Swimming is of great benefit to kids, contributing to the physical, mental and social development of your kid. It also increases the happy time of your kid. However, you need to train your kid adequately with the right equipment and coach.
Whilst you purchase the swimming goggles and swim vest, you should also purchase a swim cap for your child. Swim caps help to improve your child’s comfort, confidence, speed, safety, and even your appearance.
Parents are faced with having to find a suitable swim cap for their child. To save time, I have assembled a list comprising the top 15 best swim caps for toddlers and kids. Also, I have highlighted some criteria you need to know if you really want to make the best purchase. I have also included other important information in this article.
Why Do You Need Swim Caps for Your Children?
Swim caps are special caps, mostly elastic in nature, used to cover your child’s hair when swimming. They are made from many materials and can come in different sizes and colors. Whether your child is a beginner or not, always ensure they wear a swim cap. It comes with a number of benefits that I will be discussing below.
To Keep Your Child’s Hair from Getting Wet
Swim caps are made from elastic materials such as latex, silicone, lycra, and neoprene. Their elastic nature helps them stay firm on the head. Swim caps create a seal that prevents water from reaching your child’s hair (head).
Without a swim cap, your child’s hair can suck up the pool water thus creating a mess when he or she exits the pool. You or child may have to spend some time drying the hair.
You should never expect a 100-percent water block-off. A little amount of water may still leak into the cap. However, it’s just a little amount of water which is better than having a fully soaked hair. Your child’s hair can easily get dry with that small quantity of water.
To Pack Your Child’s Hair in One Place
If your child has got long hair, he or she may have less comfort and some issues with visibility. Since your child’s hair is loose, it may spill in any direction even to their face, obstruction vision.
In this case, wearing a swim cap will be great. Swim caps come in several sizes and you should definitely see one that will accommodate your child’s hair.
You are looking for ways to protect your child’s hair, then you need to purchase a swim cap. Water can contain several things including chemicals and microorganisms.
In the case of chemicals, pool water often contains chemicals (such as chlorine) used as sanitizers to keep users safe. These chemicals are not friendly to the hair and damage your child’s beautiful hair. Without swim caps, microorganisms can also get stuck in your child’s hair.
The body loses a great amount of heat via the head. Some swim caps such as those made from neoprene are thick and more resistant to heat conductivity. This type of swim caps can serve as insulators. They can protect your child from heat loss especially in cold or open water.
Having loose hair in the water can affect your child's hydrodynamics. In fact, merely exposing your child's hair in water can play a significant role in reducing hydrodynamics. You want to make your child streamlined as possible to keep him or her ahead of rivals.
To achieve a well-streamlined shape in the water, investing in a good swim cap is the way to go. Furthermore, after acquiring a good swim goggle, you can use a cap to eliminate drag caused by the goggle.
See Also: 15 Prescription Goggles for Swimming
Keeping the Pool Clean
Wearing swim caps for your child in public pools show your commitment to keeping the pool clean. It prevents strands of hair from littering the pool water.
Having strands of hair in the water can pose much threat to the useful life of the pool filters. If every swimmer uses a swim cap, the pool can be kept cleaner. Thus, it also reduces the upkeep of the pool since the pool filters last longer.
Improves Your Child’s Visibility in the Water
Swim caps have colors that are quite visible underwater. In case of any emergency, your child can be easily spotted and rescued.
Which Is the Best Swim Cap for Toddlers and Kids?
If you are looking for quick answers, you are at the right section. However, I will advise you read other segments of this article for a full knowledge of the swim caps.
- Best Overall: TYR Wrinkle Free Silicone Swim Cap for Kids
"Well-contoured, wrinkle-free, ideal swim cap for competitive swimming."
- Runner Up: Speedo Silicone Junior Swim Cap
"No-snag build material, skin-friendly, perfect swim cap for kids concerned about performance."
- Best Budget: Speedo Latex Junior Swim Cap
"Highly elastic, durable, lightweight, an inexpensive way to swim to victory."
