swimskin for Triathlon - Best for Beginners||Nylon and spandex||XS, S, SL||Black||Short sleeves||Yes|
|TYR Torque Pro Triathlon Swimskin||Polyester and spandex||XS, S, M, L, XL||Black||Short sleeves||Yes|
|Aqua Sphere Energize Women Triathlon Swimskin - Best for Women||Hydrophobic materials||S||Black and pink||Short sleeves||Yes|
|Blueseventy PZ4TX+ Triathlon Short Sleeve Swimskin||Hydrophobic materials and Italian fabrics||M, L, XL, ML||Black||Short sleeves||Yes|
|ROKA Men's Viper X Triathlon Swimskin - Fastest Swimskin||Italian stretch woven material, kinetic knitted textile, silicon.||XS, S, ST, M, MT, XXL, XL, L, LT||Black||Short sleeves||Yes|
|ROKA Men's Viper Pro Swimskin for Triathlon - Best for Veteran Triathletes||Hydrophobic materials and Italian fabrics||XS, ST, S, MT, M, LT, L, XL, XXL,||Black||Short sleeves||Yes|
|Synergy Men's SynSkin Triathlon Swimskin||Latest Hydrophobic materials||M, L, XL, XXL||Black||Short sleeves||Yes|
Reviews of the Best Triathlon Swimskins
Having a brief glimpse of the best triathlon swimskins to get is very helpful at least, you can begin to condition your mind on your likely choice but deep inside your heart, you wish you could see a detailed description of each of the suggested swimskins right? It is alright to feel that way because your wishes are completely handled here.
So, at the end of the day, you will make a satisfactory preference and stay impressed because nothing sucks like buying a product that fails to meet your taste and your needs. And you can trust that is never happening again, not after you have perused the whole information here.
HUUB Design Men’s Triathlon Swimskin
(Best Overall – Editor’s Choice)
HUUB men’s triathlon swimskin promises maximum performance with its Italian fabric superior design that discourages chafe, a design that fixes the body frame to minimize drag and friction. Its polyamide micro and elastane ensures a stretchy, smooth and costume fit, with its swim panels strategically fixed to support the spine and the X-O skeleton form of the wear.
For buoyancy, this USAT and FINA approved swimskin evenly spreads the body to alter the buoyancy concentration at the center for a better and comfortable experience. The material of the swimskin are also helpful in resisting water and friction. it also comes with a zipper system.
- It discourages drag and chafe
- It gives a smooth and comfort fit
- It comes with strategically swim panels for the X-O skeleton design of the swimskin
- It resists water and helps in smooth transition
- It comes with a zipper system
- The zipper may give a little difficulty in using
- It may grow small and give a tight fit
See Also: 19 Best Waterproof Fitness Trackers
ROKA Men’s Viper Elite Swimskin for Triathlon
Having the best of Italian knit material to give exceptional compression and boost triathletes speed while the hydrophobic Teflon surface coating of the suit repels water, so that swimmers can have liberty and a satisfying performance every time. The thermo-bond along with the taped sleeves is made to discourage chafing and drag.
For ease of entrance and removal, the premium YKK zipper system with ultralight lanyard forms the closure of the swimskin. More comfort is made possible with its open leg design too. For Roka Men’s viper elite swimskin, aligning the body with gentle firmness to every stroke is part of the concerns of this product and it is also USAT approved so, you are free to attend the next tournament.
- It is made with the best Italian knitted fabrics
- It has bonded sleeves for reduced drag
- It comes with the YKK zipper system for ease of wear and removal
- It is USAT approved
- It resists water and chafe
- The zipper panel may act a little difficult requiring an assistance sometimes
TYR Men’s Torque Lite Triathlon Swimskin
TYR men’s torque lite triathlon swimskin is all concern about comfort and speed inside the water. Its nylon and spandex promises so much compression, warmth and comfort as it stretches firmly around your body giving you a custom-fit always. It also encourages durability and flexibility, making sure you fulfill your swimming needs without burning your wallet all thanks to its affordability.