- Best for Long Hair: Friendly Swede Silicone Kids Swim Cap
"Non-toxic, hair-friendly, child-friendly, can accommodate varying lengths of hair."
- Best to Keep Hair Dry: Aegend Silicone Swim Cap for Kids
"Stretchy, quality build material, possesses great water-sealing ability."
- Best to Keep Water Out of Ears: COPOZZ Silicone Kids Swim Cap
"Soft, attractive, great for training in water for long periods."
- Best for Babies: Splash About Toddler Swim Cap
"Colorful, skin-friendly, offers great comfort to kids."
Swimming Cap Shops Near Me
When purchasing a swim cap for your kid or toddler, it is advisable to get from a shop nearby. This give you the chance to get help easily and at any time. Not just any shop, but a reputable shop with impressive customer service.
Asides from the physical shop, technology has brought shops closer into our hands. If you do not want to utilize physical shops, you can shop online. There are many online shops with great customer and delivery services.
Whenever you want to pick a shop (either physical or online), look out for their customer reviews. This important so you don't witness heartbreaks. Their product return program should also be easy in case you need to use it.
You also take note of some other details such as their opening and closing times. You can find the nearest swimming cap shop near you on the internet, however, you can make use of this map below.
Comparison of Top 15 Best Swim Caps for Children 2020
When you are finally set to buy a swim cap for your child, it is ideal to check out the best swim caps for your youngster. You don't want make any mistake or endanger your child. You want the best quality that will last awhile before replacement.
Except you're used to this swim cap store, you might have issues getting the best from the vast number of swim caps available. It doesn't make much either to keep coming back. Hence to keep you away from the store, I've collated the best swim caps for toddlers and kids that are currently available in market.
Below is a comparison table contain quick analysis of the selected products. I will advise you also read up the detailed reviews of each product for accurate decision-making.
Best Swim Caps for Toddlers and Kids Reviews 2020
You do not have to spend much to protect your child. However, you can spend so much if you do not find the best swimming cap. For better decision-making, here are the full reviews of each product I found worthy of being on my list.
TYR Wrinkle Free Silicone Swim Cap for Kids
(Best Overall - Editor's Choice)
TYR is one popular brand in the swimming world. It manufactures a number of products including swimsuits and goggles. Its quality products affirm the reason for its continued relevance in the market. You can complete your child’s outfit by purchasing the TYR Wrinkle-free silicone swim cap.
Well, it is not all about getting a complete TYR outfit for your kid. You should also know the impressive features of this product. The swim cap is one durable product for both competitive swimming, relaxation and training purposes. It is soft and doesn’t press into your child’s head.
It is made from a high-grade silicone that can withstand rigors of daily use and improper handling. Since it is silicone, your child enjoys a similar experience to latex swim caps without any allergic reaction. The swim cap is well-rounded to sit on your child’s head with relative ease. The swim cap is also made resistant to wrinkles for better hydrodynamics.
On the interior, the swim cap is made to be non-slip for a better grip on your child’s head regardless of their hair length.
- It is made from silicone, a non-allergenic material.
- It is well-contoured and resistant to wrinkles.
- It is soft on the skin and comes with a non-slip interior.
- It can be used for competitions, recreation and practice swimming.
- It is produced by a popular brand.
- A pack contains two swim caps.
- The swim cap is available in different colors.
- Not the best option for those with long hair.
See Also: 17 Best Baby Swimsuits
Speedo Silicone Junior Swim Cap
This Speedo product is designed for young emerging swimmers. It is aimed at motivating them to become one of the world's superstars. It is made for juniors, children of ages 8 - 13.
The swim cap is made from silicone, a widely accepted non-allergenic, elastic material. The cap is lightweight, weighing about 1.6 ounces. You shouldn't bother your child's comfort.
The cap is one-size-fits-all and can be worn by almost all head sizes within the aforementioned age range. The contoured shape of the goggle ensures that it stays fit in your child's head. Asides fitting properly, it improves your child's hydrodynamics. It is easy to put on or off even without your aid.