For an unhindered water aerobics, the wear comes with a coil zippered panel to hinder drag and to allow easy and fast transition. The swimskin gives so much durability and holds firmly on the body, it also comes with printed silicone leg grips too while giving you the most amazing performance ever.
- It comes a sturdy coil zipper panel for easy wear and removal
- It stretches well and encourages flexibility
- It has a fair and an affordable price
- It gives compression and helps in speed
- The material allows for easy transition inside the water
- It supports buoyancy mildly and comfort
- It has the silicone leg grippers
- It does not have the sun protection
- It damages quite early
- The lanyard may also leave some ugly prints on your skin
See Also: 17 Best Rash Guards
TYR Sport Men’s Torque Elite Swimskin for Triathlon
(Best for Beginners)
What this nylon and spandex material designed swimskin has is a wrap of superior comfort from its hydrophobic inner that ensures warmth, light feel and ease along. And its hydrophilic surface layer that repels water and aids in the water gliding. The bonded seams are there to frustrate the drag along with the sturdy coil zippered technology.
The TYR sports men swimskins promises to keep your swim suit in place while helping you access buoyancy, and for that it comes with the silicone beaded leg grip. It is also USAT approved and a perfect choice for beginners.
- It gives a perfect fit
- It is lightweight and repels water
- Aids buoyancy, though a little
- It has bonded seams that defeats those drag and chafe
- The swimskin also has silicone beaded leg for the legs
- It may fit a little too tight
- For some skin, the lanyard may leave some mark there
TYR Torque Pro Triathlon Swimskin
All a triathlete needs as he/she glides into the water is a swimming wear that sits firmly on the body while enhancing buoyancy and this black premium design TYR Torque triathlon swimskin is all shades of speed inside the water with its super thick hydrophobic material. Other than speed, the wearer will enjoy the low drag system that gives freedom of movement.
It also comes with a swift hydrophilic surface layer that does not retain water rather, it cooperates with the water and helps in swimming. TYR Swimskin gives a sturdy hold and has the USAT and FINA certification and comes with a coil zipper system.
- It allows freedom inside the water and suitable for beginners
- It has the lowest drag design and reduces drag
- It is made with spandex and polyester for a light and stretchy feel
- It has the coil zipper system
- It does not absorb water and improves flexibility
- It has the USAT certification
- It fits perfectly over any tri-suit
- It is lightweight and helps in smooth transition inside the water
- It may run a little small on the body
- It gives little buoyancy as comparatively
- The lanyard may leave behind ugly marks or mild irritations on your body
Aqua Sphere Energize Women Triathlon Swimskin
(Best for Women)
Are you looking for something to wear over your tri-kit that will not shade your comfort, here is a bundle of compression for your fore muscles and the conserving energy by giving your body the fitting that will help in smooth and free transition? The discreetly positioned shaped panels are kept in agreement with the Dynamix suited material to secure the muscles from vibrating.
For ease of entry and drag defeat, the swimskin is designed with a long back zippered system and a leash, this provision also aids flexibility and encourages buoyancy. For maximum hold and stability, the product comes with a snug-fit silicone leg hold that protects it from riding up.
- It does not allow drag
- It streamlines the body to aid a smooth transition in the water
- It has a zipper panel and a leach at the back
- It can be worn perfectly over a tri-kit
- It also has a silicone leg hold that hinders riding-up
- It aids transition and flexibility
- It may grow small
- It may fit a little tight
Blueseventy PZ4TX+ Triathlon Short Sleeve Swimskin
For fans of comfort, compression and stability inside the water, you can take a look at this combination of best hydrophobic materials with neatly metalized seams to frustrate drag.
Still on low drag chances, the swim wear comes with finely sealed edges to minimize chafing and encourage smooth glide in the water. The zipper system has the premium YKK auto-lock system for you to count on for a secured hold and a faster movement always.
The lightweight swimskin gives great stretchiness and elasticity with flexibility from the shorts sleeves design, along with comfort inside the water. It also has stretchy materials on its side panels and a thicker material around the thighs that adds to durability and great performance.