In terms of aesthetics, the swim cap is available in different colors, numbering up to four. Impressively, the colors are the most demanded colors - white, black, pink and blue. The Speedo logo is beautifully stamped at the front of the cap.
- It can accommodate a wide range of head sizes.
- It weighs 1.6 ounces which is lightweight.
- It is made from non-allergenic materials.
- It flaunts a contoured shape that improves hydrodynamics.
- It is easy to put on and off.
- It comes from a reputable brand.
- It is available in four most-demanded colors.
- It doesn’t perform well after a needle-like puncture.
- Not the best for people with long hair and braids.
Speedo Latex Junior Swim Cap
Speedo caps are always of great quality. As expected, this product does affirm their quality. From the design to the thickness, the cap is exceptional. It is one of the best children's swimming caps for long hair. It is designed to cater to the swimming needs of juniors.
Unlike the previous caps, this swim cap is built from the popular material - Latex. Due to its built material, it is very durable and highly elastic. Thanks to its elasticity, the swim cap can be worn or put off with great ease. The length of your child's hair doesn't matter as it will always accommodate your child's hair.
Another intriguing benefit of Latex swim caps is their lightweight. They barely burden down the swimmer. The cap, thanks to its elasticity, seals efficiency on your child's head. Additionally, the goggles help provide your child with maximum UV protection.
The swim cap flaunts an impressive structural design. It comes with edges that are scalloped. This feature makes the cap resistant to tear. Also, it keeps the cap from rolling off your child's hard.
If your child is the picky type, he or she has the privilege of selecting from the five colors available.
- It is affordable.
- It is lightweight.
- It offers great durability and elasticity.
- It is comfortable on the head while providing better water sealing.
- It provides maximum UV protection.
- The edges are designed uniquely to improve its anti-tear and anti-roll ability.
- It comes in a number of colors giving your child options to pick from.
- Not the best option for allergic swimmers.
- It requires more maintenance.
See Also: 17 Best Swim Diapers
Friendly Swede Silicone Kids Swim Cap
(Best for Long Hair)
The Friendly Swede Silicone kids swim cap is quite popular in the swim cap section. Ever since it entered the market, it has garnered a number of positive reviews. From my in-depth review of the product, it poses as the best option for your youngster. Due to its durability, your child can decide to use the product for competitions, recreation or even training.
In the pack, you have two swim caps of different colors. You can put on both caps for extra waterproof ability. It also comes in three color combinations. The swim cap is thick and capable of providing some degree of warmth to your child.
It comes with an ergonomic design that also features ear pockets to protect your child’s ear. It is sleek, wrinkle-free and well-contoured, ensuring your child is streamlined as possible.
The cap is very easy to wear or put off. It is soft on the skin and doesn’t trigger any allergies. Interestingly, it has a 90-day money-back guarantee, as well as, a lifetime warranty.
See Also: 13 Best Swim Caps for Long Hair
- The swim cap comes with ear covers.
- It can accommodate both long and short hair.
- It comes with a wrinkle-free and contoured design to keep your child streamlined.
- It comes in a pair and with a 90-day money-back guarantee and a lifetime warranty.
- It is very easy to put on or off.
- It is sold in three different colors.
- It is soft on the skin and hypoallergenic.
- Not for small children.
Aegend Silicone Swim Cap for Kids
(Best to Keep Hair Dry)
Are you looking for an exceptional swimming cap? This Aegend product should be on your checklist. It has the durability and quality you need for your child. The pack contains two caps which can be worn by children from the ages of 2 to 12.
The caps are colorful, mostly coming in 5 colors that are in high demand. In short, it offers decent aesthetics to improve your child's appearance. The cap resemblances the jelly fish due its smaller opening. This helps to keep the cap in place whilst still cover the ears securely.
Interestingly, the interior of the cap is anti-slip, meaning that it won't just come off when swimming. As you may have guessed, it is made from silicone. This means the cap is non-toxic, non-allergenic and durable.
Also, the fact that Aegend is popular brand gives a breather. Despite all the incredible credentials of this Cap, it still comes with a 12-month guarantee.
- It covers the ears and can accommodate long hair.
- It comes with anti-slip interior.
- It comes two in a pack, making it budget-friendly.
- It is made from non-toxic, non-allergenic, tear-resistant and odorless material.
- It comes in 5 color combinations.
- It can be worn by two-year-olds.
- It is sold by a reputable brand.
- It comes with a 12-month guarantee.
- Doesn’t provide much warmth in cold waters.
COPOZZ Silicone Kids Swim Cap
(Best to Keep Water Out of Ears)
At first sight, your child should be pushing you to get this product. It is an attractive product and you may be forced to buy even before checking its quality. Luckily, the product doesn't disappoint, making it a worthy mention on this list. It not only captivates the eye but it's also of great quality.
The exquisite design is modeled after a fish and comes with projections that resemble the fins of a fish. It is brightly colored and the cap is available in 8 different color themes. It is designed for kids and toddlers of ages 3 to 5.
The cap is very elastic and durable. This is because it is made from the popular silicone which is also an elastic material. It stretches excellently, covers the head of those with short hair and ears. Your child can use it in a beach resort, water aerobics, competitions and even as a shower cap.
On the inside of the cap, there are grooves that keep the cap in place, preventing it from slipping off your child's head. However, it is easy to remove and put back on. With the swim cap, your child can remain the focus of the crowd in any competition which gives him or her an edge over rivals.
- Your child can be spotted easily both in the crowd and in the water.
- It comes with an anti-slip feature on the inside of the cap.
- The cap is made from an elastic material, silicone, and stretches well over the head and on to the ears.
- It has an attractive design.
- It is available in 8 different colors.
- It is skin-friendly and non-allergenic.
- It covers the ear, protecting your child from the swimmer’s ear infection.
- Not for children with long hair.
- Not good enough to maintain warmth.
Splash About Toddler Swim Cap
(Best for Babies)
If you are looking for a decent cap for your little child, see the Splash About Toddler swim cap. It is the perfect swim cap to match your baby’s swimming wears. It is the ideal cap for babies from 0 to 18+ months. It is made specially for them and will definitely not fall off during use.
The cap is made from Lycra, a combination of Spandex and nylon. It is high quality and soft with a little level of elasticity. It can be used in either outdoor or indoor pools for recreation. It fit snuggly and it is the ideal cap for those sensitive to latex.
The swim cap is less elastic but can be worn on your child with relative ease. Due to this attribute, the sits comfortably on the head without causing any marks. It is less reactive to chlorine and also easy to wash and dry.
For maximum under water protection, the cap protects you from harmful UV rays. At the same time, the cap is lightweight and your child should complain of any burden. The cap is available in several colors, meaning your child should always find the best for themselves. Just like other lycra swim caps, they cap can be used for maintaining body temperature.
- It can be worn by babies of 0 to 18 months.
- It is made from Lycra, a soft, skin-friendly, non-toxic and hypoallergenic material.
- It is easy to put on or get off.
- It is not too elastic and won’t cause any mark on your face.
- It is available in 11 color themes.
- It is lightweight.
- It provides excellent protection from ultraviolet rays.
- It offers less waterproof efficiency.
- It does not cover the ears.
Speedo Lycra Solid Kids Swim Cap
Here is an impressive product from Speedo. The product is for kids between the ages of 3 to 9. It is big enough to accommodate the long hair of kids within this age range. It comes in different attractive colors that will definitely appeal to your child.
This time, it is made from Lycra. Lycra is a hypoallergenic material that is, at the same time, skin-friendly. It is super light on the head and fairly elastic. Due to the elastic nature of Lycra, the cap comes with an elastic band to keep the cap fit.
The cap is durable and can withstand even the harshest condition your child can subject it to. One intriguing attribute of the cap is its ability to dry quickly after use. At the same time, it lightweight which means increase approval rating from your child.
The cap offers superior UV protection to your child's hair (and head). To cap it all, the cap comes with a 6-month guarantee.