The fusing together of these superior materials has been successful in water resistance, improvement in performance and ease of movement. What more could anyone ask for…
- It comes with the advanced YKK zipper technology to combat drag and aid flexibility
- It supports transition and gives comfort
- It discourages chafe due to its bonded and finely sealed sleeve edges
- It is made with the best hydrophobic material combination
- It does not absorb water and enhances speed
- It is lightweight and helps in transition
- It gives a tight fitting which some may find uncomfortable
- The zipper system tends to break or gets damage easily
ROKA Men’s Viper X Triathlon Swimskin
Roka swim wears are known for some exceptionally attributes like the revolutionary arm structure that is designed to assist in freedom of movement while doubling-up in your speed and buoyancy.
Apart from the arm high-tech pattern, the swimskin also introduces another astounding feature in its patent-pending IXI taping to link the key body parts of the arms and the lower body for a rhythmic and efficient performance.
Its hydrophobic Teflon surface coating is specifically made to defeat drag and water absorption while the advanced YKK semi-auto lock breakaway coil helps in the easy removal and wear of the suit.
For maximum comfort around the legs, the leg grippers are made with printed silicone to prevent sausage leg and for freedom in movement.
- It comes with arm technology that aids easy transition and movement
- It is durable and discourages the chafe
- It is resist drag and repels water
- Its breakaway coil allows for easy wearing and removal
- It comes with printed silicone grippers for the leg
- It is USAT approved
- It gives compression and helps in speed
- The fit might be a problem for people with larger upper body
ROKA Men’s Viper Pro Swimskin for Triathlon
(Best for Veteran Triathletes)
Freedom in movement is one of the most desired need in swimming and the ROKA Men’s viper swimskin’s arm feature does not only give uniqueness but removes every hindrance that your previous swimskins may have failed to clear and also doubles your speed, the way you have always wanted.
The patent-pending IXI taping brings the basic body parts into agreement for a stable and flexible gliding. With its hydrophobic Teflon surface coating, water absorption, retention and the annoying drag does not meet the challenge. If you are worried about ease in wearing and removal, you can thank its YKK semi-auto lock coiled zippered system for it.
Inside the leg grip is the silicone designed leg grip for additional comfort and to prevent it from riding up.
- It improves speed and ease of movement
- It has a semi-auto lock breakaway zip for easy entrance and removal
- It does not absorb water
- It refuses drag and chafe
- It comes with a silicone made leg grip to prevent it from riding up
- You may find it difficult using the zip, a little assistance will help you a long way
Synergy Men’s SynSkin Triathlon Swimskin
Every triathlete needs adequate comfort and durability when competing against the waves and the tide and this swimskin founds its way into the water sport with its high-tech hydrophobic fabrics. It has the USAT and FINA certification which means taking part in any tournament is possible and the bonded seams gives nothing but durability.
A firm fit swim wear that helps with your tri-apparel under the swim wear with advanced YKK auto locking zipper that aids in easy entrance and removal while making drag impossible inside the water, all thanks to its low-drag efficiency.
- It does not absorb water and encourages free gliding
- It has the USAT and FINA certification
- It gives comfort, compression and aids in flexibility
- It comes with the high-grade YKK auto-lock zipper system for easy usage
- Its premium quality hydrophobic fabrics are designed to resist drag and reduce chafe
- It has an amazing customer service and a fair pricing structure
- It fits a little tight when new
- It may permit chafe if you end with an improper size
- The zipper panel may often act a little difficult
Finding the Best Triathlon Swimskins
You have seen the various recommended products and may have started developing a liking to a certain brand but having a first-hand information on the things to look out for in the swimskin is very important especially, if you are buying for the first time.
For that reason, this market guide is all dedicated to help you completely with your final choice.
Swimskins are designed to wrap firmly and securely around your body frame especially since it has to be worn over the wetsuit. So, when getting one double-check on the size and be sure to get a swanskin that can take you and your race kit on without any inconveniences.
Additionally, the snugly-fit will help you swim without wiggling which will also be useful in preventing fatigue and also improve the swimskin buoyancy.