- Lycra Swim caps, such as this product, are hypoallergenic and skin-friendly.
- The swim cap dries quickly.
- The product is ultralight.
- It offers superior UV protection.
- It comes with an elastic band at the bottom to keep it firm on the head.
- It comes with a 6-month guarantee.
- It is available in six different colors.
- It is not as elastic as rubber and silicone swim caps.
TYR La Vengadora Kids Swim Cap
(Most Attractive Competition Swim Cap)
The TYR La Vengadora kids swim cap will definitely catch the sight of your ward. It doesn’t come in different color designs but in one design that is quite colorful and appealing. It is designed for children between the ages of 8 to 13.
The colorful swim cap is made from 100 percent silicone that is highly durable. Impressively, the cap can withstand several hours of use without snapping. Once you take it off your child’s head, it regains its natural shape as it hadn’t been used. Since is made from silicone, it doesn’t trigger any allergy nor cause any skin reaction.
Every child wants something lightweight and, yet, effective. Fortunately, this product is lightweight and such constitute less weight to your young swimmer. It is also made super soft for increased comfort.
On the inside of the cap, the cap stays firm with the aid of the anti-slip design. It doesn’t just fly off your child’s head. At the same time, it is super easy to take off and put on.
To maximize your speed, the swim cap is well-streamlined and tested to be wrinkle-free. It seals firmly on your child’s head. With this product, your child should enjoy all-round comfort and premium hair protection.
- It flaunts a colorful design.
- It is lightweight.
- It is made from hypoallergenic materials.
- It is anti-slip and tear-resistant.
- It is wrinkle-free.
- Comes from a reputable brand.
- It is not available in many colorful designs.
TYR Sport Kid's Charac Happy Fish Swim Cap
(Best for Training)
If you are looking for a swim cap that combines fashion and quality, you have got that in the TYR Sports Kid's Charac HappyFish Swim Cap. It has all it takes to be among the best swim caps for Toddlers and Kids. It's got all the durability and the capacity to protect your child's hair.
It is another product on this list with a quality silicone construction. It is tested and trusted to give your child an edge in all activities. It works well for professional, recreation and practice swimming.
The appearance of the swim cap is quite different from other caps, showcasing a different design and color theme. The product resembles a fish in terms of design. It comes with protruding parts that portray the fins of a typical fish. In short, it is quite innovative of the manufacturer and the cap should impress your child.
Despite the Fin-like projections, it is optimized for great hydrodynamics. It does well to stay firm on your child's head. At the same time, it is easy to pull off or wear.
- It is made of skin-friendly and non-allergenic materials.
- It is available in three color designs.
- Appealing look: the cap showcases a design resembling a fish.
- It is durable and soft in your child’s tender head.
- It can be pulled off or worn by your kid without any aid.
- It offers great hydrodynamics.
- It doesn’t cover the ears.
TYR Lycra Swim Cap
If you are looking to get a recreational swim cap for your child, check out the TYR Lycra Swim Cap. It doesn't matter the length of your child's hair, this swim cap is going to contain it with ease. It is fairly elastic but does come with an elastic band sewn into the mouth of the cap. With this, it holds securely and comfortably on your child's head.
The swim cap is made from the popular non-allergenic material, Lycra. It lightweight and should not feel as extra luggage for your kid. It is durable and can perform excellently when used for recreational purposes.
It is large enough to contain your child's hair be it long or short. It is also available in 6 different colors - pink, navy blue, red, black, white and royal blue. You should never bulge to buy the cap as it is also available at a pocket-friendly price.
- The build material doesn’t trigger any form of allergy.
- The product comes in 6 different colors.
- It is big enough to accommodate swimmers with long hair.
- It is durable and can meet up with the needs of recreational swimming.
- It is fairly pocket-friendly.
- It doesn’t provide enough insulation benefits, hence, you should check the temperature of the pool before your child jumps in.
Swimtastic Lycra Kids Swim Cap
(Best for Recreation)
The Swimtastic Swim Cap is another fantastic Lycra swim cap on my list. It is the perfect option for kids wanting to play around or with water. It's just the best for recreational swimming as it is soft and comfortable on the head.
The swim cap does well in preventing UV rays from reaching your child's head. It is neither too tight or loose on the thanks to the elastic material sewn into the bottom (opening). It doesn't pull your child's hair during use but packs it neatly.
The cap is not too elastic hence you can easily put it on or off your child. It dries out quickly just like most Lycra Swim caps. The cap is available in five different colors in case your child is the picky type. It is available black, blue, purple, pink or orange so you have options to match with their outfit (swimsuit).
- It is available in 5 different colors.
- It is lightweight.
- It offers maximum protection from UV rays.
- It dries quickly.
- It doesn’t pick on the hair.
- It is easy to put on or off.
- The cap should not be considered for serious professional swimming. It’s best for recreation.
Happy Will Long Hair Swimming Cap for Kids
The Happy Will swim cap is for parents looking for a recreation cap for their kids. It is one of the most attractive products on my list. It is made from Lycra which is 80 percent nylon and 20 percent of fabric. This means more comfort when compared to other build materials such as latex and silicone.
The cap fairly elastic, however, it has an elastic band sewn into the bottom to keep it fit on the head of swimmers. It can contain child’s hair either long or short. Since it is less elastic, your child doesn’t need your aid in putting it on or off.
The design of the cap is quite buoyant and any child seeing it will be impressed at first sight. The cap is lightweight and should be easy to carry by your child. Also, it gives your child’s hair a breather since it’s not too tight. It is very easy to clean and it dries up quickly when wet.
- It is non-toxic, skin-friendly and non-allergenic.
- It is lightweight.
- It has a flamboyant color.
- It is comfortable, soft and breathable.
- It is easy to clean and dry.
- It can accommodate most kids.
- It doesn’t slip off the head.
- Not ideal for training or competitive swimming.
Water Gear Critter Kids Swimming Cap
(Best for Toddlers)
Although the product comes from a less popular brand, it sure deserves to be on this list. It is an awesome swim cap made from silicone to offer you an impressive swimming experience. It has a modest price tag so you’ve got no excuse not to buy.
To the delight of those with allergies to latex, the product is free from latex. In short, it will not trigger any allergies in your child. It is thick and, yet, very elastic. It can accommodate children within the ages of 3 to 8 without tearing apart of staying loosely.
The product is durable and comfy. Importantly, it is tear-resistant, easy to wear and put off. It doesn’t come in much colors but it is very attractive. The funny animal design is just an innovative way by the manufacturer to capture the love of your youngster. Interestingly, the colors of the swim cap don’t fade off.
- It comes in funny animal designs that kids will love.
- It is safe to use, thanks to its build material.
- It is stretchy and durable.
- The colors do not fade out.
- It is the heaviest on my list.
- It doesn’t come in many colors.
Start Smart Kids Fun Silicone Swim Cap
This swim cap, as its name suggest, is for emerging superstars looking to start smart. It does pretty well in keeps water out of the hair. It is child-friendly - attractive in looks and easy to wear. It is not just a swim cap but a well-fabricated one.
Just like most swim caps on my list, the Start Smart swim cap is fabricated from silicone, making it safe for your child. The silicone material is durable and will withstand several stretching, wearing and mishandling. It is stretchy and easy to put on or off quickly.
The manufacturer includes anti-slip grooves on the inside of the cap to ensure that it stays firmly and comfortably. It can be worn for leisure, competitive races and even for bathing.
On the aspect of aesthetics, the cap is quite alluring. It flaunts a colorful fish-like design. While your child is impressed by the looks, you can easily spot your child in the crowd even if deep in the water. It is a good choice of purchase for boys and girls of ages 3 to 12 regardless of their hair length.
To cap it all, the product comes with a lifetime warranty.
- It comes with an anti-slip interior.
- It flaunts an alluring design that is available in 4 color themes.
- It is colorful, making it easy to spot your kid in the crowd.
- It is made from silicone.
- It is comfy and soft on the head.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- It is lightweight.