For maximum speed and smooth transition inside the water, you can count on the swimskins for that and the exceptional features of some brands. Some swimskin brands have the patented arm system that supports flexibility and mobility incredibly.
So, if you are a lover of speed in the water, you can look out for swimskins with special features like this for that “speed of light” movement you only fantasized about now made possible in swimskins.
Compression and Tightness
Swimskins are usually good in giving compression and comfort while streamlining your body with suit and assist you gently glide through the water. However, in getting a swimskin get one that will give the right amount of compression even with your race wear underneath it.
For tightness, the swimskin has to fit tightly, you may even need help from your friend or a fellow triathlete in the zipping of the suit, if not, it will fit loosely and flap against your body. When this happens, drag resistance may be inhibited.
In whatever case, getting the proper fitness for comfort is still the guide here because your convenience matters so much when you are off the land.
Know the Difference Between a Wetsuit and a Swimskin
Even when swimskins and wetsuit are often used interchangeably and are both used by triathletes, they mean different swim wears. So, if you are going for a swimskin, be sure to know the difference between the two so that you do not get the wrong piece for the tournament.
A wetsuit is a triathlon wear worn in cold water temperatures, while swimskins are worn during warmer temperatures and are designed to compress the body to align with your body form inside the water always.
A swimskin can be worn over the wetsuits in places where wetsuit is not approved, they are also worn over the tri-suit but it does not give buoyancy and warmth like the wetsuit.
One of the things it stands out with is the smooth compression and how it streamlines the body smoother and flexible to flow with the water.
USAT and FINA Legalized
Having a swimskin with the necessary certification is important as it will hand you acceptability in any water games you participate. So, as you make up your mind on the swimskin to get double-check on its USAT status.
Also, you need to be sure that the swimskin you are purchasing adheres to the USAT swimskin rules.
The Hydrophobic Material
Materials used in swimskins are mostly high-tech hydrophobic fabrics that is made to resist water and reduce drag, which is one of the immediate needs of any triathlete. So, remember to look out for any brand that comes with hydrophobic fabrics.
How to Wear a Swimskin?
A swimskin is designed to fit snugly on the body, while it gives speed a great pace it performs perfectly when worn perfectly and here is how to have it done.
In wearing a swimskin, there are certain conditions to adhere if you need that perfect performance all the time.
They are worn over the tri-suit and they help to reduce friction in water.
Be Wary of Compression
Swimskins are designed specifically to give compression flexibility for smooth transition however, it is important to get the right compression fitting on ground.
Agreeably, it should be tight but not too tight as they will be tighter inside the water and the compression will be more inside the water. What to do with the right compression is to get the sizing right for a comfortable compression.
The Zip and Lanyard Panels
Most swimskins come with closure panels, when wearing them take care to get the zip down completely before sliding into the suit so that you don’t expose it to quick damage.
When you want to remove it, if you experience any difficulty pulling the zip downwards, you can seek the assistance of your fellow triathlete in the dressing room. As some swimskins can be a tad stressing to work free.
Generally, reading the owner’s instructions on your swimskin will give you a detailed knowledge on hoe to wear and maintain your swimskin for a lasting performance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Swim Network Overview
Hearing “not legal” in some sport competition has always been the drear of triathletes forcing them to explore for alternative costumes or swim apparel to use that will not set them up for difficulties and hindrances in the competition. That has desire ushered the innovation of swimskins as a covering for other existing swim wears.
All thanks to swimskins, in places where your wetsuit is not welcome as legal, if you have a swimskin your chances of emerging victorious are high. Apart from this and other benefits, getting the best swimskin may be a problem when you do not know what to expect from them and the features that meets your needs.
Because, your satisfaction is important, these unique features have been carefully addressed here and to further help you with your choice, I recommend the HUUB Design Men’s Triathlon Swimskin for maximum comfort and smooth movement and transition. For affordability, you can count on TYR Men’s Torque Lite Triathlon Swimskin, and for veterans, ROKA Men’s Viper Pro Swimskin for Triathlon is a great choice.
I hope you found this article helpful. Please feel free to share your thought in the comment section below.