- Kids at the extreme of the age range may have issues with the cap.
Things to Look out for When Buying a Swim Cap for Your Kid or Toddler [Buying Guide]
Swim caps are a great form of protection for your child's hair. They prevent water from reaching your child's hair. Of course, they are elastic so as to keep them tight. These caps make your child more hydrodynamic when swimming.
It also keeps hair away from your face. Also, they can be used to improve your child's appearance. They are available in various sizes, colors, designs, and shapes. In fact, swim caps can differ from each other based on build material.
Swim caps are not really expensive but you do not have to keep spending on swim caps. Therefore, you should pick a suitable swim cap that will last long. Unfortunately, the complexity of the market isn't helping especially if you're a first-time parent. There are so many choices to pick from and one may get overwhelmed.
Now I have picked out the important things you need to look out for in a swim cap. Your requirements, apart from the price tag, also matter in the selection process. Whatever cap you get, your child should be comfortable in it. Below are the criteria for picking the best swim caps for toddlers and kids.
Age of Your Kid
Due to the varying sizes of swim caps, you get to encounter swim caps that fit and those that can barely stay well. Not every Cap will fit, hence, caps are categorized based on ages. Obviously, the smaller caps will be for toddlers and the bigger ones for juniors.
You should never make the mistake of buying an oversized cap. Some caps may be branded as one-size-fits-all but you should ensure their build materials are very elastic. You don't want a cap that won't regain its shape after two or three use.
In a nutshell, ensure you pick a cap that falls within the age bracket of your child. Some caps without the age limit label mostly come with sizing charts.
Length of Your Child's Hair
You might be more concerned if your child has long hair. You need a soft, big and elastic cap that will comfortably accommodate the length of your child's hair. You need to read the package carefully to confirm that. Most times, you will find the word "long" on the pack.
Swim caps are made from some popular materials. These materials include neoprene, rubber (latex), silicone and Lycra. These materials varying in strength, durability, and elasticity.
Rubber swim caps are the best and most elastic of all. They are soft in the skin and less expensive. Unfortunately, Latex is a known trigger for allergies, hence, it is not for everyone. Silicone Swim caps, on the other hand, are thicker and easy to maintain but they are heavier and more expensive.
Neoprene caps offer more insulation in water but are a little heavier than Lycra swim caps. Lycra caps are super light but more susceptible to damage.
Purpose and Usage Frequency
Swimming can either be for competition, recreation or practice. Just like there are goggles for each purpose, there are swim caps for each purpose too.
Recreation swim caps are often very comfortable, soft and are not as rugged as competition swim caps. Competition caps, however, are less comfortable, lightweight and very hydrodynamic. They are well designed to keep you streamlined in water whilst preserving your lead. They barely slack or tear.
Practice swim caps are somehow in the intermediary. They bare comfortable, durable, rugged and light. They are designed for and can withstand daily or frequent use.
If your child is the picky type, you will need to consider the design of the cap before finalizing the purchase. Children are more attracted to colors hence some manufacturers have keyed into this fact. They are churning out colorful swim caps that will captivate them.
There are caps with single colors and some with multicolor design. Some caps have designs resembling graffiti and some caps even resemble a fish.
There are some other things you need to look out for. For instance, Speedo gives a money-back guarantee and warranty for some of its products. You might be looking to capitalize on this.
Some caps have a non-slip interior which may be beneficial for those with long hair. Some swim caps are known for their thickness. This feature helps to prevent heat loss, especially in the cold (or open) water.
Popular Build Materials for Swim Caps
Swim caps are made from different materials. I will be discussing the popular materials as well as highlighting their pros and cons.
Rubber or Latex
Rubber is one of the most commonly used material for manufacturing swim caps. They are known for their elasticity and durability.
- They are highly elastic.
- They are cheaper.
- Rubber swim caps can last long.
- It is great for long hair.
- They can be written on.
- Some people are allergic to rubber.
- They require more maintenance.
- They come in single colors.
Lycra is a result of recycled nylon and fabric. They are lightweight but less elastic.
- They are lightweight.
- They are cheap.
- Good option for recreational water activities.
- They do not tangle or pick the hair.
- They are less elastic.
- They have a low water sealing ability.
Silicone Swim caps are quite popular in the market. One way or the other, you must have seen a silicone swim caps. They are very colorful.
- They are elastic.
- They are durable.
- They are non-allergenic.
- They are available in many colors.
- They are easy to remove.
- They slip off easily than latex swim caps.
Neoprene is the material used for making swimsuits. That means you have the same time type of material serving as a swim cap. They are thicker. They help to retain body heat, making them good insulators.
- They are good heat insulators.
- They are soft on the skin.
- They are hypo-allergenic.
- They are expensive.
How to Put Swimming Cap on Child?
You've got the best swimming cap for your child. You've checked the size and other details of the cap and it matches well. Now it's time to put the swimming cap on your child's head. If you don't know how to go about it, carefully read my tips below. Even if it's not your first time, you should also go through my instructions to ensure you're doing it right.
- Before wearing the swimming cap on your child, you should wet your child’s hair a little with clean water. You may also comb in some condition to prevent tangling.
- If your child’s hair is long, you need to tie it. Do not tie the hair up. Doing that may create tension on your child’s scalp, making it uncomfortable for them.
- The hair is tied up and set. Pick up the cap, spread your fingers into the cap. One hand on one side and the other on the opposite side. Make sure it is arranged over your knuckles and carefully stretch the cap outwards. If you have sharp nails, be careful not to tear the cap with them.
- Instruct your child to stand in your front such that he or she is backing you.
- Gently put down the cap on their head. You should focus on starting from the front. When you start feeling your child’s brow, then the cap is well set at the front.
- Carefully put down the cap over the head till it covers the rear.
- Check for hairs that are stuck outside and gently tuck them into the cap. Check to adjust the cap for greater comfort. If the cap is a type that covers the ear, ensure it stays properly in the ear.
- To remove the cap, put your hand under the cap, stretch the cap outwards and lift.
Maintaining Your Child’s Swimming Cap
Swim caps do not require much maintenance. As much as they are rugged, just that little maintenance can go a long way in improving the useful life of the Cap. Below are some useful tips you need to follow.
- Never use your nails to stretch the cap or tuck in your child’s hair.
- Always rinse the cap after swimming. This will help to prevent the growth of molds in the cap.
- Never dry the cap in the sun or under intense heat. This may damage the elasticity of the cap. Instead, you should air dry.
- For caps made from rubber, it is possible for the interior to become sticky. To avoid this, you can add some talc before storing it.
- Always store in a cool, dry place.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do you have any question? You can use the comment box below. However, I've compiled some frequently asked questions and answered them. I hope you will get one or two information from them.
Swim Network Overview
The importance of swim caps cannot be overemphasized. The hydrodynamics they offer, the protection they provide and the aesthetics they offer are the major reasons why you should get one for your child. I hope my article has been able to enlighten you about swim caps and its market. Some misconceptions should have been cleared off by now.
From my list of the Top 15 Best Swim Caps for Toddlers and Kids, I have the TYR Wrinkle-Free Silicone Swim Cap for Kids as the overall best swim cap. It is closely followed by the Speedo Silicone Junior Swim Cap. I have just one latex swim cap, the Speedo Latex Junior Swim Cap, on my list and it happens to be the best budget swim cap.
You can purchase the Friendly Swede Silicone Kids Swim Cap if your child has a long hair. The TYR La Vengadora Kids Swim Cap is the most attractive in my list. The Splash About Toddler Swim Cap is decent for babies for water-related activities such as bathing.
It is possible you won't be making use of my list but the buying guide should put you through. The maintenance tips should help you maintain the cap. You should also be able to put it on your child with ease. By now you should be able to get the best swim cap for your child.
Have you used any of the swimming caps and you will like to share your experience? Do you have comments? Kindly use the comment section. You can also share this article with your friends on various social media platforms by clicking the social buttons below.